Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > Eldorado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 09:40 PM   #1
chris777232
AF Newbie

93 eldorado keeps stalling out whlie driving

Hello all! I have a 93 eldorado with the northstar engine with 102000 miles. When i drive down the road going about 40 mph the car will die. It will restart when i put it in N and the car is still rolling after a few attemps. It will do this on average 3 or 4 times within a mile of driving. It also dies sometimes when i am slowing down for a stop, when this happens, the car will most of the time not start up. The first time this happened I had it towed to my house, paid the tow truck guy and just out of curiousity tryied to start it, and it started right up! Lately, when it dies and won't start back up, i leave it sit for about 6 or 7 hours, get a ride back to where it is at and it starts right up. This has been goin on for about 2 months now, and yesterday it died coming up on a stop, I went back to start it today and it didn't start. I don't know what to do or have never heard of such a problem. If any one has any suggestions or commets please email me at cweav@comcast.net Thank you for your time! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
chris777232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 07:37 PM   #2
butch h
AF Regular

Re: 93 eldorado keeps stalling out whlie driving

Have you tried to pull up any ECM codes?
butch h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 05:03 PM   #3
cadisuz13
AF Newbie

Hi, I have a similar problem but not as bad. I also have a 93 eldorado that stalls. I don't have a northstar engine though and mine always starts back up (luckily). My stalling use to occur much more when I wasn't driving my car a lot but it seems that now i drive it everyday its helped A LOT. I've been driving it everyday for about 6 weeks and it has only stalled twice now i think. I dont know if you have this too but my engine sometimes seems to just about shut down on the highway, it doesn't stall out but the engine light comes on for a minute or 2 it won't accelerate like it should. But if you have found out more about your problem or have gotten it fixed could you please pass on the info. Thanks!
cadisuz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 08:44 PM   #4
M.A.C
AF Newbie

First thing you should do is check for codes in diagnostic mode.

To enter diagnostic mode:
1. Turn ignition "ON."
2. Depress the "OFF" and "WARMER" buttons on the Climate Control Center (CCC) simultaneously and hold until the segment check appears on the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC).

To get out of the diagnostic mode anytime during the test, depress the "AUTO" or "DEFOG" button, or turn the ignition switch "OFF." Trouble codes are not erased if this is done prior to selecting "CODES CLEARED."

Here is where you can find out what the codes mean:

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd1.html
M.A.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 08:46 AM   #5
HairyJLT
AF Newbie

I was just wondering if you found out what the problem with your caddy was. I have the same problem with mine and have never been able to solve it. No error codes show up, have changed the map sensor, (3 times) plug wires, plugs, and all wireing seems to be ok. This seems to be a problem with all caddys and no one has a solution. Please respond to hairyjlt2003@yahoo.com if anyone has an answer for this.
HairyJLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 04:10 PM   #6
M.A.C
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyJLT
I was just wondering if you found out what the problem with your caddy was. I have the same problem with mine and have never been able to solve it. No error codes show up, have changed the map sensor, (3 times) plug wires, plugs, and all wireing seems to be ok. This seems to be a problem with all caddys and no one has a solution. Please respond to hairyjlt2003@yahoo.com if anyone has an answer for this.
Often the problem is a defective crankshaft sensor which, from what I remember, throws off timing and ignition spark. My brother had the same problem with his 92 Buick Park Avenue and it was the crankshaft sensor. Others have had the same problem.
M.A.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:27 PM   #7
HairyJLT
AF Newbie

Found problem with stalling and trashing of map sensors. The fuel rail had a busted plastic line on it allowing raw gas to enter the manifold, which evidently was affecting the map sensors (the raw gas). Also changed the thermostat as the problem seemed to compound itself the hotter the car gets. Sure is a sorry rig up on the fuel injectors. 43,000.00 for a plastic toy!!!
HairyJLT is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > Eldorado