Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 03:24 AM   #1
AZTACOMA
AF Newbie

Question tailgate help

I really scratched the top of my tailgate on my 2002 Tacoma. Does anyone know of any product that acts like a lip or protector on the top of the tailgate to cover my damage? Also does anyone know a good junkyard or site where I could get a used tailgate , white, for my 2002 Doublecab?

thx
AZTACOMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 09:22 AM   #2
big_john
AF Newbie

Re: tailgate help

Instead of getting a new tailgate and possibly repeating the damage again--why not get a spray-in bedliner that covers the lip of the tailgate?

I got this done for my '04 Tacoma and it is a really tough bedliner with protection on the top of the bed and lip of the tailgate. Costs approximately $400+.
big_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 02:20 PM   #3
westly
AF Newbie

Or you could just get a bed liner; many of them cover the top of the tail gate. I thought about the coating stuff, but I've noticed on some of the older jobs I've looked at, the coating was full of cracks and looked fairly bad. The coating type stuff also doesn't prevent dents as well or hide dents.
westly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 09:14 PM   #4
MARSH_HUNTR
AF Newbie

stay away from drop in bedliners.... they are junk and will rust your bed, if you go with a brand name spray in...line-x or rhino they have a lifetime warranty...I got a line-x for my tacoma and it looks great I also have line-x in my boat and has been in it for 4 years and its a duck hunting boat and I am very tough on it.....no cracks still looks good
MARSH_HUNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 10:52 PM   #5
AZTACOMA
AF Newbie

Thanks for everyone's answer about bedliners.. I already have a sprayed in bedliner,, I just need a lip or cover that covers about the top two inches on the bedliner,,, any ideas? manufacturers?
AZTACOMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 11:51 PM   #6
Type40
AF Newbie

Did the same thing

I know what you are talking about. I got a line-x bedliner and 3 days later scraped some off the edge of the tailgate.

I have some racks to hall sheep and goats, that I lean on the tailgate and slide it in. I sheared it right off.

I went back to line-x and they patched it and ordered me a tailgate cap. A piece of plastic that only covers the top edge of the tailgate.

Try going back to the place that did you bed liner and see if they will get it, "Life Time Guarantee" and all.

If not just search for Tailgate Cap.

Hope this helps.
Type40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 05:19 PM   #7
MARSH_HUNTR
AF Newbie

let them spray that too, I have mine sprayed about 5 inches above the tailgate handle
MARSH_HUNTR is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma