Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > ZX2
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 06:00 PM   #1
jhowe
AF Newbie

Changing the alternator...help please

1998 ZX2

I've got the old alternator almost out. The coolant bottle is off allowing room for top side removal of alternator, all bolts are off except for the bottom one directly below the top one (bottom bolt, closest to belt). It seems that the fuel line bracket is directly behind it, and I can't get my socket and wrench to fit over the bolt squarely. It only seems to fit over at an angle, which doesn't grab any of the torque points. Any suggestions on how I can get this bolt off?

Secondly, I didn't notice any place to relieve the belt tension. I'm sure taking the old alternator off wouldn't be a problem, but getting the new one on without relieving the belt tension might be a bit tricky.

Thanks
jhowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 06:50 PM   #2
jd-autotech
AF Regular

Re: Changing the alternator...help please

if you look hard at the pullie that seems to just be an idler the should be bolt going in sidewise loosen the center bolt of the pulle then loosen the bolt that goes side ways, you may have to pry the engine alittle to side to sneak the alternator out and in.hope it helps
jd-autotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:28 AM   #3
jhowe
AF Newbie

Thanks for the reply. I haven't looked into it yet because my main focus is to get the third and final bolt off. anybody have any ideas how to do that?
jhowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 06:05 PM   #4
KimMG
AF - Advisor

Swival socket?
KimMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 10:51 AM   #5
Paul78zephyr
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowe
1998 ZX2

I've got the old alternator almost out. The coolant bottle is off allowing room for top side removal of alternator, all bolts are off except for the bottom one directly below the top one (bottom bolt, closest to belt). It seems that the fuel line bracket is directly behind it, and I can't get my socket and wrench to fit over the bolt squarely. It only seems to fit over at an angle, which doesn't grab any of the torque points. Any suggestions on how I can get this bolt off?

Secondly, I didn't notice any place to relieve the belt tension. I'm sure taking the old alternator off wouldn't be a problem, but getting the new one on without relieving the belt tension might be a bit tricky.

Thanks
You seem to have most of the job done but just for the record I just replaced the alt(ernator) on my 2001 ZX2 yesterday. It took me about 1-1/2 hours including cleaning my battery cables which had a lot of crud on them. The alt itself probably took an hour. I had replaced my serpentine belt about 6months ago so I was familiar with that procedure and that helped quicken the job.

For others thinking of doing this job here is procedure I used:
1. Jack up front of car, put on jackstands, remove right front (passenger) wheel/tire.
2. Remove right front lower engine splash shield (black plastic piece). Its held on with 8 or so bolts (use 10mm socket for all).
3. Partially remove the serpentine belt: place a 13mm box wrench on the tensioner bolt (try to put the wrench on the bolt so it hangs down to the 4 O clock position) and pull the tensioner towards the REAR of the car until you can slip the belt off the crank pulley. Then slip the belt off the alt pulley. Do not remove the belt from the other pulleys unless you are planning on replacing it. See:

http://www.rldassociates.com/zx2/howto/belt.htm

4. Disconnect the battery negative cable.
5. Remove the COOLANT reservoir (not the washer reservoir). Top bolt (10mm socket), lower nut/stud (10mm deep socket).
6. Remove the 3 bolts holding the alt to the engine (13mm socket). The 3 bolts are all identical size/length. Top and lower left (drivers side) bolts are removed from the top. You may need a pivoting ratchet (I did) for the lower left bolt. The lower right bolt (passenger side) MUST be removed from underneath. Its tight working but not too bad. As you lift the alt out disconnect the two electrical connectors (be gentle not to break them). Remove the large output wire (under a little boot) from the red output stud with a 10mm box wrench.
7. Install is pretty much reverse of removal. Be sure to put the serpentine belt on the alt pulley and make sure its correctly seated on all the other pulleys then pull the tensioner fully rearward (see 3 above) and slip the belt over the crank pulley last.

One last thing is that I bought a Motorcraft (Ford) reman alt and it did NOT come with the pulley so I had to swap my pulley from my old alt. Fairly easy if you have an impact wrench. The pulley bolts require a 24mm socket.

Please click here to check out my ‘78 Zephyr at my crappy Cardomain webpage

Good luck,
Paul
Paul78zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > ZX2