Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Mountaineer
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 06:28 AM   #1
cindyjphillips
AF Newbie

2002 v6 mountaineer won't start

I drove to the store and when I came out to start it.. It won't ... All the lights come on.. It's just clicks. . Battery is good... The only issue it has is sputtering when i drove it... I have replaced the starter relay.. I have no idea.. Suggestions please...
cindyjphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:45 AM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: 2002 v6 mountaineer won't start

Do you get a rapid series of clicks or only a single click? Is it a solid, loud click or a rather quiet click that you have to listen for to hear?

If it's a rapid series of clicks that's typically indicative of a low voltage condition to the starter solenoid. It could be a weak battery or a poor connection somewhere (at the battery, a corroded battery cable, or a loose connection at the starter relay/starter motor).

If it's a solid single click, that click is probably your starter relay trying to send power to the starter motor but the starter motor, for whatever reason, is not engaging. That could be a bad starter solenoid at the starter motor or a bad starter motor.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shorod For This Useful Post:
cindyjphillips (07-13-2015)
Old 07-12-2015, 07:11 PM   #3
cindyjphillips
AF Newbie

Single... Ty so much for reply... Single click..... Seems I can only get that piece from the ford dealership... Going tomorrow to try to buy one.. Fingers crossed!!! Thank you Rob...
Old 07-13-2015, 04:21 PM   #4
cindyjphillips
AF Newbie

I just put in a new starter and ignition relay.. Still that single click.... Ugh!! Please help...
Old 07-13-2015, 04:29 PM   #5
shorod
SHO No Mo

Since you're getting the single click this is a long shot, but try shifting to Neutral, then turn the key to Start. You will likely need to turn the key to Run and press the brake pedal in order to shift to Neutral.

If that gets the truck to start you're either lucky or you have an issue with the Transmission Range Sensor.

Also do you have a multimeter you can use to safely confirm you are getting good battery voltage to the starter motor and starter solenoid when the key is turned to the run position?

-Rod
The Following User Says Thank You to shorod For This Useful Post:
cindyjphillips (07-13-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 04:52 PM   #6
cindyjphillips
AF Newbie

I just tried to start it like you said.. Still that single click.. I pulled the battery out and had that tested.. They said it was great... I don't know what a multimeter is...
Old 07-14-2015, 06:30 AM   #7
shorod
SHO No Mo

I think you're now at a point where you need to get either a multimeter or a test light and do some voltage checks, or take the truck to a shop.

If you are interested in doing some voltage checks, I've included the applicable wiring diagrams for your automatic transmission Mountaineer. The places you'd want to check for voltage are where the battery cable attaches to the starter motor and at the starter motor solenoid. Testing at the solenoid will require two people - 1 to measure at the starter and one to turn the key to Start. If you don't have voltage at one of these locations then you need to work your way backward toward either the battery or toward the ignition switch.

If you do have battery voltage to the starter motor and starter solenoid (in Start) then that points to either a loose/dirty connection or a bad starter motor assembly.

-Rod

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Mountaineer