Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
View Poll Results: Do you detail parts that will never be seen?
No, not ever. It's a waste of time, effort and supplies. 3 6.67%
Sometimes, if the part inspires me. 22 48.89%
Most of the time. I don't have a life. 5 11.11%
Yes. It's what 'realism' is all about. 15 33.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 08:44 PM   #16
JBarry
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to JBarry Send a message via Yahoo to JBarry
Re: How much detailing?

Well like Tonio Seven states so elquontly in his sig. "Build for yourself; Noone else matters!!!"

I like detailing as much as I can and if I do go overboard, then I just apply the above logic and it's all good.

Vric makes a very valid point about the cost:time factor. Just about any model can be done in 3 days and then what do you do? 120 models a year? YIKES! @ $15.00 a pop on the shortside = $1800. buck not counting taxes and supplies, you can't drive any of them. And because one took 3 days per model, there ain't ONE that you could show off to anyone.

There can be some headaches doing parts that you will never see. One could very well open up a nasty can of worms. But most of the time I feel like williamo, Emaxx and others. I like to do the detailing.

Virc just so you know, I started back modeling after 30+ years a couple months ago. I've only finished 1 model. 1 model has taken me 130 hours. I'm almost done with her and I have just started a new project (body is painted, compounded and polished.) <insert big thanks to PMan How to...here>

To anyone that misread the "don't have a life" line. It was a joke, ya know, humour? ah nevermind, if I have to explain it, you still wouldn't understand.

Thanks to ALL that replied. It was fun and interesting to find out how people feel.

J. Barry
JBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 03:18 AM   #17
primera man
"P-Man"

Send a message via AIM to primera man
Re: How much detailing?

I will add as much detail as i can to try and make the kit stand out a wee bit more then normal.
Mostly i try and do the basic's as best as possible like paint, seem lines, trim etc as this is what people will notice most when looking at a kit.

Current Build.....1/12 Scale Camaro......Almost finished!!!

View All My Models Here.
primera man is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling