Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
Andy5750
AF Newbie

2003 T & C AWD clunk from rear when turning

Hello,

My first post here. I did a search on my 2003 Town & Country's symptoms, but wasn't able to find anybody who reported a similar problem. When we turn the wheel of the van sharply in either direction, it produces a distinct clunk from the rear. This isn't the AWD engagement symptom I've read about - it seems to be strictly connected to a sudden change of direction, and the noise is definitely coming from the rear. I can also get the noise to happen when going over a large bump, such as a speed bump, but a moderately sharp (so nothing you wouldn't do in normal driving) flick of the wheel produces the noise very easily and consistently. I doubt it's the axles, because the way we drive this van, the AWD is actually seldom engaged, so the axles have seen very little wear. Could it be the rubber bushings that support the leaf springs? It's such a simple rear suspension design that there isn't a whole lot to go wrong/replace, but I don't want to start throwing parts at it without at least a stab at a diagnosis.

The van has 123,000 miles, and has been doing this for a long time, and it doesn't seem to be getting any worse, but I'd like to get to the bottom of it. Otherwise, the van has been amazingly trouble-free. Thanks.
Andy5750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
exalteduser
Goober

Re: 2003 T & C AWD clunk from rear when turning

Does it have a rear sway bar? Never checked back there on mine. worth a shot
1994 S-10 Blazer 4.3L "W" "Dead and gone"
exalteduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
Andy5750
AF Newbie

Nope, no rear sway bar. The rear suspension is very simple - just a pair of axles, struts, leaf springs, and (what used to be referred to as) a DeDion tube connecting the two hubs. So I'm thinking it's either the mounting bushings for the leaf springs (it has three per leaf), or one of the CV joints.

The spare tire had come loose, so I thought that was the problem, as it sounds exactly as though something is swinging back there and knocking into the floorboard when the car is turned sharply enough, but tightening the spare's mounting cable didn't help a whole lot. Maybe a little, so I may have had multiple sources of the sound, but it's definitely still there. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:58 PM   #4
Andy5750
AF Newbie

I stand corrected - I tested it again today, and found that the clunk from the rear only happens when turning the wheel semi-sharply to the LEFT - it doesn't do it when turning to the right. I thought it did, but that was because of the leftward correction I always had to apply immediately after the initial turn to the right. When turning sharply to the left, the clunk happens immediately. Does this provide a clue of any kind? Thanks.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
jamesslcx
AF Enthusiast

Andy, I assume you've raised it up and pulled and pried and checked for looseness?
jamesslcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #6
Andy5750
AF Newbie

Yes, but maybe not hard enough. Another thing I guess I should do is ride in back while somebody else drives to see if I can't pinpoint the origin of the clunk. Interesting that it's actually happening only one one side...
Old 05-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
jamesslcx
AF Enthusiast

That's a good idea.
jamesslcx is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager