Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Nova
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 02:03 AM   #1
1969NovaSS
AF Newbie

lash adjusting

k well evrytime i set my lash my oil pressure goes up to about 40 or 50 psi then i run the engine a couple times my oil pressure goes down to almost 10 psi and when i take off my valve covers and check my lash the push rods are loose and it SEEMS as though the adjuster nuts are loosening up but could it be the hydraulic lifters? but what ever it is its not good cuz its making my engine over heat could i maybe put some thread locker on my adjuster nuts? any help would be appriciated thanx
1969NovaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:49 AM   #2
bobss396
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to bobss396
Re: lash adjusting

Are you using lock nuts on your rockers? Regular nuts will back off. If you're not sure what you have, pick up a new set of lock nuts and re-adjust the valves.

Get the lash issue solved then see what your oil pressure and engine temperature is doing. They may not be related to the lash issue.

Bob
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:15 AM   #3
1969NovaSS
AF Newbie

well i have regular lock nuts i think?? they just screw into the rockers and lock onto the stud but it SEEMS as though the lock nut isnt locking the rocker adjusting nut and its letting it spin on the stud
Old 08-14-2007, 11:45 AM   #4
bobss396
AF Enthusiast

You should really get someone more experienced to look over what you have, or look at a decent manual.

This link gives some great info for valve adjusting.

http://www.centuryperformance.com/valveadjustment.asp

This picture link shows how the rocker arm nut should look like. The top of the nut should be deformed so it won't back off.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DG
Old 08-19-2007, 11:29 PM   #5
1969NovaSS
AF Newbie

with hydraulic lifters do u think its a better idea to adjust the lash WHILE the engines running that way as the lifters bleed i can tighten it and bring the oil pressure to where it should be?
Old 08-20-2007, 07:33 AM   #6
bobss396
AF Enthusiast

First off, do not count on valve adjustment to improve your oil pressure! If you are NOT getting oil up through your pushrods, stop right there and find the problem.

I always set the initial lash manually the same as setting solid lifters, but will go a 1/4 turn and stop there. This will get the motor running and if done right, you won't bend a pushrod.

From there I go with the hydraulic procedure in the link. I use those rocker stoppers but you'll still wind up with a mess. You can use cardboard and shop rags to catch most of it. Back off each rocker until it clacks, then tighten it slowly until the noise stops. This is the zero lash point. Then go a 1/4 turn and stop. Wait for the lifter to pump up and go another 1/4 turn. Go through the rest of the rockers the same way. Some specs call for a total of 3/4 turn, but for the street use, I keep it conservative, especially on used parts.

Good luck, Bob

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Nova