Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Bronco
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 08:52 AM   #1
bno632
AF Newbie

1996 Bronco slip axle

I have a 1996 full size bronco and there is a "clunking" problem when you leave a stop. I'm told it has to do with the slip axle. What can I do to fix it and is it doing any damage???
bno632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 12:14 PM   #2
Truck
AF Regular

With my experience and 'Clunking' I would check the U-joint first. I've noticed three stages....1) Clunking 2.) Vibrations (Noticable in the side mirrors) 3.) Emergency Flashers. (F.O.R.D. Indeed.)

Hth

My 88 has a slip Drive shaft, but my 87 has a solid shaft, both went out like gangbusters.]
Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 12:55 PM   #3
clintdorey
AF Newbie

clunking

I have that same problem with my 95 full size Bronco. The machanic told me it was the bushings on the radius arms. I had them and the axlejoints replaced and i can still haer it.

???????????
clintdorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 01:02 PM   #4
Tractor 68 Boy
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Tractor 68 Boy Send a message via MSN to Tractor 68 Boy Send a message via Yahoo to Tractor 68 Boy
Re: 1996 Bronco slip axle

U joints here too, at least to start.
1968 Ford Mustang Coupe: 200 I6, 3speed auto(C4), red exterior, red interior. (Future drag race/project car.) (Mods include 632 BBF V8, C6, 10 point roll cage, 5.34 spool rear, tubbed, tube frame, custom interior.)
If you cant beat em, buy one. GIT ER DUN!!!!!!!
Tractor 68 Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 04:06 PM   #5
clintdorey
AF Newbie

Is the u-joint the same as an axle joint?
clintdorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 07:37 PM   #6
Truck
AF Regular

I've never heard of them being referred to as axle-joints. (Which, I would guess would be in the axles-somewhere around the diffs???)

The U-joints are the X-shaped round pieces that connect the output shaft to -driveshaft-to differential. There are 3 in the rear axle of an AT. 2 in the MT. The front shaft has 2 in all cases. (Not a guarantee.) The way to best "check" is to climb underneath and check for play. (Have a bud apply the brake, and put in neutral, if you'd like.)

If you're hearing this as you go down the road in 2wd, no need to check the front shaft.

My '85 BII has radius arm problems, and it drives like a squirrell. (very dodgy in the corners, not so great in straight-line driving.) If you can't keep the thing on the road, it would be those.
Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 08:28 AM   #7
bno632
AF Newbie

I have taken the slip axle apart and packed it with some grease. The clunking on take-off has gone away but after a few months it starts again. I'm looking for long term fix not this bandaid.
bno632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 09:04 PM   #8
Paul Masley
AF Regular

Take a shock bushing, grease it well with lithium and shove it into the shaft that slips into the back of the transfer case. Make sure the bushing fits tight. The clunk is caused by one of Fords Better Ideas. Sealing the tailshaft from the transfer case. The result is no lube to the shaft splines. The shock bushing will soften the blow from the rear axle wrap-up that you are experiencing. When the axle wraps, it pulls the shaft out and upon unwrapping, it slaps back into the housing.

It is a common problem and the repair mentioned is from an old Ford mechanic. It works. I have used it on both, my 85 and 96 F-150, and on the wife's Grand Cherokee.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:19 AM   #9
pkr34gtr
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to pkr34gtr
Re: Re: 1996 Bronco slip axle

I have the same problem on my 1992 full size, i sit a big project to fix, do you need any specialty tools?
pkr34gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 03:21 AM   #10
pkr34gtr
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to pkr34gtr
Re: Re: Re: 1996 Bronco slip axle

I have the same problem on my 1992 full size, i sit a big project to fix, do you need any specialty tools? There are some temporary fixes listed here, are there any more permanent fixes?
pkr34gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Bronco