Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Liberty
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 05:13 PM   #1
newdome
AF Newbie

2005 Jeep Liberty Gas Mileage

I have a 2005 Liberty with the 3.7 and can't get any more than 16 mpg highway. I've been performing the measurement based on the number of miles driven between fill-ups. I'm not using the computer calculation. I have 5000 miles and just took it in for the first oil change. The Service Manager told me he's getting nothing but complaints. He says he's checked but can not find any software fixes and Jeep has not provided any suggested adjustments. I've only had the vehicle for 4 months, but I have to sell it because I can't affford to drive it. I traded in a 1994 S-10 Blazer with a 4.3 ltr V6 that was getting 19 mpg highway!!
Old 02-20-2006, 09:56 PM   #2
Jeepme
AF Regular

Re: 2005 Jeep Liberty Gas Mileage

My 03 Liberty gets 19 mpg on average. I have the v-6 with automatic. My old 4.0 stick Cherokee with 214,000 miles gets 23 mpg. I expected the Liberty to do as well or better when I bought it but the 4 mpg difference won't cause me to sell it. I just drove it on a 2400 mile trip and the difference in mileage between it and the Cherokee was 22 gal. The Liberty is a lot nicer on long trips due to the better seats, increased leg room, up-dated suspension, and increased comfort level. I have noticed that the Liberty's motor turns about 200 rpm faster at 65 than the Cherokee's. I guess that is where the difference is.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:56 AM   #3
neon_rt
AF Enthusiast

My mom sold her '03 Liberty b/c she had expected to get 20-22mpg and only got about 16mpg. On long trips she would get about 18. I borrowed it for a week while she was gone on vacation and got 20 driving it back and forth to work (4 miles back country road and 8 miles highway each way). Driving technique seems to make a difference. I noticed that it gets good mileage at about 60mph, but if you go faster the mileage goes down fast. Same with my Cherokee too though, pushing a brick through the air is hard to do at 65mph.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:38 AM   #4
Zuki
AF Newbie

I have a 06 Liberty I bought at Christmas time it has 2300 miles now. The best I have ever gotten was 16 mpg its usually around 13 mpg most of the time. I'm disappointed it doesn't get better,maybe with more mileage on it I hope. Otherwise I really like it.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:00 AM   #5
Ron Warren
AF Newbie

I increaced my liberty to 20mpg by installing a K&N air filter. Haven't tried ethanol yet. What does it take to convert to ethanol???
Old 05-17-2006, 10:35 AM   #6
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdome
I have a 2005 Liberty with the 3.7 and can't get any more than 16 mpg highway. I've been performing the measurement based on the number of miles driven between fill-ups. I'm not using the computer calculation. I have 5000 miles and just took it in for the first oil change. The Service Manager told me he's getting nothing but complaints. He says he's checked but can not find any software fixes and Jeep has not provided any suggested adjustments. I've only had the vehicle for 4 months, but I have to sell it because I can't affford to drive it. I traded in a 1994 S-10 Blazer with a 4.3 ltr V6 that was getting 19 mpg highway!!

If you check your owner's manual, you'll see that it states that you won't get as good mileage until the engine is broken in. I had the 3.7L in a Dodge pickup, and got horrible mileage (15-17) until I'd passed about 12K miles. Then the engine loosened up and I started getting much better, 17-18 in town and up to 21.5 on the highway.

We also had the occasion to rent a Liberty in Colorado. At speeds of 55-60 we got 20+ mpg, but at 70mph it dipped down to as low as 17.

I think some patience is in order while your engine breaks in....keeping your foot out of it and adjusting your speed will also show an improvement.

You might also want to consider using a good synthetic motor oil, as that will sometimes increase mpg (and is just plain good for your engine)

Hope that helps.

Oh, and the ethanol conversion will actually decrease your mpg.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:55 AM   #7
sevenslotgrill
AF Newbie

I know this post goes back to May but I had to respond. I have an 05 KJ with the 3.7 liter and A/T. My mechanic buddy suggested I run dino until about 10,000 miles or so to let the engine break in. Then switch to full synthetic just because it's better. Between the breaking in and the synthetic I got a 1-2 mpg improvement. I'm averaging about 18.1 around town and 21.5 on highway. Depends on how I drive it though.

So esentially I have the same experience as the prior post.

Probably the best I can hope for although we all want better. Aerodynamicly it is a brick and there are variables. But then I knew that when I bought it. I guess I bought it for other reasons.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:38 PM   #8
The Fast Forester
AF Newbie

I'd give it a little more time on the engine break-in. We're getting about 18-19 MPG on a 2005 Liberty with 32K.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:14 AM   #9
Ron Warren
AF Newbie

Yup ! I am actually getting 20 mph now w/ 18k mi.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:01 PM   #10
sweethe
AF Newbie

I wouldn't mind having one of those, actually.
I'm excitedly waiting all the changes in technology and availability of vehicles in the near future!!!

Has anyone tried the kit? like runyourcaronwater,gas4free etc.
You can truly get better mileage...... http://carwaterguide.blogspot.com
Old 10-11-2008, 08:48 PM   #11
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan

Please check the date on old threads before posting. 30 days max, please.

Closed.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Liberty