Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 01:57 PM   #1
kcducttaper
AF Newbie

looking for .009 undersized bearings - or modify my .010

Long story short, I bought a reman'd crank that came with "matching" .010 undersized bearings, so I didn't bother to plastigage them when I put it in. Mental note - ALWAYS personally double check EVERY machine work you have done on ANYTHING. After thinking through the list of symptoms, I decided to pop off a rod cap and check the clearance. The plastigage was squished to literally twice the thickness of the .001 strip, so I'm guessing actual clearance is somewhere around .0005. The specs call for at least .0015, so I'm at least .001 too tight on the rod I checked. If I'm lucky, I just got a set of bearings that were out of tolerance somehow. I'll be measuring the crank with micrometers and comparing that to the original specs tonight to see where I'm at. If the crank turns out to be only .009 smaller than original instead of .010, is there a relatively easy DIY way to get my clearance within the specified range? Something like a .009 undersized bearing instead of the .010 that came with it should work nicely I would think, but I can't find anything of that nature.
kcducttaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:37 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: looking for .009 undersized bearings - or modify my .010

Make sure you have fresh plastigage it can have a shelf life if any of the wax has melted to the paper. No such thing as .009 bearings of course unless order them custom made. Hard to believe that much of an error resizing the crank.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:42 PM   #3
Crvett69
AF Moderator

back of the plastigauge will have the thicknesses shown. like he said try some new stuff. make sure you wipe all the oil off before you check it again. if clearance is still to tight you will need to send the crank back in to get re-turned. i have seen people use 000 steel wool to make them slightly larger for more clearance but i would not recomend doing that
Crvett69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:32 PM   #4
kcducttaper
AF Newbie

Well, I just measured the crank and it's just a touch under 1.957 according to my micrometers. Eyeballing it (I don't have marks for tenths), it's at 1.9568. The factory size is supposed to be 1.9675 max, so it appears at first glance that the crank is pretty much dead on target. Is there a good way to measure the thickness of the bearing to see if it's just a hair thick? Something is .001 - .003 too big and I'm trying to figure out what instead of just chucking parts at it. Something like an OEM bearing thickness would be ideal, but I can't find any such documentation on the webz.

One thought I had was to put a spacer between the cap and rod, but that would only fix one axis and would make the hole oblong, which is probably no good.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:45 PM   #5
Crvett69
AF Moderator

why was crank replaced? if it had a rod knock or other lower end damage its possible the rod end are out of round but before you go tearing more stuff apart got get some more plastigauge
Crvett69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:29 PM   #6
kcducttaper
AF Newbie

Turns out the bearings were a tad long, so it buckled the bearings a tiny bit when torqued down.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical