Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
bootlegapparel
AF Newbie

2012 Toyota GT 86 - new sports coupe

Heaps of new pictures and videos have been released about the new Toyota GT 86; http://www.allcarwiki.com/wiki/Toyota_GT-86

It's shaping up to be an awesome car.

What do you guys think?
Personally, the car looks awesome, but frankly I'm a bit surprised at the low power output I was expecting the Subaru to have an official upper spec with about 200kw. But from what the insiders at Toyota have been saying the car is being designed to be modded. I guess they're setting up the basics and letting the individual owners determine what power the car should be putting out.

The Scion FR-S have been released as well which is the American version. Not sure which version Australia would get, but I'm guessing it'd be a combination of the Euro GT 86 and the US FR-S.

The interior is looking pretty hideous though:

bootlegapparel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Re: 2012 Toyota GT 86 - new sports coupe

Is anyone else concerned the GT 86 is going to be more a marketing and sales tool than a proper car to drive?

The name alone just screams "try hard attempt". It's the Japanese copying the American success with Retro designs and names. It's living in the past and IMO a total cop out.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
Chris V
The Big Meaney

Not afraid here, All early indications and road tests of the production versions are for a serious driving machine, with perfect balance, low CG, and low overall weight. Also a 7000 rpm+ redline from the Yamaha-head boxer engine, room for a turbo later, and only the bare necessities interior-wise. Also, there's a graphic floating around from the japanese owner's manual on how to carry your race tires to the track in it...

I'm seriously considering checking the Scion version out when it arrives here (it will not have climate control or nav, standard. The Subaru BRZ version will have those and a higher price).

2013 MINI JCW Roadster
2023 Chevy Bolt
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
Chris V
The Big Meaney

2013 MINI JCW Roadster
2023 Chevy Bolt
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
Not afraid here, All early indications and road tests of the production versions are for a serious driving machine, with perfect balance, low CG, and low overall weight. Also a 7000 rpm+ redline from the Yamaha-head boxer engine, room for a turbo later, and only the bare necessities interior-wise. Also, there's a graphic floating around from the japanese owner's manual on how to carry your race tires to the track in it...

Lets hope Yamaha don't screw up the power delivery like they did on the 2ZZ-GE in the last Celica.

If they are so serious about it, then why not give it a new name, and a new identity?
Perhaps something that continues on from the old AE 86, but is not directly linked to it.

It's important to remember that the AE 86, and the later Truenos and Levins that followed, were all directly related to the Corolla.

This GT-86 looks like a totally new stand alone design developed by 2 very different companies together.
Subaru and Toyota are going to give it their brand and background, but if they are not careful those to histories will clash and the car will end up confused and lost.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:41 AM   #6
AddsionPaul
AF Newbie

Thanks for the first look of the Toyota GT 86 also like it's sports coupe model very much.
AddsionPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #7
Tanabe
AF Newbie

it seems Toyota has revealed the grade of 86...will be available in RC, G, GT and GT Limited...the GT Limited is 4WD