Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Camaro Discussions
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 08:23 AM   #1
hotrod_chevyz
AF Enthusiast

brake cooling kits

My brakes heat up in front cause the wheels i have, so i want to add a brake cooling kit. Does anybody on here have these, How well do they work?

I would like to reduce the front brake heat by at least half, should i expect this much difference?

That would be the only way i would start cutting holes in my front bumper. I dont expect it to help under 50MPH, but my car is driven more highway speed than city speed.
hotrod_chevyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:27 AM   #2
wrightz28
is bring'n sexy back

Re: brake cooling kits

Sounds like someone was wotching too much "Nascar: Tech Tip" with that one

I hate to say that the answer is not going to be entirely a cheap one. The cheapest way, upgrade to bigger brakes, say maybe from a Caprice civil package (F-body would better but...), a Corvette kit??

Or the more expensive route would be through some place like Baer or Wildwood and get cross-drilled rotors and uprade the claipers.

wrightz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:39 AM   #3
hotrod_chevyz
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightz28
Sounds like someone was wotching too much "Nascar: Tech Tip" with that one

I hate to say that the answer is not going to be entirely a cheap one. The cheapest way, upgrade to bigger brakes, say maybe from a Caprice civil package (F-body would better but...), a Corvette kit??

Or the more expensive route would be through some place like Baer or Wildwood and get cross-drilled rotors and uprade the claipers.

Tech tip haha good one yeah.

I saw them was i used to work for a company called baker brothers as an electrical apprentice. The owner tom ownes a 04 GTO race car that has them and i want them too. Its not even a real car its sheet metal on a full race style tube chassis. A simple duct style cooling kit is only about 200 bucks.

My wheels arent vented. The brakes run cool on the 74 firebird rally II wheels i have wich are vented. They run hot only with the non vented progressive aluminum wheels.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:50 AM   #4
wrightz28
is bring'n sexy back

yeah, I figured you weren't getting any air through th erims. Are the rears adjsuted correctly? Just trying to elimante that there maybe 2 gremlins in the works here: 1 being the rims and 2 being bad brake proportioning
wrightz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:55 PM   #5
hotrod_chevyz
AF Enthusiast

Hey now. if i have gremlins in the system, they need to get their ass to work and make me some brake coolers

The only part of the brake system with more than 5,000 miles on it would be some but not all of the steel lines, and the brake booster. All this car does is sit under a car port after i rebuilt the whole thing, inside and out. I probably should pull the wheels off and check to see if the rotors are getting surface rust, cause how long it has sat.

American camaro and firebird told me they are available for third gens, from 88-92. Said they go in place of the fog lights at the bottom of the bumper wich mine doesnt have because its too early of model and has no ground efects. He also mentioned dual piston calipers and cross drilled rotors are what the cooling system is meant to work with. I guess what he was saying is the duct forces air through the holes in the rotor, thus cooling them on both sides. A rotor that isnt drilled would be worthless to put these on, cause the air can only reach the inside portion of the rotor.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Camaro Discussions