Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 10:26 AM   #16
lkh1026
AF Newbie

Re: Ignition Complaints to CHEVY to get recalls

Just to move this to the top of the list as I noticed another new posting about problems starting with the same symptons!

GM has called me since I sent in a nasty letter as a reply to their Service Survey - I have to call them back, will keep ya'll posted...

Linda
Old 06-22-2004, 12:59 PM   #17
goldilox54
AF Newbie

Unhappy 2001 Impala starting problems

I've been having problems starting my 2001 Impala. When I turn the key, NOTHING happens, not even a "click". However, the radio, power windows, etc. work. The dealer says it's the Pass Lock Sensor, meaning it's not reading my key correctly and the car thinks someone is trying to steal it, so it won't start. If I take the key out and wait a few minutes, it resets itself and the next time I put the key in, it might start. The repair is $340 + tax. I certainly didn't think I would be putting that much money into this car already! In my opinion, when you buy a new car, it should go longer than 3 years without major problems. (or am I asking too much?)
Old 06-22-2004, 02:31 PM   #18
glock19c2004
AF Newbie

Unhappy

Sorry to hear another 01 owner is having troubles. It is a shame that GM cannot make quality cars anymore or at least suck it up and correct the major issues when they are discovered. A GM vehicle should be a safe purchase without any major problems for many years but I guess "Like a Rock" only pertains to the utility trucks. Oh, I had one of those lemons but traded it in on my Impala....The Impala is running well for now though, but probably just jinxed it.

Hope you get yours fixed and have no more problems.

AW
Old 06-22-2004, 04:34 PM   #19
lkh1026
AF Newbie

I talked with Chevy regarding this and again got no where. Told them this issue seems to be fixed, but in my and my husbands opinion, it is running rough since they "fixed it". Of course it will be another $80 or more just to check out the problem....surprise right.

Needless to say, I told her it is a shame that I plan to spend 35-40K or more on a car in the next year and I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt it won't be a GM product. BMW is looking really good.

She said she guessed she would close my complaint as "closed - unsatified" - I told her I suppose so.

Lesson learned - NO GM PRODUCTS
Old 06-22-2004, 08:58 PM   #20
01 impala
AF Newbie

Just towed my 01 into the shop for the same. Batt is good yet will not start.
I have 55K miles and fortunatly an extended warrenty. I will still send a complaint to GM if it turns out to be the ignition.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:38 PM   #21
lkh1026
AF Newbie

Just movin' this topic back up to the top - hopefully if enough of us complain GM might confess that their design lacks something. GM called and closed my repair as "dis-satisfied"
Old 07-15-2004, 01:04 AM   #22
gramsof1
AF Newbie

Re: Quick note to move message to the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkh1026
Nothing new to say other than my car seems to be running fine with the repairs at the moment. I just wanted to input a post to move this message to the top.
This is my first time to this forum and was looking for this type of problem and to see how prevelant it really is.

I truly hope your problerm doesn't do what mine did.

It happened to my 2001 Impala in June - June 20th to be exact. We had been driving the car and took our granddaughter home, shut off the car to get her stuff out, say goodbye, etc. Went to start it and it would not start. It would crank but no go on a start. My husband thought maybe it was flooding so he let it sit for a little while and tried again. It tried to start but wouldn't. After about 20 minutes, we got out the trusty old book and looked up that locked padlock icon that lit up on the dash (our car was built in Canada so we have icons not words). It said something about the "Passlock" System. so we called the 24 hr number listed. He was told to clean off the key, dry it and try again. Nothing. We tried my key and the spare key I carry in my purse. Nothing. They called a tow truck (Now we are talking about 8 PM on a Sunday night). Said it would be there in about 45 minutes. While waiting her continued to clean the key and try every 15 minutes or so. After 40 minutes, the blasted thing started. He turned it around in the driveway. Long story short, we drove it home and it started just fine the next morning and I called Chev early and told them I was bringing it in (we bought the extended warranty). Well, they kept it all day, replaced the BCM. I went and got the car. Next day the padlock showed up again so it went back. This time they got me a rental car that I had for 2 days. They had to download a new program from GM, had to have both our remotes to reprogram them, etc. It was fine. Today, July 14th, I was about 35 miles from home, having dropped some relatives off at a lake cabin. As I was driving, going down a slight hill and around a corner, the thing died. It would not start again no matter what I did. I hiked the 2 1/2 blocks back to the cabin so someone there could give me a ride to the ranger station to use the pay phone. No cell service here. Called my husband at work, he called Chev. They told him to have me sit and wait for 30 minutes and then put the key in and let it sit there for a couple of minutes and then start it. Then it would go. Well, I told him in no uncertain terms that I refused to drive it those 35 miles back to town, mainly because there was no guarantee that it just wouldn't die again and most the of the way back it the speed limit is 55 mph. Can you imagine the stopping, sterring problems I would have if it died while I was going 55 mph? So he called a tow truck, the bill being sent to Chev dealer. I told him I was sick of this car doing this and I needed a car. So they made arrangements for a nice car for me. I'm now driving a 2004 Cadillac DeVille. Very nice. Of course the service department was closed by the time we actually got there in the tow truck so they will have to wait till morning for my blistering call to them.
Technically this is my 3rd visit for this problem. I'm smelling lemons..
I'll let ya all know what happens. Plus we leave on a driving vacation on Saturday. Hmm, I may be driving a Cadillac.

It sounds like there are quite a few folks here with this problem. I will call the 800 number tomorrow too and report this problem.

MJ
Old 07-15-2004, 01:13 AM   #23
gramsof1
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Ignition Complaints to CHEVY to get recalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizjet604
I have also had 3 seperate instances in which the car would not do anything. I thought it might be some safety switch out of adjustment but from what I am reading here it is probably the passlock system. I haven't had any problems lately. All in all the car has been to the dealer for one thing or another (not routine maint.) 12x since new. Radio noise, fogging windshield, 2 dead batteries, transmission, warped discs, intermediate steering shaft, imsf repack, a water pump..... all before 50k!!!! I may be crazy but I still like the ride and the looks of the car.

Hey, I had warped discs too. We got our 2001 Impala with 15,000 miles on it and we have loved it - mostly. I took it in to have the brakes checked after we had it for about a week or two. Driving along at 55 and touching down on the brakes I had a severe wobble. The tech came out and told me I probably had a dog doing his thing on the wheel for a long time. Well, I guess you know I told him I only had the car a couple of weeks and I don't have a dog. They fixed it with new discs.
I was on a first name basis with the "service writer" as they are called now. I can't remember what all it was in for in the first year but it was a lot. I do still love the car though, but this ignition "Passlock" problem it's having now is making me crazy!

MJ
Old 07-15-2004, 01:58 PM   #24
John222
AF Newbie

Thought everyone would like to hear what I have been told. Had a problem starting my 2000 Impala about two months ago. Got a new battery and still would not start. Had it towed to my mechanic and nothing was found wrong. Finally started working. Well last weekend the same thing started happening. The battery is fine and the car acts like it thinks I am trying to steal it and cuts the whole elcetrical system off. Called GM because of the items in this forum and have been told something totally different than anything here.

The rep asked if I lived in a city which had a major AF Base near it. Turns out about two months ago lots of GM products had trouble starting but only in cities near a major AF Base. Starting las weekend the problem again came up and the dealers are so busy, 4 in my town that it will be 1 1/2 weeks after the problem before I can get the car in to be checked. Thats even with the help of the rep setting the appointment. Have checked around town and turns out that the rumor is going around that Ford products are also having this problem. Seems to be those cars with keyless fobs.

Anyway the rep is saying that GM now thinks there is some sort of jamming device being used which is frying the security system. Would be interested to find out if the rest of you live in a city near an AF Base?
Old 07-26-2004, 02:03 PM   #25
autoforum
AF Newbie

I haven't had any problems lately but I'm expecting them after reading all these and others.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:53 PM   #26
Impalafreek101
AF Newbie

I had this problem with my car to, I turn the key lights come on radio and everything but wont start. I took it back to the dealer I bought it from which wasnt gm certified, they looked at it and told me that it was the keyless entry so they changed the way it was wired to the car, originally it was wired to the lights so only the lights would blink.

I got it back worked fine about a week and it did it again, they said it was keyless entry again and they rewired it this time to the horn so it would honk everytime. Well that didnt work either.

Took it back again, this time they said they had someone come look at it that was an expert and had it for like 2 days and they couldnt find the problem, they gave it back to me and told me it was the keyless entry and that I should take it off.

Well after asking about taking it off they said they would charge labor to take it off, and give me whats left over for the refund which was to be 15 bucks, I said screw that im keeping it for 15 bucks!

Well problem went away for awhile then happened, so I took it into the the dealership a chevy dealer. Originally took it to fix the clunking noise heard when turning corners, I forget what it was some steering shaft or something, and had em look at the ignition problem.

They looked at the ignition problem and told me it was the battery because the battery wasnt passing its load test and replaced it. And also while it was there fixed a recall on a fuel return line or something.

And to this day havent had a problem *knock on wood* it has been about 3 months or so.

Oh it was a 2001 Impala
Old 08-08-2004, 12:32 PM   #27
bermis519
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to bermis519 Send a message via MSN to bermis519 Send a message via Yahoo to bermis519

Is there an upgrade for the ignitions, or some other ignition system that will work in it? Like touch two wires...hehe.....
Old 08-12-2004, 07:43 PM   #28
lkh1026
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Ignition Complaints to CHEVY to get recalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by John222

Anyway the rep is saying that GM now thinks there is some sort of jamming device being used which is frying the security system. Would be interested to find out if the rest of you live in a city near an AF Base?
I don't live too close to an AF base - maybe 90 miles or so....

My newest problem is the drivers side window fell into the door (and I don't use it much) and cost $275.00 to have repaired.

Have I mentioned how much I love this car???? I absolutely hate it and can't wait to pay it off and get rid of it!
Old 08-12-2004, 07:44 PM   #29
lkh1026
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01 impala
Just towed my 01 into the shop for the same. Batt is good yet will not start.
I have 55K miles and fortunatly an extended warrenty. I will still send a complaint to GM if it turns out to be the ignition.
What did your problem end up being??
Old 08-12-2004, 07:48 PM   #30
lkh1026
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Quick note to move message to the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsof1
This is my first time to this forum and was looking for this type of problem and to see how prevelant it really is.

I truly hope your problerm doesn't do what mine did.
Technically this is my 3rd visit for this problem. I'm smelling lemons..
I'll let ya all know what happens. Plus we leave on a driving vacation on Saturday. Hmm, I may be driving a Cadillac.

It sounds like there are quite a few folks here with this problem. I will call the 800 number tomorrow too and report this problem.

MJ
What did they find on your repairs??