Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > MR2/MR-S
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 01:11 PM   #1
BlitzKeg
AF Regular

Talking gen3 MR-S? is this car really any good?

I don't mean to offend anybody but is the new MR2-Spyder really worth $26,000?

If I was going to spend that much on a MR I'd get a fairly used NSX that is way more potent.
I just think that toyota has lost the MR2 sportscar tradition with the new spyder. Its a convertable roadster with good m.p.g...........
sorry but that just screams bitch car.......can i say that?
I'm not trying to hate on anybody U can make it into a bad ass car, but with enough time and money you can do anything.
Toyota needs to think harder about the next mr2.

I'm just curious to see how many people feel the same way I do?
plz post your thoughts.
BlitzKeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 01:43 PM   #2
TRD2000
AF Enthusiast

Re: gen3 MR-S? is this car really any good?

I think it's a girlie car in comparison to the SW20 turbo however it does go back to the routes of the mr2, the AW11 was more about handling than power, it was tiny and didn't have huge output. I think the MKIII is probably what it should be, but i certainly wouldn't be complaining if they decided to make a MKII successor instead of a MKI rebuild.

just to throw this out there, i sawe something about toyota making a mid engine car with a v10 (to draw on their f1 effort) and AWD... nothing definate, but THAT would probably be more akin to a worked SW20... and look out GTR. Lets not forget that for a brief period the turbo was the fastest jap car, not just the best handling. I know it wouldn't be an MR2 but hey...i want one!
Old 10-14-2004, 04:01 PM   #3
drazhartd
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzKeg
Its a convertable roadster with good m.p.g...........
sorry but that just screams bitch car.......can i say that?

Toyota needs to think harder about the next mr2.

I'm just curious to see how many people feel the same way I do?
plz post your thoughts.
The first thing I thought of the first time I saw the MKIII.... "That's a chick's car."

Despite how the majority of mr-S owners have no idea where the car came from, or what an mr2 is (let's say I honk and wave in my 91 to them, they just freak out and think i'm some weirdo) I've heard they are pretty fun to drive.

It's too bad this mkIII is the last mr2 we will ever see produced.

I agree though, I'm disappointed with the car.

91 MR2
Looking for Sparco steering wheel, or Momo Jet (black) wheel. Email pics, let's make a deal!
drazhartd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 10:41 PM   #4
1ofthesedays
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 1ofthesedays

the mkiii is more about handling and power. it does have a low hp engine but horsepower isnt everything. the mr-s is also a very light vehicle which helps in the handling department. these cars were made to tackle turns not go fast in a straight line so i think it serves its purpose perfectly.

1ofthesedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 06:58 AM   #5
Reed
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Reed

i think im gonna get a mr-s next week. it is a 2002 with 23k miles and they want 20k. i think i can work it down. the only reason im getting it is because i need it for a daily driver and i have to be able to drive every day for work and school and stuff or else i would get a mk2. i hope people dont see me as driving a chicks car. and oh man after i sat in it i needed it.

anyhow does anyone know if i can get a hard top for it cause i kinda hate convertables.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 09:42 AM   #6
BlitzKeg
AF Regular

yea I seen a toyota supercar TRD2000 but Im not sure it's an mr

It's sooooo bad ass, but it's like $100,000 which comes 500hp stock
If anyone wants to check it out click the link
www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7633
Is that it?!?!!?

I think it looks like luficer's supra.
BlitzKeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 12:47 PM   #7
ac427cpe
two wheels

Send a message via AIM to ac427cpe

the mr-s is a great vehicle to use as a platorm, it has the most potential to go fast out of the whole MR2 family of cars. these things go FAST over in japan, but we still haven't gotten over their looks and base wimpiness... oh well, they're done in 2005 so we probably never will.

No more project cars. I wonder how long that will last...
ac427cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 01:10 PM   #8
asidrayne
AF Newbie

The Spyder only needs +15bhp from stock to have the same power to weight ratio as a 2gen turbo.
asidrayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 04:02 PM   #9
MR2Driver
AF Enthusiast

My ideal road car would be a widebody 2ZZ MR-S, with bolt ons, weight reduction, and a balance between power/tires/braking/suspension.
MR2Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 01:30 AM   #10
1ofthesedays
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 1ofthesedays

mine would be a widebody (like the jgtc one...forgot kit manufacturer) mr-s with a built beams 3sge and everything else to compliment it. basically what lachean said but with a 3sge...maybe stroked 3sge =)

1ofthesedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 12:28 AM   #11
RenoSpyder
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to RenoSpyder
I've enjoyed my Spyder with just casual driving. It's a cruise compared to anything else I've had the opportunity to drive. It's class is light-weight, mid-engine. For the price, you will not find anything else like it. The insurance on them is minimal. Since they are so light, it doesn't take much more hp to get them going, if that's your big thing. When I've opened it up, it's been nothing but a blast. 4th gear is a riot. If you ever get on a winding road in 2nd gear, you're in for a treat. It's just a cat on the road. There's a lot you can do to them, but I regret the aftermarket is somewhat limited, but available. You do have the option of dropping in the 2zzf (190bhp) in place of the stock as well as aftermarket turbos. Put the full suspension package on it, and you will be amazed at its cornering capabilities.

It's my daily 60 mile commuter. The gas mileage is unreal. I break 400 miles on a tank a lot at 70+mph on 11-12 gallons.

The top comes down. With that and the windows up, the heater keeps me toasty in the winter. See the summer driving vehicles that are topless, and best of luck in your adventures.
RenoSpyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 12:53 PM   #12
TRD2000
AF Enthusiast

does the 3sge fit normally? got to be a reason for mounting it longditudally in JGTC.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:19 PM   #13
aznxthuggie
AF Enthusiast

it seriously doesn't appeal to me, or anyone i know, i say if they pushed it to 180+hp stock there'd be alot more buyers out there willing to dish out money for that car, but say bye after 05
aznxthuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 06:09 AM   #14
klohiq
AF Enthusiast

I'm not sure if the mkiii will be the last mr2...I know that 2005 will mark the end of the mr2/celica chassis...then again...I wasn't too impressed with either...for new cars they look good...however other than the is300 and 350z/g35 cp there isn't much to look at that I actually like for new cars.

Stock acceleration of the mkiii puts it at about the same pace as an n/a mkii and a supercharged mki I believe.

Reed
TRD makes a hardtop cover for it...looks great...there are a few on cardomain.com with it IIRC.
TRD2000
Lets not forget that for a brief period the turbo was the fastest jap car, not just the best handling.

The turbo mkii was the fastest jap car? When??? Many of the jap supercars (supra, r32gtr, fd3s) kill in the quarter-mile and top speed is definitely below some of the other cars...if you are talking about on american soil...it might have been the fastest in 91/92...then in 93 we had the mkiv supra tt and fd3s...both of which are faster 0-60 and QM.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:24 AM   #15
Reed
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Reed

thanks
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > MR2/MR-S