Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Performance
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Performance Discuss Engine, Suspension, Drivetrain, and all other performance modifications here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 03:16 AM   #1
novi
AF Newbie

Classic mustang to 5.0 fuel injection

I have an automatic '66 I-6 Mustang and i want to put in an engine from an automatic '89 5.0 Mustang.

I'm still trying to figure out what parts i would need. I've already tracked down the donor car. What parts will I need from the donor and what parts will I need besides those?
novi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Classic mustang to 5.0 fuel injection

This would be a big job.

You will need the '89 transmission, ECM, engine wiring harness and all engine accessories, such as the alternator, water pump, power steering pump etc.

Stock 1966 289 V8 engine mounts would likely work, to support the engine. But you would need a custom-made transmission mount, drive shaft and exhaust system.

You would need an in-line electric fuel pump, good for 35 psi, . You will also need to fabricate both a sender and return fuel lines, good for high pressure, but I think you could use the '89 fuel pressure regulator.

You would need to adapt the '89 wiring harness to the '66 car, so the '89 wiring harness receives power, the stock ignition switch works and the alternator charges the battery properly.

You may also need front springs from a 1966 V8 mustang. I am not sure, but the V8 may be heavier than a six.

If the '66 has power steering, the '89 power steering pump should be able to power it without much trouble. But you would need to make custom-made hoses, as the '89 probably has metric fittings and flares, but the '66 has SAE items.

If the '66 has no power steering, you will have to either remove the '89 power steering pump and source a shorter fan belt, or just run the inlet and outlet hose of the pump together, and run the pump as an idler pulley. But do not let the pump run dry, as it will seize up.

Finally, the 1966 6-cyl Mustang had a weaker rear axle than the V8, and also had weaker, 4-bolt wheels. It may be a good idea to locate a 1966 V8 rear axle and 5-bolt front hubs.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:32 AM   #3
novi
AF Newbie

Wow, Thanks a lot! This is a big help!
I'm trying to gauge the work and expenses before i actually start taking things apart.
I have about 4 thousand to spend and the '89 mustang would costs about 1,500 so I'm feeling pretty optimistic. There's a Mustang store and Mod shop, Mustangs Plus, in town who've done this swap. I'm sure i can get the custom parts from them.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:58 PM   #4
wafrederick
Banned

Or get a 9 inch Ford for the rear end which is a very strong rear end.The Ford 8.8 is a very weak rear end and gets replaces a lot in the fullsize trucks
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:11 AM   #5
novi
AF Newbie

Okay, I've got a pretty clear idea on how and where to get everything except the rear axle, and taking care of the 4 to 5 lugs bit.
I'm researching swaps for disc brakes too.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:44 PM   #6
wafrederick
Banned

Currie is one place to call for a 9 inch Ford and they can set it up for rear disc brakes.With a Currie,you do not put in synthetic gear lube in their rear ends,it voids the warranty and they found out synthetic gear lube does damage to the ring and pinion.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 02:45 AM   #7
novi
AF Newbie

Unless I'm mistaken the AOD transmission is 7/32 of an inch longer than the C4 transmission. Will i be able to make it fit without a problem, is there something I'd have to adjust, or will i need a custom shorter drive shaft?
Old 09-05-2009, 03:05 AM   #8
thisnametooktolong
AF Regular

A smidge less than 1/4 of an inch is not that much for a drive shaft. I would assemble it as is and then drop the rear end down to the rubber stops to see if it binds. If it doesn’t, I would not go through the expense of a shorter drive shaft.

That is the problem with drive shaft lengths, to short and the output will wobble/ fall out, to long and it will bind
thisnametooktolong is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
automatic , classic , fuel , injection , mustang
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Performance