Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Integra
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-09-2001, 01:51 PM   #16
ANACC2NV
AF Newbie

um i think its just the fact that whoever blew the engine dident know what they were doing...
Old 11-22-2001, 08:36 PM   #17
WhiteRabbit
AF Newbie

If I were Honda, I would not cover this type of abuse under warranty, if the user did indeed blow the engine because of mis-shifts. The people destroying the engine obviously aren't used to the 6-speed. When I took the S out for a spin, I miss shifted a couple of times, but caught myself before letting the clutch out. Under the stress of racing, I'm sure people would erre and blow the engine because they didn't become familiar with the tranny. Tsk, Tsk!
WhiteRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 12:23 PM   #18
2002 RSX Blown Eng
AF Newbie

Angry 2002 RSX 5 Speed Blown Engine

This is definately true. I just had an engine blow on me. I was not due to a mis
shift either. Stay away from these cars. This is the first production year for a new engine and Acura will never admit that there is a problem.
Old 05-16-2002, 12:26 PM   #19
2002 RSX Blown Eng
AF Newbie

Thumbs down 2002 Blown Engines

I would like to hear from other owners who have had blown engines on the 2002 RSX.
Old 05-19-2002, 12:54 PM   #20
RTYPE!
AF Newbie

I know that there have been 3 RSX's w/ blown motors at the dealer where I have my R serviced.I saw one car up on a lift,the hole in the block was about 6" in diameter!I was told Acura originally told the customers that they would have to pay,but then months later covered under warranty.All cars were owned my kids,techs suspected missed shifts as culprit.
RTYPE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 02:27 PM   #21
2002 RSX Goes Bang
AF Newbie

Thumbs down 3 Blown RSX Engines in Jacksonville Fla

I know of three 2002 Type R blown engines in Jacksonville, Florida.
The dealer is blaming these on downshifts and an over-rev situation.
At first the dealer says they won't cover the damage, but now they are;
out of the goodness of their hearts going to "goodwill" the engines. Goodwill
is another term for "secret internal extended warranty". Acura(Honda Motor
Corporation) knows there is a problem with these engines and is trying to cover it
up... anyone out there that has knowledge of blown engines in their part of the country, please reply to this thread with the name and location of the dealer. If you own an RSX that has gone bang, please include your e-mail address--
2002 RSX Goes Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 01:01 PM   #22
MaDDiE_123
AF Newbie

My car also has the same grinding noise when I shift from 1st to 2nd... At first, I thought it was just meeh, but I guess it's a problem with a majority of rsx's.

My friend had an rsx-type s and down-shifted from 5th to 2nd, on purpose, don't ask meeh why, and his engine blew up also...

This problem is similar to that of the new M3's...Will Acura cover this or is that one year coverage thing true??

Another problem w/ my S, it makes this weird whirring kinda noise in 1st and 2nd gear when it's at around 3000rpm. Does neone else have this problem???
MaDDiE_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 04:38 PM   #23
BeEfCaKe
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by MaDDiE_123

My friend had an rsx-type s and down-shifted from 5th to 2nd, on purpose, don't ask meeh why, and his engine blew up also...
I say he deserves to be shot.. i mean.. is he just plain stoopid or what?? geez... like i always say... learn how to drive before buying a nice car...
BeEfCaKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 11:47 PM   #24
rsx_ryder
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to rsx_ryder
Damn, I'm basically completely new to manual trannies and I never had any problem with the 2000 Celica (where the gates were narrow) or the RSX. The 2000 Celica was SUPERNARROW!! But for frick sakes, if the people want to race, just take the revs up, then put the stick in neutral to "go back to home base" so you know where you have to go. The problem with blown engines isn't the shifter, it's newbies who have too much pride and too little brain to just recognize they're newbies. I'm a complete newby and I've already smoked several cars, including a motorbike - so you obviously don't have to be Andretti to have fun.
Old 06-14-2002, 07:38 PM   #25
Bryan8412
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Bryan8412
Quote:
Originally posted by GOD
All i have to say is Bullshit I've misshifted on an si one time and it hit right at redline and everything was fine I believe acura is just getting a little sloppy with there engines and trannys . Also i've driven a Celica Gt-s and if the gears are close like that i can understand someone downshifting from 5 to 2 b/c the gears are really close .
you're right because the redline for your SI and the RSX are the same. Plus the tranny is the same. Plus it was the same conditions at the same speed and everything. If you downshift into 2nd at 100mph and at 40 mph theres a big difference einstein.

The only excuse for this is user-fault. if shifting feels unfcomfortable, DON'T PUSH THE CAR TO IT'S LIMIT. It's common sense, learn the limits of your car before you attempt to grace them, and end up overstepping them. I've been driving my dad's miata whenever he lets me and it's a 6-speed. I'm lucky as it's been hailed a perfect 10 as a shifter but i definently know when not to be stupid. I take extra care when downshifting. Like someone in the other forum said with the latest tranny it has springs that return the stick to neutral when it slips out of gear, so best strategy is to let it slide out, then pull straight down. I shift quickly up but no way in hell would i pull a stunt on a downshift unless it was my daily driver and i practiced alot safely and moved up.

To people with problems, good luck getting it covered or whatever you're going to do, and be careful next time, the tranmission handles all the power and can be fatal to the engine

mmmmmm.... :jump:
Bryan8412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 10:51 PM   #26
BeEfCaKe
AF Enthusiast

I still have not seen/heard of RSXs blowing up. I know many who own RSXs, both Auto or Manual. You might already know this, but even with auto, you can go to "manual-D" gear and shift just like a manual, except without the clutch. I have seen ppl redline with this setup and have fuel cut-off plenty of times, with no probos. Same goes with REAL manual. I think the people that started this thread are just some Marketers from other car companies who are trying to sell their cars.
BeEfCaKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 12:27 PM   #27
crashn_98
AF Newbie

RSX going BANG

I've had my RSX for about a year now, I drive it hard everyday.. It's actually been the only car I've had that's lasted THIS long. Anyways I think that's a bunch of BS about the engines blowing. Even with downshifting and missing a gear... About 3 months after buying mine I was still getting used to the shifting (cuz of driving a 5 speed for so long)I was doing about 85 mph and downshifted into 2nd instead of 4th...it revved like a mutha, but that was about it. And I couldn't agree with rsx_ryder more, learn your car before really getting into it!
I've also noticed the notchiness/grinding....:smoka:
crashn_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 02:13 PM   #28
Marasmus
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Marasmus
The notchiness/grinding has always been present in the integra line... It has to do with the synchromeshes wearing, and the percentage of wear leads to a higher percentage of RPM-discrepancy between the dogs' teeth and the gears. It's not noticed in 3rd thru 6th because the percentage of discrepancy is significantly lower. It's not seen in 1st gear, because the honda trannies have a super-paranoid synchro mechanism on 1st gear that doesn't let you shift into it unless the engine and driveshaft are dead-even on speed (or you're stopped). If you want to test it, roll up your windows, turn off the air and stereo, and get up to 15mph in 2nd gear. then patiently downshift to 1st, holding the stick against the gate into 1st. You'll actually hear the layshaft in the tranny spin up before it'll let you in. Noted, it's not a good idea to enter 1st gear at anything above 5mph on our cars, so don't yell at me if you break your tranny!

On my teg, I've downshifted from 5th to 2nd numerous times (of course, never when I'm above-redline for 2nd gear), always by double-clutching and rev-matching the engine. When doing this, I have no problem with engagement or grinding and everything goes great.

Note: I have screwed up a downshift to 4th when doing about 80... I caught the dead-space between 4th and reverse while doing a hard shift... It totally ruined the synchros for 4th, 5th, reverse. That was replaced on warranty because the problem had been seen many times by the dealer. Apparently it's a quirk in the lever-arm actuation that causes the control arm for both the 3rd/4th and the 5th/reverse in B-series trannies to engage at the same time, fighting each other for synchronization.

For those poor dummies who blew their RSX's engines and trannies by missing downshift from 5th to 4th at above 85mph (65 is about redline limit, but 85 is roughly the blow-up limit), they just need to understand their car's gearing and the fundamentals of manual transmissions better. Any reasonably-understandable shifting mistake (like downshifting from 5th to 2nd at 75mph) will be properly handled by the rev-limiter and a mild dose of press-the-clutch-cause-something's-wrong intuition. If you do something that could only blow up your car at 15mph over the highest speed limit in the nation, they have a strong common-sense case to deny coverage based on abuse.

If you want to know manual transmissions, synchros, and other engine basics a little better, check out the tutorials on http://www.howstuffworks.com/ ... They're quite simple and easy to understand.
Marasmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 03:20 PM   #29
Bryan8412
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Bryan8412
Quote:
Originally posted by Marasmus
For those poor dummies who blew their RSX's engines and trannies by missing downshift from 5th to 4th at above 85mph (65 is about redline limit, but 85 is roughly the blow-up limit), they just need to understand their car's gearing and the fundamentals of manual transmissions better. Any reasonably-understandable shifting mistake (like downshifting from 5th to 2nd at 75mph) will be properly handled by the rev-limiter and a mild dose of press-the-clutch-cause-something's-wrong intuition. If you do something that could only blow up your car at 15mph over the highest speed limit in the nation, they have a strong common-sense case to deny coverage based on abuse.

If you want to know manual transmissions, synchros, and other engine basics a little better, check out the tutorials on http://www.howstuffworks.com/ ... They're quite simple and easy to understand.
actually they downshifted in attempt to hit 4th and hit 2nd. and i take it you were in overdrive when you went from 5th-2nd?

mmmmmm.... :jump:
Bryan8412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 11:24 AM   #30
Marasmus
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Marasmus
Quote:
Originally posted by Bryan8412

actually they downshifted in attempt to hit 4th and hit 2nd. and i take it you were in overdrive when you went from 5th-2nd?
Correct - they missed 4th and hit 2nd. There is no such thing as overdrive - it's entirely a myth. 4-speeds with "overdrive" are just 5-speeds. Silly marketing term that serves no purpose. I was in 5th gear - the top gear for my tranny.
Marasmus is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Integra