Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: Corvette C5 or Viper GTS?
Corvette C5 6 35.29%
Viper GTS 11 64.71%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 02:59 PM   #16
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by gang$tarr

I've driven all the cars I mentioned... so it's not like I'm magazine racing
Just putting down the facts a C5 vs. Viper is a dumb comparison

I dont know why you mentioned the good driver vs. skilled driver... that's obvious. We're talking about which car is better, so I don't know why you brought that up.

The viper needs a very skilled driver to get the full potential out of the car, I bet 90% of viper drivers cannot even come close to the full potential of their car.
So which kind of driver are you unskilled or skilled? How much track time do you have in both f these cars? How much of a difference in your assessmen did you take into consideration that a Viper pulls 1.03 G's on the skidpad? How much consideration did you consider the HUGE difference in TORQUE between these two cars. All of your freakin' magazines say that a Z can out perform a Viper is a bunch of hogwash. The biggest advantage that they all fall back to is comfort and price (give me a break).

Let's get one thing straight, you are obviously a Corvette bigot and you have completely missed the point of my reply. You also forgot to mention that 95% of the Corvette drivers would not be able to drive a Viper at the extreme ends of the perforrmance envelope. In you stupid statement, you make Viper drivers seem like idiots. You for one give Vette owners a bad name (if in fact you own one).

The Viper was designed to be a track car that happens to do a decent job on the street. It doesn't take advantage of prissy little girl features like traction control, ride softness adjustments and tampon holders. Why is it that 57% of C5 owners are women?

So you tell me what you thought of the Viper's understeer to oversteer transition? Tell me what you thought about the Viper going into a high speed drift turn? Tell me what you thought of the weight transfer and how it affected handling and braking? Tell me what you thought of the Viper's handling as you throttle steered it through a drift turn? Tell me what the Z06 felt like at 190 mph? Tell me why the Z06 needed 3.45 rearend gears and a shortened 1st gear just so it could stay with the Vipers performance numbers (and it has 3.07's)? Tell me why the over-boosted brakes on the Z06's still boil like crazy on track, and why the rotors are notorious for warping?

Tell me you aren't an armchair magazine bigot... I don't see anything here that tells me that you know anything about either of these cars (or that you have done anything more than drive one of these cars around the block).

Stick to your dyno queen and 1/4 mile BS numbers. If that is what makes a car for you, then you can have your Z06 (which I am sure you don't have the driving skills to appreciate). You Chevy bigots can thank the Viper for being responsible for the creation of the Z06. That's a fact.

Viper 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 03:52 PM   #17
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
There is no question that I would take the GTS over a C5.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 06:49 PM   #18
FYRHWK1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FYRHWK1
Quote:
Why is it that 57% of C5 owners are women?
I would LOVE to see some proof of this

Quote:
Tell me why the over-boosted brakes on the Z06's still boil like crazy on track, and why the rotors are notorious for warping?
and its overboosted brakes still stop it faster then the viper, and all factory rotors warp, all aftermarkets warp as well, rotors are a wear item, your vipers will do it too.

and we have the fact that the Fbodies are running similar 1/4 miles to the C5 for the Z06, we have the Cobra R to thank for the Z06, we have the fact GM is testing the LS6 mootr int he Z06s for later use to thank for the Z06, the viper? perhaps, but hardly a large reason. and if you want to compare, the Z06 runs close to it for how much less? if GM had as big a return on each vette as DC does they could put alot more into it, you're an idiot if you think price doesnt matter.
FYRHWK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 03:17 AM   #19
USA Racer
AF Enthusiast

The Corvette is the better car IMHO, for our age atleast. It's a MUCH better GT, and sports car. The Viper is a level ahead in almost all things performance though. My pick? I'd get a 02 factory modified FRC, aka the ZO6. A standard C5 would just fine though. It has sexy looks, slot car cornering, great power etc.

Keep in mind, I've never driven a Viper or ZO6. But I have driven a C5 twice. Once was an A4 Convertable, and the other was a M6 Coupe. Both were lovely.
USA Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 01:49 PM   #20
gang$tarr
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Viper 10

you are obviously a Corvette bigot
Whoa!

You totally misunderstood me, I would take the Viper over both the C5 and the Z06

I think it's a much better car but most drivers dont have the skill to use them to their full potential. If you own a viper you should know this, it takes skill to drive the viper right.

The C5 is no comparison to the viper, that is what I was saying earlier. That was a joke because the viper blows the C5 away.

The Z06 is a very good car too, but I would choose the GTS over it.
"Your ice don't shine an your chain hollow/ why you front in clubs for hours wit tha same bottle/ takin midget sips/ I run wit the richest clicks/ Tap the thickest chicks/ plus drop the slickest hits/ you know nothin about L/ so don't doubt L/ what's this muthafuckin rap game wit out L/ Yo that's like jewels wit out ice/ that's like china wit out rice/ or the holy bible wit out christ/ tha bulls wit out mike/ crack heads wit out pipes/ or hockey games wit out fights/ don't touch the mic if you aint able to spit/ flamboyant is tha label i'm wit.. muthafucka.... Big L"
gang$tarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 04:26 PM   #21
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Quote:
Originally posted by USA Racer
The Corvette is the better car IMHO, for our age atleast. It's a MUCH better GT, and sports car. The Viper is a level ahead in almost all things performance though. My pick? I'd get a 02 factory modified FRC, aka the ZO6. A standard C5 would just fine though. It has sexy looks, slot car cornering, great power etc.

Keep in mind, I've never driven a Viper or ZO6. But I have driven a C5 twice. Once was an A4 Convertable, and the other was a M6 Coupe. Both were lovely.
Don't say that, the Vipers would be doing much better in LeMans if they were factory backed. Look back to 1998 when the GTS-Rs were dominating. Though the GT cars are nothing like the street ones I just had to make a point there.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 01:46 AM   #22
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by FYRHWK1

you're an idiot if you think price doesnt matter.
Okay professor, then tell me why more and more people are making decisions to go with used Vipers, instead of new C5's? Other than your precious 1/4 mile times (which are heavily slanted in favor of Corvettes in all the rags). Let's not get personal about this you little douche bag.

Why don't you answer the questions that I posed to gang man about the characteristics of the Z06 or C5 (since you haven't driven a Viper yet). How many of your little rides around the block were on a road racing track? So just because you can do cute little burnouts and take a few turns in someone else's car, justifies you bad mouthing something that you have no experience with (other than what you read in the rags). Give me a feakin' break!

As far as your stupid comments about brakes, that is NOT a problem with stock Vipers. The problem with Viper brakes is ventilation. I have seen C5 brakes warp and crack after one track session. If you want to go into intimate details, we can on Viper brakes.

I have enough track time in the Snake under my belt to tell you almost everything that you need to know about Viper brakes. I have cooked the paint off of two sets of calipers, boiled the fluid about 2 dozen occasions, melted more pads than you have probably ever driven on in the ast 5 years... and more. In fact I am the one that got a racing brake designer to design a competition brake based on my car and track experience. That brake is now the defacto standard in the Michelin Series Race circuit. Do you want more dickhead? Do you want references?

These are two different cars built for completely different purposes. The Viper as a track car built to drive on the street and behaves like it (per Mario Andretti and Derek Bell). The Corvette is a great street car that performs to be a decent track car (the Z06 doing a better job). It's primary function is street driving.

You can critcize Vipers all you want about the lack of civility and creature comforts. Ask the C5 drivers if they would ever bite at the chance to get a Viper and I bet that 8 out of 10 would jump at it. In my circle of Vette friends (I am actively involved with 2 Vette clubs and cruise with about 5 clubs), I would say that all of them (who have driven my GTS Coupe) would jump at the chance to trade their Vettes. They don't compare the two cars, because they are very different.

By the way Polygon, the Le Mans powerplant and chassis are very closely releted to the le mans cars. I have friends like Erik Messley who have converted street Vipers that race ALMS races like Daytona and Sebring (of which he has 2 top tens in each of those races). Several of the Chaimberlain Racing Le Mans cars are converted street cars. It is very true, and you shouldn't be fooled.

So you need proof that the C5's are bought by more women than men... look around professor! Here in SoCal they out number men big time! I heard this statistic in a local Vette club and at SEMA (although they used a 55% number). The C5 crowd isn't made up of your loyal Corvette gearheads any more. They resemble the Harley Yuppie crowds.

Old 06-27-2002, 04:03 AM   #23
FYRHWK1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FYRHWK1
Quote:
Okay professor, then tell me why more and more people are making decisions to go with used Vipers, instead of new C5's? Other than your precious 1/4 mile times (which are heavily slanted in favor of Corvettes in all the rags). Let's not get personal about this you little douche bag.
you seem to be the one taking this personally, and i'd like proof of this comment on used vipers as well. and of course a USED car will be more palatable, my price argument was the manufacturers selling price, the more they can sell it for the more they can stuff into it, which means better the car can be.
i never said the viper wasnt faster, in fact i never said anything about the viper at all save for the brakes, and yes cooling is the issue, whatever it is the vipers brakes arent what they should be for 80K. and whether you're the reason for a new brake kit or not, it doesnt change the fact you're exagerrating the difference between the viper and Z06. is the viper faster? yup, does it handle better? maybe a bit, does it brake better? they're equal on this front, whether the cooling issue its at hand or not the Z06 stops faster, cracking rotor problem or not. and i've boiled my share of brake fluid, i learned most of what i know from researching things and talking with people in person, i dont have the means to test every car out there.
you seem to be very vehemenent about defending the viper, anyone whos smart knows the difference in the cars, and knows the price difference, for the money the Z06 is close enough, at roughly 30K more expensive the viper doesnt offer that much advantage, unless you're interested in a name.
FYRHWK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 03:23 PM   #24
gang$tarr
AF Fanatic

Quote:

Why don't you answer the questions that I posed to gang man about the characteristics of the Z06 or C5

As far as your stupid comments about brakes

Do you want more dickhead?

You are an immature prick, you're taking this thread way too personally.
Your personal attacks on people are what is truely stupid. I agree that the Viper is better than the C5 and Z06 (though the 6 comes close). but you're just another 50 year old balding viper driver, who thinks his viper is unbeatable.
Your car isn't the king of the roads buddy... so relax, people have their opinions you can't change that

Don't get your panties in a bunch granny
"Your ice don't shine an your chain hollow/ why you front in clubs for hours wit tha same bottle/ takin midget sips/ I run wit the richest clicks/ Tap the thickest chicks/ plus drop the slickest hits/ you know nothin about L/ so don't doubt L/ what's this muthafuckin rap game wit out L/ Yo that's like jewels wit out ice/ that's like china wit out rice/ or the holy bible wit out christ/ tha bulls wit out mike/ crack heads wit out pipes/ or hockey games wit out fights/ don't touch the mic if you aint able to spit/ flamboyant is tha label i'm wit.. muthafucka.... Big L"
gang$tarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 03:44 PM   #25
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

Wrong again... the Viper is very beatable and you missed the point. Driver skill counts!

I won't even address the brake issue because the '01 Vipers perform right on the Z06's performance within a couple of feet.

Debate stuff that you guys know about and not what you think the magazines say... it's all propaganda.

I'm done with your logic or lack there of. Gangstarr would ove to be in my shoes. Dream on!

Old 08-07-2002, 08:22 PM   #26
Fliquer
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Fliquer
Quote:
The Viper was designed to be a track car
I find that to be quite an exaggeration. While the Viper claims excelent slalom figures (around 72mph I think), it really doesn take well to actual track situations. Of the half-dozen auto-x events I've been to, nearly all the vipers I've seen (at least 6) ran lower lap times than WRXs, 300zxtts, and even slightly modified 240sx's (slightly modified as in $400 worth of suspension). And its not like these were crappy drivers. It takes real skill to make a beastly GTS coupe weave through cones and do quick 180 turns. They are great for going fast in a straight line, but a viper is too unbalanced to be called a "track car".

Z06s and normal C5s, on the other hand, were putting down respectable times. Respectable for muscle cars that is. About on a par with slightly modded miatas.
Urethane bushings in all control arms and subframe
Cone Filter
Next up: LSD

RIP #05
Fliquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 09:45 PM   #27
boosted331
AF Enthusiast

Quote:

So which kind of driver are you unskilled or skilled? How much track time do you have in both f these cars? How much of a difference in your assessmen did you take into consideration that a Viper pulls 1.03 G's on the skidpad? How much consideration did you consider the HUGE difference in TORQUE between these two cars. All of your freakin' magazines say that a Z can out perform a Viper is a bunch of hogwash. The biggest advantage that they all fall back to is comfort and price (give me a break).

Let's get one thing straight, you are obviously a Corvette bigot and you have completely missed the point of my reply. You also forgot to mention that 95% of the Corvette drivers would not be able to drive a Viper at the extreme ends of the perforrmance envelope. In you stupid statement, you make Viper drivers seem like idiots. You for one give Vette owners a bad name (if in fact you own one).

The Viper was designed to be a track car that happens to do a decent job on the street. It doesn't take advantage of prissy little girl features like traction control, ride softness adjustments and tampon holders. Why is it that 57% of C5 owners are women?

So you tell me what you thought of the Viper's understeer to oversteer transition? Tell me what you thought about the Viper going into a high speed drift turn? Tell me what you thought of the weight transfer and how it affected handling and braking? Tell me what you thought of the Viper's handling as you throttle steered it through a drift turn? Tell me what the Z06 felt like at 190 mph? Tell me why the Z06 needed 3.45 rearend gears and a shortened 1st gear just so it could stay with the Vipers performance numbers (and it has 3.07's)? Tell me why the over-boosted brakes on the Z06's still boil like crazy on track, and why the rotors are notorious for warping?

Tell me you aren't an armchair magazine bigot... I don't see anything here that tells me that you know anything about either of these cars (or that you have done anything more than drive one of these cars around the block).

Stick to your dyno queen and 1/4 mile BS numbers. If that is what makes a car for you, then you can have your Z06 (which I am sure you don't have the driving skills to appreciate). You Chevy bigots can thank the Viper for being responsible for the creation of the Z06. That's a fact.
Holy crap you sound like an idiot. A viper GTS will pull .98G's on the skidpad, a Z06 pulls 1.01. A viper is bigger and heavier than a Z06, and a Z06 will out handle one on a road course. It doesn't quite have the power to keep up on the straightaways. You know why a Z06 has 3.42 gears vs. the vipers 3.07's? Because a Z06 redlines 1500 RPM's higher than a viper, you fool.

Oh yeah: Z06 60-0: 109 FT
Viper 60-0: 126 FT

Vipers are great cars, but Z06's out handle and out break them. They're more affordable, and mods are more affordable too. You can bolt on some stage 2 heads and a cam for 4 grand, can you do that with a viper?
boosted331 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons