Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Jetta/Vento/Bora
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 09:30 AM   #1
Flic1
AF Newbie

Angry Catalytic converter problems...

I have a '99 GLS (new Jetta) with 94k miles on it. Recently, the catalytic converter has been rattling (past 2 months) but it is now getting pretty loud. Haven't had it looked at but a guy at the VW dealer said that's what is was just by listening to it. He said likely a $1000+ repair. Well, needless to say, there is no way I'm putting that much into a converter. I just dropped $1000 on other repairs on this thing so I don't have cash to do this. Two questions:

1. Are there any cheaper ways to replace this?? I've had a converter replaced on one of my cars (non-VW) several years ago and it was $100.

2. Is any damage being caused by driving with a rattling converter? I assume it's more of a nuisance issue.

Thanks for any help!!

Eric
Flic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 09:38 AM   #2
JettaSleeper
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to JettaSleeper
Sure...you don't necessarily have to fix it. These are the symptons of a blocked or dead cat. http://www.ae92gts.com/ae92gts_cat_symptoms.html
Although yours is only rattling, could mean its on the brink of dying...Lots of people don't use cats....are they completely necessary? Some argue no, but if you want it to be loud, stinky, and have it kill the earth don't repair it.

*W/o the cat, btw, you won't pass inspections...
JettaSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 11:15 AM   #3
Flic1
AF Newbie

Thanks for the response. I think I'm at the point now where it is just embarrasingly loud. I don't want it to do any damage either. Is there anywhere you know thatyou can get a cheaper cat? I've seen them online for $500'ish which is still high (for me). I live in Florida so emissions are not an issue but I have no way of gutting it myself.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:56 PM   #4
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

Re: Catalytic converter problems...

You could get a test/race pipe on ebay for 30-40 bucks that would replace your cat if emissions aren't a problem for you. The rattling noise is caused by a bit of the chemical stuff inside the cat becoming dislodged from the sides and rattling around in it. It wont do any damage to your car. Seriously take your car to meineke or a local exhaust shop or mechanic, any mechanic can change a cat, it isn't rocket science or anything, and if you go through them, you should be able to find a cat for alot cheaper. Stay away from dealerships, they screw you as much as they can.
-Cusco front + rear strut bars
-Greddy type-s
-ATR downpipe
-no cats
-15Gs, 3sx aluminum pulley, FMIC, SAFC, walboro pump, EVO 560ccs, and Meth Injection Kit all waiting to go in shortly.

Your 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is the 92nd out of the 315 that were made that year. Only 21 of which are exactly identical.
Igovert500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 09:11 PM   #5
Flic1
AF Newbie

I checked out some universal cats from Magnaflow but I can't figure out which size I would need. Does anyone know if this would be a decent option, and also which particular one might fit??

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2004, 11:16 AM   #6
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

Universals can work fine, what you need to be concerned with is the diameter of the piping, and overall length of the cat. Of which I don't know either on your car.
-Greddy type-s
-ATR downpipe
-no cats
-15Gs, 3sx aluminum pulley, FMIC, SAFC, walboro pump, EVO 560ccs, and Meth Injection Kit all waiting to go in shortly.

Your 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is the 92nd out of the 315 that were made that year. Only 21 of which are exactly identical.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:50 PM   #7
OffCamber00
AF Newbie

We had to replace the cat on our 99 Jetta last year (87,XXX miles). Cost for the part (independent shop) was like $650 if I remember correctly. Apparently VW warranties the cat, but only up to 75k miles. Bummer.
OffCamber00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 11:47 AM   #8
Flic1
AF Newbie

Just a follow-up to my initial post about a bad cat. Went to a local muffler shop today and the guy installed a universal cat for $180 installed. I really don't understand these dealerships. My local VW dealer wanted about $1000 for one. The part itself was $850. It's a conspiracy I tell ya......
Old 06-30-2004, 08:03 PM   #9
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

yeah dealerships rape you every chance they get. Glad to hear you got it fixed though.
-Greddy type-s
-ATR downpipe
-no cats

Old 07-06-2004, 05:27 PM   #10
BellWB
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to BellWB

I went to a local VW Dealer and they told me $1500-$3500 for a new converter! I then took it to a mechanic and got a new one put on for $170 (for everything, parts, work, tax). That was for my 95 Jetta though.
BellWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 08:22 PM   #11
JTrujillo86
AF Enthusiast

My friends cat went out on her 98 Jetta at just about 100K miles. She got a new one at allcatalyticconverters.com for $150 and got it put on at a local shop for $100. You should check to see if the website has a new cat for your car. BTW, cats seem to be a VW weekpoint. I've heard of many 99-01.5 Passats having to have theirs replaced.

I hope this helps you out.

Jeremy
JTrujillo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 08:24 PM   #12
JTrujillo86
AF Enthusiast

Okay, I'm retarted. Only AFTER posting did I read through all of the posts on this thread; needless to say, I didn't realize you've already settled your problem. Sorry.

Jeremy
JTrujillo86 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Jetta/Vento/Bora