Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Cabrio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 08:20 AM   #1
tristanc2003
AF Newbie

power goes out downshifting

My boyfriend and I just bought an 89 Cabrio. We love it....but it has a problem. We drove to Frankfurt ( about an hour away,) and the car ran just fine, When we tried to leave, the car died whenever I took the foot off the accelerator. We had it towed to a garage, and they fixed it temperarily. Unfortunantly, the mechanic wasn't familiar with American spec cars. Now, it has a VERY low idle (about 500) and it loses power briefly whenever I turn and downshift. If I give it gas, it gains power again. Also, it stalls whenever I reverse. The mechanics are not very helpful, but if I knew what the problem is, I could fix it myself using my handy vw book. Or, I could translate the parts into German and explain it to them. I just have no clue... Is the idle set too low. Or maybe it's a fuel injector problem....Any help would be much appreciated!! Thank you.
tristanc2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 10:30 PM   #2
boschmann
AF Fanatic

Re: power goes out downshifting

Have you checked/cleaned the auxillary air regulator? Also, I can't remember if CIS-L uses a throttle position switch for closed throttle.
boschmann is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Cabrio