Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 11:46 AM   #1
70DusterDev
AF Newbie

1970 Duster 340 Blower Question

Hey, i have a 1970 Plymouth Duster that i bought from my uncle that i am currently rebuilding. I am not going to supercharge this motor but i would however like to put an highrise air intake and a blower on. Is that possible?? i have heard that they make a "fake" blower kid that is just a forced air intake but not an actual supercharger. Does anyone know anything about this?? or where i could get one?
70DusterDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:46 AM   #2
sub006
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1970 Duster 340 Blower Question

Like everything else, hollowed-out GMC blower shells hiding a carburetor inside have been done mostly on small-block Chevys. Doubt if there are any ready-made kits for this project.

You will need a blower casing and some way of bolting it to your intake manifold, perhaps with adapter rails tapped to accept at least four of the blower mounting bolts, two per side. Then you need a top plate that mimics injectors with a phony fuel line running to them, and a cast aluminum air scoop. To make it convincing you need a turning pulley on the front of the shell, with a wide drive belt connecting it to a matching extension pulley in front of your crank pulley. Probably will have to use an extension adapter to get the fan out of the way. Put a small K & N air filter on the carb, perhaps atop a velocity stack. Then you have to polish everything.

So you see it's a lot of hassle including some custom machining work.

For less money why not put a real supercharger on it? In the '70s, "Mr. Norm" of Chicago offered Paxton-blown Demons off his showroom floor. The kits should still be available, and you can get up to 50% more power with no other changes.
sub006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:42 AM   #3
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Re: 1970 Duster 340 Blower Question

I'm not real clear on the "Why?" aspect of this "modification". Perhaps you could elaborate on the rationale of making a "sheep in wolf's skin"... My experience has always shown the opposite approach to be far more effective. That is, making modifications that make the car MUCH stronger/faster and don't "show"... Please, humor me.

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical