Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 01:07 PM   #1
BBjones
AF Newbie

96 Grand Prix 3.1L over heating - cooling fans not working when ac is off

1996 Grand Prix se 3.1 L. The car is over heating when the A/C is turned off and the cooling fans do not seem to come on. When the A/C is on the primary cooling fan kicks on and the secondary cooling fan comes on at a temp of approx 210 as read from the dash board. I have changed cooling fan relays 1 and 2, Thermostat and Coolant Temp Sending Unit (as far as I can tell the 3.1 only has one temp sensor located where the upper radiator hose connects to the engine and does not have anothor one on the radiator?). Any ideas about what might be causing the cooling fans not to function when the A/C is off. Any advice is appreciated.
BBjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 01:44 PM   #2
Ripn12s
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Ripn12s
Re: 96 Grand Prix 3.1L over heating - cooling fans not working when ac is off

Im pretty sure that the correct temp for the fans to come on at. What temps are u seeing when "overheating".
Old 06-27-2004, 02:02 PM   #3
BBjones
AF Newbie

with the a/c off it has reached temps of 230. I have watched it and have not seen the fans kick on when the a/c is off
Old 06-27-2004, 04:12 PM   #4
kilroypr
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to kilroypr Send a message via Yahoo to kilroypr

Something like that happend to me and I have a 94 GP SE. The heat gun would say it was 235 and no fan would start. I replaced the low level coolant sensor along with the temp sending unit and that heal the problem. With the temp sending unint alone did not worked.
kilroypr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 06:50 PM   #5
tealse
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBjones
1996 Grand Prix se 3.1 L. The car is over heating when the A/C is turned off and the cooling fans do not seem to come on. When the A/C is on the primary cooling fan kicks on and the secondary cooling fan comes on at a temp of approx 210 as read from the dash board. I have changed cooling fan relays 1 and 2, Thermostat and Coolant Temp Sending Unit (as far as I can tell the 3.1 only has one temp sensor located where the upper radiator hose connects to the engine and does not have anothor one on the radiator?). Any ideas about what might be causing the cooling fans not to function when the A/C is off. Any advice is appreciated.
I am having the same problem with my 95..I will try the low coolant sensor . But where are the relays?? I can't find them..I will let you know how the low coolant sensor works..
tealse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 10:51 PM   #6
BBjones
AF Newbie

the relays on the 1996 are in the engine compartment under the hood on right in fornt of the passenger side shock tower in a black fuse box. they are marked fan 1 and fan 2
Old 06-29-2004, 03:29 PM   #7
tealse
AF Regular

Re: Re: 96 Grand Prix 3.1L over heating - cooling fans not working when ac is off

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBjones
the relays on the 1996 are in the engine compartment under the hood on right in fornt of the passenger side shock tower in a black fuse box. they are marked fan 1 and fan 2

Cool thanks I found them..These things are 25$ a pop ..I changed them and still no luck.I am gonna try the water pump next......
tealse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 03:20 AM   #8
threedd97
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to threedd97 Send a message via AIM to threedd97
I'm having a similar problem with my '98 GP GT. If my AC is on my temps stay normal, if not, 10 minutes of driving knocks it around 200-230. I just changed my oil, oil filter and air filter last week. My coolant is fine and it's passing through the tubes. Please help. My water pump is brand new, not even a year old and the temp sensor or temp valve (not sure which, not too educated on the engine department) is vaccuumed (had it done at the mechanics because after the water pump installation I had serious temp. problems). All that department is fine. Could it be something with my temp sensor going bad? I have a minor oil leak at the valve head covers/gasket. Not sure if that could be the source.
'98 Grand Prix GT 4Dr
'06 XXX 12"
Possibly a Cadence ZRS-10
Pioneer DEH-5500MP
threedd97 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix