Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Suzuki > Sidekick
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-14-2002, 02:40 PM   #1
Ura
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Ura
Anyone got some tech know how?

Hey there!
I've got an 85 SJ410 and am looking to do an engine & transmission swap into it with the 1.6L from a 91 Sidekick with 5spd tranny from the crappy 1.0L 4 spd thats in there now. Does anyone know if there's a major issue with length on the transmission that will keep it from fitting properly? I'm pretty sure the engine will pop in with little problem but I'm not sure if the whole engine and transmission will fit in together or if I'll be stuck with my old four speed.
Ura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 03:30 PM   #2
szabotage
AF Newbie

sorry but this cant be done without some major fabrication work. first of all your SJ tranny and t-case is a divorced design where as the sideflip tranny and t-case is bolted together. second of all the rear axle of the SJ is off centre to the passenger side where the sideflip is dead centre.

to make this possible you must change the driveshafts where they go into the t-case, shorten the rear axle/axleshafts of a sidekick to match the front axle width (SJ's had narrower axles than the samurai's) and finally the final drive of the two trannies are different so they must be compensated by changing your ring and pinion ratio to a 5.13 for a 5 speed and 4.62 for the automatic. this allows you to run stock tire sizes.

your best bet is to keep the sj tranny and t-case( SJ t-cases are worth their weight in gold due to the 12% gear reduction) or get a 5speed samurai tranny(preferrably an 88.5 or up due to its lower5th gear) buy an adapter plate to bolt up the sideflip engine to the sj or samurai tranny.

here's a project some friends and I are going about but consists of some major fabrication. we are building a dual transfer case setup where we use a sideflip tranny and t-case, modify the t-case to shift into 2-lo, and behind it a samurai t-case. with this modification the wheelbase will be dramatically longer. custom driveshafts, spring relocation will be necessary at this point you might have to ditch the leaf springs and go with coils.

anyways I hope this works for you
szabotage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 03:04 PM   #3
98tracker
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to 98tracker
Re: Anyone got some tech know how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ura
Hey there!
I've got an 85 SJ410 and am looking to do an engine & transmission swap into it with the 1.6L from a 91 Sidekick with 5spd tranny from the crappy 1.0L 4 spd thats in there now. Does anyone know if there's a major issue with length on the transmission that will keep it from fitting properly? I'm pretty sure the engine will pop in with little problem but I'm not sure if the whole engine and transmission will fit in together or if I'll be stuck with my old four speed.
ive heard of people swapping the swift gti engine into samurais so the sj410 might work

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Suzuki > Sidekick