Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 06:51 PM   #1
nismo300zx
AF Newbie

help me please..... 1990 300zx

have a 1990 nissan 300zx, today while i was going to school, i was drifting in the Z

but then suddenly i lost alot of power, and a loud metal noise came on.....i thought i crap, i dont have oil and my bearings are gone, but i check the oil and it was fine, i put some more and right now its not burning any oil....

but the problem still there, i get the metal noise, like "TEKE TEKE TEKE " and the car doesnt have any power....i mean it runs, but really slow, and if u press all the gas, the sound is louder..

what could it be?? help me out....tnx by the way....
nismo300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 07:07 PM   #2
rendertrust
AF Enthusiast

Re: help me please..... 1990 300zx

sounds to me like the torque converter but then of course i dont know where its connected or what its even connected to, i dont know anything about cars forget my post
rendertrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 07:24 PM   #3
neogenesis
AF Enthusiast

5 Speed or Auto?
neogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 07:36 PM   #4
nismo300zx
AF Newbie

Re: Re: help me please..... 1990 300zx

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogenesis
5 Speed or Auto?
5 speed
Old 11-15-2004, 08:17 PM   #5
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
is it coming from your engine or the underneath you. you could be grinding a gear causing a grinding of metal sound. this will cause loss in power because the transmission isnt fully engaging into that gear. or if its coming from the engine, sounds to me like a piston got loose and bent a valve or something of that nature. dont over fill the oil....

also, if its coming from the back of the car, could be that your carrier bearing in your drive shaft went out. differential??? give a little more detail...
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 08:19 PM   #6
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakonaleash1187 Send a message via MSN to freakonaleash1187

DO NOT overfill or underfill the oil. if the sound is coming from the engine, DO NOT drive it anymore, don't even start it. if it is making a noise like you say it is, there is something wrong internally, and the engine running will make it even worst. and not to be the bearer of bad news, but you might need to do a rebuild.

-Jared

ZedEx Crew Member #2
freakonaleash1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 08:34 PM   #7
nismo300zx
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3smostwanted
is it coming from your engine or the underneath you. you could be grinding a gear causing a grinding of metal sound. this will cause loss in power because the transmission isnt fully engaging into that gear. or if its coming from the engine, sounds to me like a piston got loose and bent a valve or something of that nature. dont over fill the oil....

also, if its coming from the back of the car, could be that your carrier bearing in your drive shaft went out. differential??? give a little more detail...
its coming from the left head....the sound is from the engine...the left part is the one who does the noise
Old 11-15-2004, 08:37 PM   #8
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

its probably internal like i said before. if you didnt loose power then it could have been a few other things that wouldnt have been a big deal. you have a TT or n/a???
ZedEx Crew Member #4
Old 11-15-2004, 08:43 PM   #9
nismo300zx
AF Newbie

Quote:
its probably internal like i said before. if you didnt loose power then it could have been a few other things that wouldnt have been a big deal. you have a TT or n/a???
i have an na.....

so what you recomend me to do??
Old 11-15-2004, 08:48 PM   #10
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

tow it to a trusted local shop...see what they say and go from there. if they say you need a new engine or yours rebuilt, do some research before you have them go ahead and start it. also, come back here and ask us what we think. im sure someone here will be able to tell you if that sounds like a decnt price or they are trying to rip you off.

just so you know, if you need your motor rebuilt. i think the cheapest and best route to go would be to find someone who will pull the engine for you for free or cheap. family, friends, or neighbors. then take the block engine to a local machine shop. they will rebuild it fresh so there is 0 miles on it for very cheap.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
Old 11-15-2004, 08:51 PM   #11
nismo300zx
AF Newbie

Quote:
tow it to a trusted local shop...see what they say and go from there. if they say you need a new engine, do some research before you have them go ahead and start it. also, come back here and ask us what we think. im sure someone here will be able to tell you if that sounds like a decnt price or they are trying to rip you off.
do u think with 2 grand ill be able to buy a used engine and them to install it to my car??

or it could be much more than that?

or how about if we just fix my engine, it would be cheaper or expensier?
Old 11-15-2004, 08:56 PM   #12
nismo300zx
AF Newbie

Quote:

just so you know, if you need your motor rebuilt. i think the cheapest and best route to go would be to find someone who will pull the engine for you for free or cheap. family, friends, or neighbors. then take the block engine to a local machine shop. they will rebuild it fresh so there is 0 miles on it for very cheap.
oh no, we have everything in my garage to pull out engines and everything.....thats not a problem

how much you think a rebuild will cost me?
Old 11-15-2004, 08:56 PM   #13
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

2 grand should get you a used n/a engine installed, probably cheaper. it might be cheaper to fix the engine you have or it might not. depending on how much is damaged once they break it open. now would be a good time for a TT swap if you wanted.

BTW: my opinion would be to buy yourself a used engine, have someone drop it in for you. then you have an extra engine, when you get some money together, take it to a machine shop and have them rebuild it with performance parts and lower the compression, then slap 2 turbos on it. and then when your ready, you got yourself a new POWERFUL engine.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
Old 11-15-2004, 08:58 PM   #14
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Re: Re: help me please..... 1990 300zx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo300zx
oh no, we have everything in my garage to pull out engines and everything.....thats not a problem

how much you think a rebuild will cost me?

i had a local machine shop quote me at ~$500 to hone the block, check the crank, and rebuild the motor with the stock pieces.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
Old 11-15-2004, 09:00 PM   #15
nismo300zx
AF Newbie

Quote:
2 grand should get you a used n/a engine installed, probably cheaper. it might be cheaper to fix the engine you have or it might not. depending on how much is damaged once they break it open. now would be a good time for a TT swap if you wanted.

BTW: my opinion would be to buy yourself a used engine, have someone drop it in for you. then you have an extra engine, when you get some money together, take it to a machine shop and have them rebuild it with performance parts and lower the compression, then slap 2 turbos on it. and then when your ready, you got yourself a new POWERFUL engine.
hey do u have msn? i really want to talk to you.....i have alot of questions....mine is waltercivic93@msn.com....pliz add me, or i add you

or yahoo messenger, mine is walter_3008@yahoo.com

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)