Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 07:46 AM   #1
ace91
AF Regular

McLaren MP4/5B

Hi guys,

It's been a few months since I last made a kit since there are no other kits to make. Also, it took at least a month for HLJ to have the MP4/5B in stock and I finally got it last Wednesday.

I have decided to make a MP4/5B as I realized that it has passed 10th anniversary of Ayrton Senna's passing. Also, the last MP4/6 I've made using Fujimi was a real disaster. Really tested my patience making that kit that time. Thus, I decided to redeem myself by making a Tamiya version of the MP4/5B.

My work is out of the box type as I do not have the detail upgrade sets except for the Malboro & Shell logo decal set. I didn't know that the Tamiya version does not have the Shell logo & wordings. Glad I bought the Tabu Design full sponsorship set.

Anyway, this is the monocoque that I started off last Thursday (should have posted those earlier on). This is when I discovered that Tamiya didn't have the Shell wordings along with the logo. But, oh well.....

After preparing the monocoque, I have attached it with the underpanel. Took me a while to make sure it fits after sanding the sides of the underpanel.

After a while, since I do not want to bore you guys with parts by parts, here are the photos of the naked car. I think this is the first time I dare to show the naked car.

Those were the work throughout the days up till today. The only thing left is to work on the cowling. Will be working on puttying the seamline on the cowling.

That will be it for now.

Adrian
ace91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:53 AM   #2
ace91
AF Regular

Re: McLaren MP4/5B

Here is the photo of the fairing when I masked it.

Result after intense tape but then, minor mistakes were spotted & tried my best to clean it up.

The completed kit. Didn't think the Shell wording on the side fairing is way too big as you can see there.

The tyres provided by the kit has the very obvious dividing lines on the tyres which are not to my liking, thus, I used 600 grade sandpaper to try to get rid of the excess of the line. When I was sanding them, saw some excess were sanded off.

Oh yeah, I have ordered the display case but then, me being clumsy at times, I dropped the casing and the parts were detached. At least they are not broken as they are just detached from the glue. I have to bring it to the shop again to glue them back.

Adrian
ace91 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports