Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 10:14 AM   #1
McKaitkal35
AF Newbie

Does secondary air pump need replaced?

I took my 2000 Chevy Venture back to the dealer because I am still under warranty. They fixed all of the issues/problems with it except for the one that I was most concerned about. I hear a humming noise every morning when I start the minivan that lasts for 1 to 2 minutes. I also hear it after the van has sat for several hours. Then, when I am driving, I will hear the noise occasionally here and there but it only lasts for 2 to 3 seconds.

The technician at the dealership said that the humming noise was coming from the secondary air pump and that it was normal. I guess that I have to take his word for it but it does not sound normal to me.

I was just wondering if the technician is correct, that it is normal for the secondary air pump to make that humming noise or if there is something wrong still? How do I know when the secondary air pump needs replaced? When it stops making that noise? I just want someone to either reassure me that it's normal so I can stop worrying or tell me that it is not so I can get it back in to the dealer before my warranty expires.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot!
McKaitkal35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:21 PM   #2
bigcoconut
AF Regular

Re: Does secondary air pump need replaced?

It sounds like your van has the towing package with the air suspension on the rear axle. My air pump makes the same noise just after starting in the morning and other times when the suspension needs leveling.

The noise is simply the small compressor located at the rear just under the body on the drivers side. If you have the air suspension than you should have the air valve for accessories (blow up pool toys and soccer balls, that's what I use it for) in the back behind the last row of seats on the drivers side wall.

As long as the van body remains level from rear to front than you are OK. Basically the distance between the top of the tire and edge of the wheel well on the body should be about the same on the front and back. The noise is 'normal' since air pumps/compressors are never really quiet.

Hope this helps...

2008 Kawasaki KLR650 2500mi (fairweather commuter)
1992 C1500 Silverado 235,000mi (daily, not so much anymore, driver)
1999 Venture 120,000mi (moms vacation bus)
1989 Dodge Ramcharger SOLD, Yee-Freak'in-Haw
bigcoconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:25 PM   #3
GregA
AF Enthusiast

McKaitkal35,

You didn't say where the noise is coming from - the front of the van or the rear?

The secondary air pump is near the left-front wheel.

The leveling system (mentioned above) is in the rear of the van.

Take Care,
GregA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:50 PM   #4
McKaitkal35
AF Newbie

The noise is coming from the front under the hood which is where the technician told me the secondary air pump was. When I read the other post above, I wasn't sure if it was the same situation because it said that the noise was from the rear of the van. Now my service engine soon light is on too!!!!!
McKaitkal35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:25 PM   #5
bigcoconut
AF Regular

Sorry for the confusion before, when I read the initial post and the times when the sound was occuring I automatically assumed the rear suspension air compressor. As far as the front is concerned, I've never heard a sound from the air pump my 99 Venture. Heck, I didn't even know it had one until the next post with the link on its location.

I hope you get this figured out. I don't know much about the air pumps on cars, but anything that makes a humming noise when rotating at engine RPM speeds sounds like bearings, even if its intermittent. I'll have to break open my shop manual on my van tonight to learn more about it.

2008 Kawasaki KLR650 2500mi (fairweather commuter)
1992 C1500 Silverado 235,000mi (daily, not so much anymore, driver)
1999 Venture 120,000mi (moms vacation bus)
1989 Dodge Ramcharger SOLD, Yee-Freak'in-Haw
bigcoconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:17 PM   #6
GregA
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKaitkal35
The noise is coming from the front under the hood which is where the technician told me the secondary air pump was. When I read the other post above, I wasn't sure if it was the same situation because it said that the noise was from the rear of the van. Now my service engine soon light is on too!!!!!
In my van, the secondary air pump comes ON and goes OFF at somewhat random intervals - sometimes when I am driving, sometimes when parked with the engine running.

As for the service engine light, you should be able to get the codes pulled (read) for no cost at an auto parts store. If you do that, post the codes back here and we will see what is happening.

Take Care,
GregA is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture