Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > PT Cruiser | PT Cruiser Convertible
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
autoa
AF Newbie

Replace 05 timing belt

I have an 05 cruiser with 97,000 miles. I would like to know the procedure for replacing the timing belt. I have searched the forum and have not found the correct procedure. One forum member mentioned he had to borrow "specialty tools". I would like to replace the belt and anything else that might be necessary since I will be "in there". All help and advice is appreciated.
autoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:24 AM   #2
hundahunta
AF Enthusiast

Re: Replace 05 timing belt

the only special tools you need is a crank damper remover and installer
hundahunta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hundahunta For This Useful Post:
GoldieTatar (01-04-2014)
Old 07-09-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
Beverly Stayart
AF Newbie

Thanks for this info as I had the same question.
Beverly Stayart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:25 AM   #4
amsman
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoa View Post
I have an 05 cruiser with 97,000 miles. I would like to know the procedure for replacing the timing belt. I have searched the forum and have not found the correct procedure. One forum member mentioned he had to borrow "specialty tools". I would like to replace the belt and anything else that might be necessary since I will be "in there". All help and advice is appreciated.
I am getting ready to do my second timing belt.Not a fun job My best friend used to work for Chrysler he informed me that while youare in there you might as well do the water pump and the thermostat. I had a shop tell me the book time and the cost is 1000.00. After the head ache the last time I am willing to pay to have it done!!! Normally I do my own work.
amsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
win_daddy
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to win_daddy

DO THE WATER PUMP TOO! I did my first timing belt at ~90K. I did NOT have the big tool to hold the cam sprockets. You have to remove the cam sprockets, then remove a plate behind them to get to the water pump. Now at 142K, the original water pump is leaking. I now have the right tool to remove the sprockets and will be attacking this job again in the spring. (ugh!) Also, you have to disconnect the A/C lines at the firewall, remove the right-side motor mount and jack up the engine to get the timing cover off and get to everything. The A/C will need evacuated and recharged afterwards. It's the most difficult timing belt replacement I've ever done.......

Good luck
win_daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to win_daddy For This Useful Post:
GoldieTatar (01-04-2014)
Old 01-04-2014, 07:18 PM   #6
GoldieTatar
AF Newbie

Is it possible to check timing belt condition without taking apart engine?
GoldieTatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:15 PM   #7
partyd
AF Newbie

There is no need to remove the AC lines or the cams ,
I am not a mechanic and i have done this 3 times for my car and family
Yes it is a PITA
remove the screws for the computer but don't unplug and make sure you rent the tool for the main pulley, buy the best water pump you don't want to this again next year

instructions with some of my pictures
http://partydown.com/ptcruiser/ptcruisertimingbelt.html
partyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:59 PM   #8
Searles Lewis
AF Regular

Smile Re: Replace 05 timing belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyd View Post
There is no need to remove the AC lines or the cams ,
I am not a mechanic and i have done this 3 times for my car and family
Yes it is a PITA
remove the screws for the computer but don't unplug and make sure you rent the tool for the main pulley, buy the best water pump you don't want to this again next year

instructions with some of my pictures
http://partydown.com/ptcruiser/ptcruisertimingbelt.html
How much time did it take?
Searles Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:21 PM   #9
partyd
AF Newbie

The first time, It took me 3 hours to take it all apart from 7 am to 10am, I when inside and wait untill the afternoon to hot to work outside in FL, when out around 4pm 1 Hour to replace the timming belt and water pump and test the engine. and about 3 more hours to put it all back together the next morning at 7 am

now I can do everything in about 4 hours because i know where are all the screws to remove and what tools to use
i have more pictures that i will post later
partyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:32 PM   #10
jerryg2112
AF Regular

I have an 05 Pacifica that I recently did a timing belt on. Not the same motor or vehicle but probably a lot of similarities. I bought the puller for the crankshaft pulley. You definitely need it. That sucker is really pressed on there and it's not coming off without it. You have to have the one specifically for that pulley since there is no room for a regular puller. It also takes a lot of force so your engine is going to turn on you. You have to block a piston or use an impact gun. I used an impact since I didn't like the idea of sticking something in a cylinder an prying against it. You also need to buy a tool to put it back on or make one. If you try to crank it back on using the bolt you removed from the end of the crankshaft you will only have a few threads in there and probably will strip them out. I used threaded rod to put mine back on. It was a little hard to find since it's metric and almost nobody sells it and I couldn't find long bolts that have a full thread. I needed about 6", threaded it in all the way and then slowly pressed it on with a nut and washer while I double nutted the end so I could hold it with a wrench or the engine will turn on you. I did the water pump at the same time and I recommend that you do too. It's 9 years old now and in the timing belt loop. If it was to fail on you it would be a lot of work to do this whole job again.Plus if it seizes up on you it could cause a lot of damage since this is probably a zero clearance engine. After you get the cover off and the marks lined up, take a paint marker and mark the sides of the crankshaft and camshaft pulleys by a tooth next to the timing marks. Then mark the old belt on the side next to those marks. You can lay the belts next to each other and transfer the marks to the new belt before you install it. This helps a lot when you install the new belt.
jerryg2112 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > PT Cruiser | PT Cruiser Convertible