Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Rabbit
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 05:40 PM   #1
sparrow2
AF Newbie

gifted with broken down 81 convertible

well, there once was a dead rabbit, that wasn`t welcome at it`s home anymore, so now I got the dead rabbit. Since it needs a new engine anyway (previous owner accidentally tried to run it on water instead of gasoline), I figured I`d try to convert it to diesel, and from there to bio diesel. as far as I understand, a regular diesel engine will operate with bio diesel. is this correct? if not, what would I need. Also (I`m not the mechanic, my boyfriend is) can I just take a same size diesel engine and pop it into the existing fittings for the current 1600 cc gasoline engine? can I keep the original tranny? any helpful info or links would be highly appreciated. thanx
Sparrow
sparrow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 12:54 AM   #2
zagrot
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to zagrot
Re: gifted with broken down 81 convertible

a diesel engine requires no modification to run on biodiesel but vegetable oil is a different story. you can probably reuse your gasoline transmission on a diesel engine, as well as the engine mounts, but you will have to revamp the fuel system. if you are going to do a conversion from gasoline to diesel try to find a turbo diesel or eco-diesel (both are turbo engines; the fuel pump is the distinguishing difference), you will not regret it except that turbo diesels are a bit more rare and expensive than the naturaly aspirated 1.6d.
zagrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 12:32 AM   #3
againdays
AF Newbie

Re: gifted with broken down 81 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow2
well, there once was a dead rabbit, that wasn`t welcome at it`s home anymore, so now I got the dead rabbit. Since it needs a new engine anyway (previous owner accidentally tried to run it on water instead of gasoline), I figured I`d try to convert it to diesel, and from there to bio diesel. as far as I understand, a regular diesel engine will operate with bio diesel. is this correct? if not, what would I need. Also (I`m not the mechanic, my boyfriend is) can I just take a same size diesel engine and pop it into the existing fittings for the current 1600 cc gasoline engine? can I keep the original tranny? any helpful info or links would be highly appreciated. thanx
Sparrow
Actually theres a difference in the diesel transaxle and the gas transaxle or transmission. You wont get the top end or power with a gas transmission that is sometimes needed and it wont be good for the engine.
againdays is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Rabbit