Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 2002
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 10:31 PM   #1
AF Newbie

Angry catalytic converter

I have a 1976 bmw 2002
And to my knowledge 76 and up cars must have a catalytic converter. But the problem is that I cant find one. Any one know where to purchase one, besides from bmw because there $356. Or anything else to help it pass smog
4727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 06:30 AM   #2
Bunta
AF Regular

Re: catalytic converter

I'm pretty sure 2002's never had them. My advice is learn how 2002's run and tune the thing up right. Buy a tii exhaust manifold, get some NGK spark plugs, make sure the plug wires are stock bosch, make sure the carburettor says 'Weber' on it, get a Pertronix ignition and keep your valves adjusted. Oh yeah, use Kendall 20w-50 oil. 2002's love that stuff.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:35 PM   #3
jobyleary
AF Newbie

You have the last year 2002. It is actually a 1975 (2002 production stopped in Sept 1975), but sold in the US as a 1976. Congrats. They are a blast. In the US, Cat Converters were required on domestic cars from 1975 on. Imports, like your 2002, were exempt until 1978 /79. No 2002 ever had a Cat Converter. Further if you run unleaded gas in a 2002, unless your heads have been converted, you will burn up the valves and seats. You can buy an additive for your gas that will replace the lead. or you can have the valves and seats redone (read as expensive)

As far as emmissions go.... In most every state (except maybe california) your car is over 25 years old and exempt (you may have to register it as a classic, which might "legally" limit when and how often you can drive it, but I have been ignoring that "law" for 15 yrs)

happy motoring!!!
jobyleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 08:40 PM   #4
mols
AF Newbie

Re: catalytic converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobyleary
You have the last year 2002. It is actually a 1975 (2002 production stopped in Sept 1975), but sold in the US as a 1976. Congrats. They are a blast. In the US, Cat Converters were required on domestic cars from 1975 on. Imports, like your 2002, were exempt until 1978 /79. No 2002 ever had a Cat Converter. Further if you run unleaded gas in a 2002, unless your heads have been converted, you will burn up the valves and seats. You can buy an additive for your gas that will replace the lead. or you can have the valves and seats redone (read as expensive)

As far as emmissions go.... In most every state (except maybe california) your car is over 25 years old and exempt (you may have to register it as a classic, which might "legally" limit when and how often you can drive it, but I have been ignoring that "law" for 15 yrs)

happy motoring!!!
Just joined this forum and saw your note. Just bought a 1976 bmw 2002 for my son and helping him restore it. How do you know whether or not the heads have been converted. I wasn't aware of the head burn up problems with unleaded gas. That's all we can buy.

Do you have suggestions for good places to pick up parts?
Thanks for any info!
mols is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 2002