Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 06:17 PM   #16
Blazing Rice
AF Regular

But 'just cool' does not equal capability.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:27 AM   #17
echoboy
AF Newbie

Had a fender bender today. 24 hurt, 10 killed. Do I have to get the black touch-up paint from the dealer? He's 25 miles away. That's $35 in gas.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:17 PM   #18
Crapshoot
AF Newbie

Re: Re: The Hummer H1: The King of the Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicRat
Well said. The appeal of the H1 and H2 for most buyers is as a status symbol.
One can buy all the engineering of an H2 in a GM pick up truck or Yukon, with the right options, for a lot less $$$. But as it looks less butch and radical, and its cheaper, reduces its appeal for the typical H2 buyer.
As for the H1, why this is the dream ride for some people, I will never know. Its slow, foul handling, slow, expensive, slow, unmanoeverable and, what else, oh yes, slow.
For serious off roading, being small and light weight is a tremendous advantage. There are many many off road trails not accessable to H1's because they are so wide. Besides, seriously, how many people who have spent the $$$ on an H1 or H2 ever take them off roading in any serious manner?
(And, yes, I know the same can be said of the buyers of almost all SUVs)
This is just plain ignorance talking. Yes, the H1 is slow (a diesel with a low range final drive of 33:1 what a surprise) and if you buy it new quite pricey. But to call it foul handling and unmanueverable just tells me this person has never driven one, on-road or off-road. I use my '99 H1 wagon as a daily driver to work, it has never left me stranded.Too wide for most trails? Bah, it just means you take a slightly different line of attack. A few times a year I travel to various events that include trails rated 4++ which my H1 handles quite well and then gets me home safely. The diesel gives me 14+ mpg on the highway at 65-70mph and is pretty comfortable too.

Like anyone else who enjoys offroading, scratches are decals and dents are memories of a good time.

Dave
Old 10-23-2004, 10:53 PM   #19
Z3PR
AF Newbie

The original Hummer is a worthy vehicle, the H2 is a joke. The H2 is a overpriced statis symbol for yuppys with more money then brains. The H2 is nothing more then a Suburban with a different body. By the way, No Hummer, H1 or H2 can go down most of the trails around here, they are just too wide.
Old 10-23-2004, 11:52 PM   #20
Crapshoot
AF Newbie

Re: The Hummer H1: The King of the Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3PR
The original Hummer is a worthy vehicle, the H2 is a joke. The H2 is a overpriced statis symbol for yuppys with more money then brains. The H2 is nothing more then a Suburban with a different body. By the way, No Hummer, H1 or H2 can go down most of the trails around here, they are just too wide.
Around here being, where? I think you're overestimating your trail difficulty, besides, if an H1 can't go through it, It'll go over it.

I would have to differ about the H2, I thought they were posers too before my last outing where there were 3 H2's among 13 H1's and even though they had a more difficult time with some obstacles, they made it through two 4++ trails called Grim Reaper and Chokecherry outside Farmington, NM. If you want some documentation, I have some excellent pics of H1's and H2's on Snake and Jeep Eater.

Try this link for some pics of the event...50 pages worth:

www.storedevelopers.com/2004_durango/index.htm

Dave
Old 10-24-2004, 09:42 AM   #21
Z3PR
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
Around here being, where? I think you're overestimating your trail difficulty, besides, if an H1 can't go through it, It'll go over it.

I would have to differ about the H2, I thought they were posers too before my last outing where there were 3 H2's among 13 H1's and even though they had a more difficult time with some obstacles, they made it through two 4++ trails called Grim Reaper and Chokecherry outside Farmington, NM. If you want some documentation, I have some excellent pics of H1's and H2's on Snake and Jeep Eater.

Dave
I live in the Black Hills of South Dakota. I'm sorry, but both the H1 and H2 are too wide for the majorty of the trails here. They just won't fit with all the trees and rocks. There are alot of trails that are too narrow for even my K5 Blazer, Most of the ones I can go down I am scrapping trees and rocks down the body, just no way around it. A couple of months ago I went wheeling, and the H1 boys were backing down the trail because they couldn't fit through where my K5 would. Seen the underside of too many H2's (Mechanic) too be deluded into thinking they would be worth a sh_t off road.
Old 10-24-2004, 01:13 PM   #22
goinbig
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to goinbig

First of all, I just want to say that I am just throwing this out there for whatever it is worth. I would personally never buy an H2 and probably never an H1 either, unless I found an old one really cheap.

Lots of you guys keep saying that the H2 is simply a different body on a Suburban or Tahoe. Well, I have seen more than a few modified Suburbans and Tahoes (even stock ones) that are extremely capable off-road.

It is a proven fact that the capability of the vehicle is directly dependant on the person behind the wheel.

With that said, I can go pretty much anywhere in my '74 3/4 ton, longbed Chevy, which is up on 44's. Show me these trails that are too narrow, I guarantee I could go as far (most likely farther) on them as you could, and I'm just as wide, if not wider, than an H1 (and epecially wider than any H2).
Old 12-29-2004, 09:13 PM   #23
danny350
AF Regular

A drunk monkey could drive a truck with 44's, pretty much anywhere.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:43 PM   #24
goinbig
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to goinbig

ummm, ok. Have you seem any rock-crawling events before? That monkey sure as hell would have my respect.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:47 PM   #25
GMCMudBogger
AF Enthusiast

H2's are quite capable in stock form by design and I have seen them at the local mud hole, perform in a respectable manner. H2's on the other hand should stay on the road, I see every now and then someone who is getting stuck or damages the front suspension trying to go where highly modified trucks go where an h1 would go. Then they complain about how the salesman told him it can go anywhere, "like the commercial". I feel sorry to see them sitting stuck in the mud, but it's also funny that a "beater" Jeep or what was once a Toyota p/u (properly equipped) pull them out and send with their tail between their legs wondering what went wrong. It's no wonder you see them with the big bling bling wheels on them now a days the belong in suburbia, made to be driven by soccer moms. Just my $.02!
Old 01-12-2005, 07:40 PM   #26
G35XAndTrailBlazer
Banned

Send a message via AIM to G35XAndTrailBlazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot

Dave
Hate to inform you, but our Trailblazer could probably do all of that.

Not that i have anything against Hummers, i think they are awesome machines.

Thats just a really bad example.
Old 02-19-2005, 01:34 PM   #27
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny350
A drunk monkey could drive a truck with 44's, pretty much anywhere.
Have you ever driven off-road in a small truck, then in a big one? The bigger it is, the more difficult driving it is. You have to manuver it MUCH more accurately than smaller trucks. Since you can't see as much of the ground near you, you have to remember EXACTLY where each rock, tree stump, or hole is so you don't drive in it when you get close. Bigger trucks with taller tires are CAPABLE of going more places due to clearance, but the driver has to be good enough to get it around all the things that will get it stuck. My truck (pretty much stock) will make it almost anywhere trucks with bigger tires can go, with the exception of ruts made by bigger tires, and up vertical drops over 12-16"

However, if such a monkey does infact exist, I would very much like to see his/her driving abilities while intoxicated.
Poly engine/trans/control arm bushings
Self built and self programmed progressive methanol injection system
Old 07-08-2005, 04:54 AM   #28
CanaMark
AF Enthusiast

I would rather put money that would go into a H1 or H2 into my own rig that was built by my own hands, and not bought off a lot. I think I would have more respect, and not do foolish things. I hate the H2's and the new H3's. The older H1 have a better look that I like. But unless I win the lotto, its out of my reach.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:19 PM   #29
casychapin
AF Newbie

I've got a question for someone with answers. My dad is looking for a tow vehicle that will get him and his 3/4 ton trailer anyware without to much trouble. Will the H1 do that?
Old 11-17-2005, 10:29 PM   #30
Andydg
AF Enthusiast

The Alpha probably will but I think the previous H1's had pretty weak diesel engines.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical