Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 09:59 PM   #16
castorall
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to castorall
a lot a the people who have z's like em for the rear wheel drive instead of little gay fwd hondas and acuras. the nissan 240 sx is in the same category as your prelude vtec horsesh** and that has so much more "potential" than your honda and with the same mods, it would rape it in any kind of race you can think of, street drag, rally backroads.... anything.

so i think my point is, hondas are for 45-70 year old women who are concerned with getting good gas mileage-z's are for people want to satisfy their need for speed, like a man.
castorall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 11:46 PM   #17
kb1794
AF Newbie

I just sold my 98 prelude for a 93 tt. The newer preldues have 200hp, and the type SH also has 200hp but has the atts system which weighs about 400pounds. The type S in japan has 220hp. In a race the new models run about a 14.9 1/4 mile and the last model can reach about 14.6 1/4 mile because they are a little lighter. If it's a choice between a prelude and a tt i would go with the tt no doubt.
kb1794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 08:50 PM   #18
Dramier
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Dramier Send a message via AIM to Dramier
Hmm

Ok chaps, you blew this totally out of proportion here.

90-96 Nissan 300ZX TT aka Z32. This is a sports car. Period. It is sexy, sleek, fast, and expensive both in price and maintenance, and insurance for some. This car recquires driver experience and maturity to handle, much more so than the Prelude. A 16 year old kid who just got their license does NOT need to be in one of these cars.

Honda Prelude. This is a sportier version of the popular Civic line. It is not a sports car, but that doesn't mean it won't preform like one. They are fairly nimble stock, and can be quick with modification, but they are no competition to a TT. But they were never meant to be competition. The insurance is cheaper, maintenance is cheaper, and price tag is cheaper. This is a good start for a younger person who can't afford the insurance or pricetag of it's bigger brothers. It's also a great way to get into modification and learning to control a vehicle under speed.

If you're 16 years old and just getting your DL, the last thing on earth you need is a sports car. You need to buy a 300 dollar beater. Why? Because you have no driving experience and you will make mistakes. It's better to make those mistakes in a car you aren't attached to and haven't invested alot of money in. Most teens lose their first vehicle to either accidents or tickets. I speak from experience, and I am SO glad my first car wasn't what I have now. Learn to drive, learn to control a car, powerslide it, drift it, powerbrake, shiftlock, 180, 360, all the basics. Learn it in a beater where hitting the tree in your backyard isn't the end of the world. You will be glad you did.

Sure a beater doesn't make you cool, or look cool, or even make you happy to drive. But the only people who judge whether you're cool or not based on your car aren't your friends anyway. Your friends won't give a shit what you drive. What you decide to do is up to you. But please, take what I'm saying seriously, and in a few years you'll think back and be glad you did.

Dramier
Old 08-04-2002, 02:40 PM   #19
Grendel
AF Enthusiast

Re: Hmm

Quote:
Originally posted by Dramier
If you're 16 years old and just getting your DL, the last thing on earth you need is a sports car. You need to buy a 300 dollar beater. Why? Because you have no driving experience and you will make mistakes. It's better to make those mistakes in a car you aren't attached to and haven't invested alot of money in. Most teens lose their first vehicle to either accidents or tickets. I speak from experience, and I am SO glad my first car wasn't what I have now. Learn to drive, learn to control a car, powerslide it, drift it, powerbrake, shiftlock, 180, 360, all the basics. Learn it in a beater where hitting the tree in your backyard isn't the end of the world. You will be glad you did
That is completely true... I wrecked my first 280zxt the first day I got to drive it by myself... I had driven it once before with my dad... I was dumb :P

I wish I would have started out with a beater...

-Grendel
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 06:59 PM   #20
castorall
AF Newbie

280zxt wrecked

ouch. the first day.
Old 08-05-2002, 12:55 AM   #21
Ben160
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Ben160
Depends on what your priorities are.

I don't think that a 300ZX vs. a 4th Gen. Prelude is a stupid question like some have said. I think it just depends on your priorities.

A 300ZX definitely has better performance, but it will also cost more to drive (lower gas mileage, higher maintance (bigger, more expensive tires,...) and repair costs). You will likely get more miles out of a prelude.

You may also be able to find a Prelude Si-4WS that has 4-wheel steering just like the 300ZX TT. 4WS is especially great for parking and also helps cornering stabilty and steering precision.

So, the real question is if the added money you will spend on the 300ZX is worth it to you. Will you use the available performance? Buy the 300ZX if performance and showing off is your highest priority. Buy the Prelude if you want an economical sporty car and you think your money could be better spent on something that will not depreciate so much.
Ben160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 11:11 AM   #22
Grendel
AF Enthusiast

Re: 280zxt wrecked

Quote:
Originally posted by castorall
ouch. the first day.
Yup... wasn't that bad... it had lots of problems anyways... one of them was the good old leaking Z injectors...

Everytime I would stop, I would hear a bubbling sound coming from under the hood... I would pop it open and see these little puddles of gas (not little drips... actual little puddles ) all over the intake manifold...

Kinda bad considering the intake manifolds on Z cars is directly above the exhaust manifold... I'm sure if I wouldn't have crashed it, the car would have burned to the ground

-Grendel
Old 08-05-2002, 01:23 PM   #23
castorall
AF Newbie

Re: Depends on what your priorities are.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben160
I don't think that a 300ZX vs. a 4th Gen. Prelude is a stupid question like some have said. I think it just depends on your priorities.

A 300ZX definitely has better performance, but it will also cost more to drive (lower gas mileage, higher maintance (bigger, more expensive tires,...) and repair costs). You will likely get more miles out of a prelude.

You may also be able to find a Prelude Si-4WS that has 4-wheel steering just like the 300ZX TT. 4WS is especially great for parking and also helps cornering stabilty and steering precision.

So, the real question is if the added money you will spend on the 300ZX is worth it to you. Will you use the available performance? Buy the 300ZX if performance and showing off is your highest priority. Buy the Prelude if you want an economical sporty car and you think your money could be better spent on something that will not depreciate so much.
Old 08-05-2002, 01:29 PM   #24
castorall
AF Newbie

?

ooops, my post didnt show up....
i was going to say that i have never heard of 300 zxtts having all wheel steering. which ones do you say had it and how many were there.
Old 08-05-2002, 01:44 PM   #25
Grendel
AF Enthusiast

Re: ?

Quote:
Originally posted by castorall
ooops, my post didnt show up....
i was going to say that i have never heard of 300 zxtts having all wheel steering. which ones do you say had it and how many were there.
I don't know how many had it, but I heard the Z's all wheel steering was kinda crappy, coming on when drivers didn't want it to, causing them to crash and stuff... *shrugs*

-Grendel
Old 08-05-2002, 02:44 PM   #26
Ben160
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Ben160
I heard the '90 300ZX TT had a type of 4-wheel steering they called something like Super HIACS. It was in a road and track magazine where they had a comparison between a Corvette and the 300ZX.
Ben160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 05:01 PM   #27
yospeed
AF Newbie

All of the 90+ 300zx TT's have four wheel steering known as HICAS and it does take a little getting used to. It feels like the car is sliding but really isn't.

Both the prelude and the 300zx are nice cars but the 300zx is a lot more expensive to maintain both in parts and labor cost. Turbo cars always require more care and attention.
yospeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 08:08 PM   #28
caffeind182
AF Newbie

aaron ur retarted...the 300zx is one of the highest class sports cars ever made for under 80grand. Saying you want vtec over that..the ONLY vtec car ANYONE would take over a 300zx (if they want preformance and dont want to be gay) is a NSX...end of story bro

luke
caffeind182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 09:51 PM   #29
castorall
AF Newbie

hell yea

vtec shmete. honda oddessys have vtec. to me, nothing comes close to the 300zx.
Old 08-26-2002, 11:47 PM   #30
kb1794
AF Newbie

U guys wouldn't take an S2000?
kb1794 is offline   Reply With Quote