Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > MG > MGB
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 12:31 AM   #1
ViolentBlue
AF Newbie

Rotary in an MGB, or other possibilities

I'm sure this has been done, but would you consider it a bastardization of an MGB?

I'm seriously considering buying an MGBGT as a project/race car and of course the stock 4 banger has to go, I'm looking into other possibilities for motivational power.

I'm a VW guy and in VW circles its considered sacrilige to put anything other than a VW engine in your VW. Now I know the lines between makes of the british cars are a little fuzzy, and when it comes to swaps the lines are often trampled on, but would a rotary, or a BMW I4 or 6 be out of line?

what other engines out there are good for this swap (Don't really want to do a V8, I want something quick and nimble with enough power to make those fart can hondas feel silly)
Old 07-17-2003, 11:14 PM   #2
ViolentBlue
AF Newbie

does no one even come in here anymore?
Old 07-31-2003, 01:26 PM   #3
ViolentBlue
AF Newbie

I'm thinking a DOHC Supra Inline 6 might be a nice engine to go in this car. What do you think?
Old 08-14-2003, 01:49 AM   #4
denny411
AF Newbie

Have you considered the Bonneville SSE supercharged 3.8? Supposedly they will mate perfectly with the 700r4 from a late 80`s firebird or camaro with the 2.8v6.

It wouldn`t wiegh much more than the original drivtrain because the heads,intake, and transmission are all aluminum.

I`ve been considering a similiar swap but I haven`t made any definate plans.
I`ve also considered using the drivetrain from a thunderbird turbo coupe. I could even have the posi 8.8 rear narrowed to fit. (they come with rear disc brakes)
Old 08-14-2003, 01:56 AM   #5
denny411
AF Newbie

BTW, I suspect that your previous posts were not answered due to the nature of your question.
I`m sure the majority of the members here are somewhat offended by your intentions to "bastardize" or "hybrid" your beloved MGB.

I personally hold no loyalty to any manufacturer. I choose to own vehicles for certain aspects that I like. What I don`t like,I change.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:29 PM   #6
ViolentBlue
AF Newbie

I'm more a fan of european engeneering, but I have a friend who loves toyota's, since I wanted a I6 with DOHC he suggested the supra engine. I personally would consider BMW (who owns the remnants of MG if I'm not mistaken)

but this is all a side issue now, since I passed on the oppertunity to pick up the MGBGT that I was inwuiring about.
Old 08-14-2003, 02:33 PM   #7
denny411
AF Newbie

In my opinion, the engine compartment in the mgb is too short for an inline 6. It might be posible if you delete tha heater core and fan blower housing, but I still think you would have to give up some leg room. Otherwise the engine would be too far foreward and it would kill the handling of the car.
Old 08-15-2003, 10:44 PM   #8
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
There were a limited number of MGBGTs made with the 3.0 Austin 6 in them, and if that will fit then anything will.
Unforunatly its so heavy the car handled like even more of pig than it did orginaly.

The Rover v8 is by far and away the best swap, all the parts required can be easily sourced, and there are so many people out there who have done it that advice and how to's are easy to find.

The engine as well being capable of making more than enough power is also lighter than the old A series, so it makes a marked improvement to the cars handling as well.

But if you want something a little more modern, then a Toyota 3sgte, or Nissan SR20DET are both great engines, but you need the Turbo'd versions to get enough useable hp to make the car move. This means added complexity, something you want to try and avoid on something as old as B, unless of course you prefer working on the car to driving it.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:42 AM   #9
Hudson
Old Mod

Re: Rotary in an MGB, or other possibilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny411
In my opinion, the engine compartment in the mgb is too short for an inline 6. It might be posible if you delete tha heater core and fan blower housing, but I still think you would have to give up some leg room. Otherwise the engine would be too far foreward and it would kill the handling of the car.
Actually, the MGC is the MGB with an inline six. The engine was heavier than the four-cylinder or V8 engines offered in the B and did affect handling. The engine was a 2.9L (2912cc) version of the six-cylinder found in other cars (the Austin-Healey 3000, for example).

I'm sure that one of the modern DOHC inline sixes would be too tall to fit under the hood of the B or C (the MGC had a small bump on the hood because of the longer engine.

I agree that the Rover V8 is the way to go. It's offered in many states of tune from the factory including carbureted (both from GM and Rover) and fuel-injected versions. Land Rover still uses the engine in the US in the Discovery.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 09:37 AM   #10
Corgitoysaver
AF Newbie

Rover K-series engine. 130 BHP, lot's of torque in a much lighter B then the car you'll get it from, and, less fuel consumption than the old 1800.

Raymond.
Corgitoysaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 11:51 PM   #11
63mgracer
AF Newbie

12a rotary motor works perfect.....mine is race ported with about 230 ponies....mazda 5 speed tranny....posi trac(welded spider gears)...13X8 wheels on front, 13X10 on back(3 piece racing wheels)....griffin race radiator, 13b oil cooler, dual downdraft weber carbs, racing beat intake, racing beat header, full roll cage bumper to bumper, f1 steering wheel......installing panhard bar this week and upgrade ignition soon
63mgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 04:07 PM   #12
turbobob
AF Newbie

Rotary in MGB?

Hey 63mgracer, can I get some details on the Rotary conversion? I have a 70 MGB that needs a new drivtrain and I am leaning towards the mazda just because I allready have a Pro7 RX7 and some extra motors.
Thanks
Turbobob
turbobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 10:00 PM   #13
63mgracer
AF Newbie

a 12a motor w/a mazda 5 speed will fit right in. Use the rx7 motor mounts...just put them on the motor first and then drop it in to mark where you need to drill.....if you can find a 81-85 mazda pick up tranny and use the rear half to mount to a rx7 bell housing...you wont have to cut your transmission tunnel...otherwise some motifying will have to be done...and a custom drive shaft will have to be made....you wont be able to use the stock fan as it would stick up out of the hood...a griffin radiator for a vw sirrocco fits nicely...i will take some pics soon and put them on so you can see the car and the motor...
63mgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 03:46 PM   #14
turbobob
AF Newbie

63 MGracer:
I will starting my MGB to Rotary conversion in October. Do you know if a 13B with fuel injection will fit? Have you had a chance to get any of the pictures that you mentioned? I would love to hear more about your conversion.
Thanks
Turbobob
turbobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 02:42 AM   #15
whatcha/got/racer
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to whatcha/got/racer

turbobob ay i have an mgb and i was planning on swaping motors could i get some of that info thanks.
whatcha/got/racer is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > MG > MGB