Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Cedric | M45 | J30 | Gloria
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 08:04 AM   #1
saw192837
AF Newbie

Angry Sold G20, Bought 1997 J30t, many questions, few answers! Help

Dear J30 Club,

I sold my G20, moved east to start grad school, and just bought a 1997 J30t with Champagne over Tan leather. The drivetrain seems incredibly powerful with that 300zx engine. However there are some problems with the car

While buying at "Omar and Muhammad's Used Car Lot" was cheap, there are somethings wrong with it. I know a little about the g20 but not much about the J30. Can anyone help me:

--The right front headlights do not work at all (either lights or brights). The left side works fine. I just bought this thing a few hours ago, and assuming it isn't the lights themselves (it's unlikely the bright lightbulb would be out as well). Is this a lamp (light bulb) problem, a fuse problem, or is it the "relay" that I have heard can go wrong?

--Also, what kind of headlights are standard on the j30, are they just plain halogen, and if so should I spring for those xenon lights they sell on ebay?

--The cdplayer skips so badly it is unplayable, and one of the radio buttons "3" is missing and unusable. I'll try to clean it, but failing that, should I just go to best buy to get a new mp3/cd player? Or a replacement bose, if so how do I find one cheap and is it easy to install? If I replace it with a sony unit, will it include the radio as well?

--My tires look pretty well worn. Any recommendations for a hot, snowless climate that does have significant rain?

--Somewhat wishful thinking, but I used to have a Jim Wolf Technology POP charger (JWT Air intake) for my old 1993.5 p10 G20. Is it worth having a JWT POP for the J30, or is the engine powerful enough?

--All I got was a plain key. For keyless entry, how do I know which remote to buy on ebay? (I dont have any remote right now). Also, should I just buy this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...wItem

--The inside trunk release doesn't work. Where should I start looking to fix this? A fuse?

--What grade of fuel am I supposed to use? (I dont have an owner's manual yet) Can you get away with regular?

--The power antenna itself looks totally chopped off. How in the world do I put a new one on? Which part do I buy, the "mount" or the antenna itself?

--(Really not important but I may as well ask this too) I used to have a brushed aluminum dash trim kit for my old G20. I wondered if anyone here has had a trim kit for their j30, if so, what do you recommend as far as company? And why do the kits seem to say J30 1992-1996, when there was no model 1992, and does that mean the 1997 year has a different dash?

Thank you for any help you can offer. I finally have my "Gloria" (or whatever it is called outside US!)
saw192837 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 12:11 PM   #2
Underground_Killah
AF Enthusiast

Re: Sold G20, Bought 1997 J30t, many questions, few answers! Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by saw192837
Dear J30 Club,

I sold my G20, moved east to start grad school, and just bought a 1997 J30t with Champagne over Tan leather. The drivetrain seems incredibly powerful with that 300zx engine. However there are some problems with the car

While buying at "Omar and Muhammad's Used Car Lot" was cheap, there are somethings wrong with it. I know a little about the g20 but not much about the J30. Can anyone help me:

--The right front headlights do not work at all (either lights or brights). The left side works fine. I just bought this thing a few hours ago, and assuming it isn't the lights themselves (it's unlikely the bright lightbulb would be out as well). Is this a lamp (light bulb) problem, a fuse problem, or is it the "relay" that I have heard can go wrong?

--Also, what kind of headlights are standard on the j30, are they just plain halogen, and if so should I spring for those xenon lights they sell on ebay?

--The cdplayer skips so badly it is unplayable, and one of the radio buttons "3" is missing and unusable. I'll try to clean it, but failing that, should I just go to best buy to get a new mp3/cd player? Or a replacement bose, if so how do I find one cheap and is it easy to install? If I replace it with a sony unit, will it include the radio as well?

--My tires look pretty well worn. Any recommendations for a hot, snowless climate that does have significant rain?

--Somewhat wishful thinking, but I used to have a Jim Wolf Technology POP charger (JWT Air intake) for my old 1993.5 p10 G20. Is it worth having a JWT POP for the J30, or is the engine powerful enough?

--All I got was a plain key. For keyless entry, how do I know which remote to buy on ebay? (I dont have any remote right now). Also, should I just buy this

--The inside trunk release doesn't work. Where should I start looking to fix this? A fuse?

--What grade of fuel am I supposed to use? (I dont have an owner's manual yet) Can you get away with regular?

--The power antenna itself looks totally chopped off. How in the world do I put a new one on? Which part do I buy, the "mount" or the antenna itself?

--(Really not important but I may as well ask this too) I used to have a brushed aluminum dash trim kit for my old G20. I wondered if anyone here has had a trim kit for their j30, if so, what do you recommend as far as company? And why do the kits seem to say J30 1992-1996, when there was no model 1992, and does that mean the 1997 year has a different dash?

Thank you for any help you can offer. I finally have my "Gloria" (or whatever it is called outside US!)
First off, congrats on your purchase, you'll have many months of hard work ahead of you, but it'll be worth every minute.

My headlights go out quite frequently myself. Check your fuses first off. if that doesn't work, buy the 9005 and 9006 lights from euro dezigns off ebay. they work wonders and have a life time warranty (7 bucks to mail it back for replacements) but they are legitamate and i have done it myself.
THe "relay" that you speak of hopefully isn't bad.

I have a sony cdx mp3 player in mine, because mine didn't come with the radio. The replacement stock deck imo isn't worth paying the 300 for. (don't buy used... EVER! most "used" cd players on ebay are stolen anyway) My sony has the same radio as any other, you shouldn't have a problem. (make sure the cd player you get will work for you, like if you are planning on getting glow gauges, make sure they are the same color as your face plate)

I have toyo tires. i don't know what kind because i'm not a tire guy, but these handle perfectly in alabama (i don't know how much snowless and rainy you could get)

I've got one sorta on my car, the air adapter intake on ebay works fine (unless your loaded and can afford the dragon one) you won't get much performance from it though (maybe 2hp)

Well, i tried the whole keyless ebay remote... don't bother. they don't work and when they do, they break. You may have to break down and go to autozone and buy one there (don't buy from infiniti unless you want to get raped on cost)

Definately check your fuses before you replace any other parts. If that's not working... it may be the trunk release switch (don't ask me where that one is)

Premium Fuel Only (says on your tach)

But i use regular and my engine hasn't blown up yet. You may want to do some premium once a month just to kinda keep it happy.

Well, i'd get the "euro antenna" on ebay... i think they look better and you won't have to really worry about it anymore, but you may have to go through the trunk and tear apart the carpet to get to the switch to make sure it's not broken as well.

Well, i prefer the stock look to mine, and those companies that can't get the year right on a vehicle are those that i'd stear far from. All models have the same dash. The only difference in the years is like heated seats and other luxary addons. all the body is the same (i hate people who put (93-95 headlight) because jesus, i've worked on 4 j30's... 93 (mine) 95 (another mine (gone now)) 96 and 94 (neighbors) they all have the same body work and frame and chassey.

hope this helps a little man.... let us know about the headlights if the fuses are fine and the replacement bulbs don't work.

R.I.P. Hypsi87, A.k.a. Andy Filson
Underground_Killah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 04:37 PM   #3
saw192837
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Sold G20, Bought 1997 J30t, many questions, few answers! Help

Thanks for responding. I've just had mechanic put 4 new tires on, changed the oil, and aligned her.
Still restoring to my standards. .

"My headlights go out quite frequently myself. Check your fuses first off. if that doesn't work, buy the 9005 and 9006 lights from euro dezigns off ebay. they work wonders and have a life time warranty (7 bucks to mail it back for replacements) but they are legitamate and i have done it myself.
THe "relay" that you speak of hopefully isn't bad."

All fuses are fine, and new bulbs didn't help. I'm thinking its the relay based on past forum posts.

"I have a sony cdx mp3 player in mine, because mine didn't come with the radio."

The audio people said the BOSE system's speaker aren't compatible with regular audio units, and I would have to get another addon that was $100 more. Also, it would be hard for them to find a dashkit for the j30. How did you do yours? Did you have it installed?

"I've got one sorta on my car, the air adapter intake on ebay works fine (unless your loaded and can afford the dragon one) you won't get much performance from it though (maybe 2hp)"

You mean this works?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GREDD...94140419QQrdZ1

Is it as good as JWT?

Definately check your fuses before you replace any other parts. If that's not working... it may be the trunk release switch (don't ask me where that one is)

Fixed it, it was a switch in the glove compartment

"Premium Fuel Only (says on your tach)"

Dont believe everthing you read. . .hee hee
saw192837 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 09:36 PM   #4
Underground_Killah
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Sold G20, Bought 1997 J30t, many questions, few answers! Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by saw192837
Thanks for responding. I've just had mechanic put 4 new tires on, changed the oil, and aligned her.
Still restoring to my standards. .

"My headlights go out quite frequently myself. Check your fuses first off. if that doesn't work, buy the 9005 and 9006 lights from euro dezigns off ebay. they work wonders and have a life time warranty (7 bucks to mail it back for replacements) but they are legitamate and i have done it myself.
THe "relay" that you speak of hopefully isn't bad."

All fuses are fine, and new bulbs didn't help. I'm thinking its the relay based on past forum posts.

"I have a sony cdx mp3 player in mine, because mine didn't come with the radio."

The audio people said the BOSE system's speaker aren't compatible with regular audio units, and I would have to get another addon that was $100 more. Also, it would be hard for them to find a dashkit for the j30. How did you do yours? Did you have it installed?

"I've got one sorta on my car, the air adapter intake on ebay works fine (unless your loaded and can afford the dragon one) you won't get much performance from it though (maybe 2hp)"

You mean this works?

Is it as good as JWT?

Fixed it, it was a switch in the glove compartment

"Premium Fuel Only (says on your tach)"

Dont believe everthing you read. . .hee hee

Haha they are so bullshitting you it isn't funny. Go somewhere else.
I can assure you a sony cdx system will work (if you really need to know my model i'll find it later and post it) installed with no problems. they told me the same thing and i laughed. The guy quickly changed his story to "sometimes they won't work.. blah blah"

You mean this works?

Is it as good as JWT?

well i have the K&N one and it works fine. same setup, i like mine better than the greddy one, but it should work. The only thing is the universal adapter has to be put on top of the screws for the intake (which took all but 20 seconds to do.

i can't say "as good as" because i've never worked with a JWT one, but im sure it's going to filter your air just as well (the dragon's are the way to go though definately if you have the money)

I am in the works of making a dual cai for the J30... it's gonna take some time cause i don't know where to put the damn battery at... but give me time... Dammit i want a CAI!

http://www.cardomain.com/profile/majinarmy is my cardomain site

R.I.P. Hypsi87, A.k.a. Andy Filson
Underground_Killah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 01:01 AM   #5
Onblsht
Authorized Vendor

Re: Sold G20, Bought 1997 J30t, many questions, few answers! Help

What does Autozone want for the 97 J30 remote? I got mine for $59 here LINK TO PAGE
Onblsht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 01:58 PM   #6
Phil0968
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Phil0968
Alright to answer a few of your questions. The is your antenna fuklly chopped, or does it appear that it is only halfway up or down??? If itis chopped your best bet would be to go call up either a nissan dealer or an infiniti dealer and ask what they think. If it is only a mattter of the antenna being partially up then ur going to need a new motor. in my 93 the motor assembly is on the left hand side of the trunk behind the molding, from there u can access the entire assembly.

Your trunk release there could actually be two problems one is easy to fix the other not so easy. the first way (hoping its same as the 93) but check to see if the switch inside ur glovebox is turned on. That switch regulates whether or not you can open your trunk from within in the car. The other solution would be to check ur fuses.

Headlights all that i can say is check your relay on drivers side next to the firewall and fender.

Ok the reason why the guy was telling you that you cant run the speakers with the after market deck was because the standard bose speakers each have an amp built directly into the speaker. In order to install an aftermarket deck you need another amp to power it. What i ended up doing was redoing the entire sound system because it was easier and cheaper for me.

Hope this helps
Phil0968 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Cedric | M45 | J30 | Gloria