Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: 300ZX vs Supra MK IV Reliability
300ZX (Z32) 6 50.00%
Supra (Mk IV) 6 50.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 07:04 PM   #1
bloon
AF Newbie

Post 300ZX vs Supra MkIV

I am looking to buy a sports car for my wife and am trying to decide between the 300zx and the Supra. I am looking at around the 1990 - 1996 models. I am not interested in which one is the fastest or has the best acceleration. I am more concerned with which one is the more reliable and cheaper to maintain. Also would the N/A be preferable to the Turbo and is auto or manual is best?
bloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 07:23 PM   #2
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
the MkIV supra without a doubt, its six speed is amond the best and the engine is among the strongest built - it can take over 900Hp on stock internals

plus is more exclusive, and IMO it looks better

and get the turbo for sure

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 07:36 PM   #3
BP2K2Max
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to BP2K2Max
Re: 300ZX vs Supra MkIV

a nissan or a toyota is pretty win-win. if you get the nissan though get a manual. nissan auto tranny's are kinda crappy. nissan is kinda expensive to have maintenance done. especially if they charge $75/hour like my nissan place. i don't know much about inline 6's so i'd go with the nissan. i'm on my 5th nissan car and all have reached well over 100K with no major work, except for my new maxima. the most money i had to sink into my car was on my 95 maxima when i had to have the 1-3-5 gears and synchros replaced in my tranny cuz the guy who owned it before me learned 5 speed on the car. it cost me 1300 bucks and over half of it was labor. if you're mechanically inclined though that shouldn't be a big deal.

toyota's are also known for their reliablility.
BP2K2Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 08:12 PM   #4
ricergribbs
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ricergribbs
supra all the way, the stock internals/transmission can hold massive amounts of hp so you know it wont crap out on you during every day driving. also, i would recommend getting the automatic transmission as the supras have one of the best available and its less of a hassle to drive. i like manuals, but only in the "weekend" car.

also, get a '93+ model just for the looks.
ricergribbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 09:46 PM   #5
DinanM3_S2
Scuderia Kimi

The Supra is better looking in my opinion, and is much more reliable. Manual vs. Auto should really be up to your wife, i suggest auto if she'll be in alot of traffic. The Supra will also be more expensive, they've been pretty popular and have high resale value, unlike the 300zx.
DinanM3_S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 10:05 PM   #6
nacho_nissan
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to nacho_nissan Send a message via MSN to nacho_nissan Send a message via Yahoo to nacho_nissan

lol, trust me, no way in hell a supra can handle 900hp in stock internals...it can surely handle 600hp, and 700hp not for long, but 900hp???????WTF is wrong with you! I'd pick the nissan 300z just because i love nissan, but they are both about the same if you compare the same year and all. actually i was reading that in the early 90's the 300zx owned the supra in most aspects.
nacho_nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 10:15 PM   #7
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakonaleash1187 Send a message via MSN to freakonaleash1187

yes, the supra can hold a lot of hp, but so can the vg30de (300zx engine). but it looks like the thread starter doesnt need a car for power. and since nissan and toyota are reliable, it is more of what do you like better as in looks and amneities. i would go with the 300zx just cuz i like them much more than a supra (i am getting a 300zx).

ZedEx Crew Member #2
freakonaleash1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 10:21 PM   #8
nacho_nissan
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to nacho_nissan Send a message via MSN to nacho_nissan Send a message via Yahoo to nacho_nissan
Re: Re: 300ZX vs Supra MkIV

for looks, the 300zx looks better!
Old 03-09-2004, 12:46 AM   #9
youngvr4
STREET RACING GURU

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacho_nissan
lol, trust me, no way in hell a supra can handle 900hp in stock internals...it can surely handle 600hp, and 700hp not for long, but 900hp???????WTF is wrong with you! I'd pick the nissan 300z just because i love nissan, but they are both about the same if you compare the same year and all. actually i was reading that in the early 90's the 300zx owned the supra in most aspects.
sorry man but your wrong, i spoke to the guy over the internet who holds the record 949hp on stock internals, his car is silver. your right most supra's don't do that but its possible cause he did it.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:44 AM   #10
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Quote:
WTF is wrong with me??? You are calling me out? Are you kidding me?

how about YOU do some research before opening your mouth and swearing at me

here is the proof:

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=391315

here are some running ~850 on stock bottom (keep in mind that those are at the wheels - which translates at well over 900 at the crank)
http://www.400gt.com/articles/misc/SupraDyno.htm

SCC had an article on another supra running well over 900 on stock bottom, plus there was one actually on sale on ebay

Is that enough proof for you?

(\__/)
Old 03-09-2004, 03:38 AM   #11
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Re: Re: Re: 300ZX vs Supra MkIV

The Supra is buy far and away the most reliable and easy to repair car.

Even the most devoted 300zx owner, if thier honest, will admit that they are not the most reliable of cars once they start to age a little, and they are known as one of the worst cars to try and work one. Parts are expensive, and often hard to source, (even here in NZ, the home of the Jap import spots car) and the cars design makes them very time consuming to work on, everything is tucked up behind something else, and is always very hard to get to. That goes for anything in the interior as well as the engine. The Auto boxs are also very prone to failure, and again very expensive to fix.

The Supra has easily the strongest gearbox, auto or manual, and its engine as stated above is almost indestructable. Its also the easiest to fix, and get access to, and parts are more readily avliable.

The Nissan is possibly the better speced, and more advanced car, (at least it is in Japan, and here in NZ, I have no idea about the US market), but it comes at the cost of the issues stated above.
Its certianly the more exotic of the two.

But if reliablity and ease of use are more important and how fast it is, and how many buttons it has, then a N/A Auto Supra is deffintly the better car.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:03 PM   #12
nacho_nissan
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: 300ZX vs Supra MkIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino
WTF is wrong with me??? You are calling me out? Are you kidding me?

how about YOU do some research before opening your mouth and swearing at me

here is the proof:

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=391315

here are some running ~850 on stock bottom (keep in mind that those are at the wheels - which translates at well over 900 at the crank)
http://www.400gt.com/articles/misc/SupraDyno.htm

SCC had an article on another supra running well over 900 on stock bottom, plus there was one actually on sale on ebay

Is that enough proof for you?
of course it can handle 900hp in stock internals! but im talkin about will it really hold that much after redlining it a few times, or racing it often. im sure alot of cars can hold 900hp, but will they really hold it for a while after abusing it?? that was my first point, sorry for not being clear but i would like to hear of someone runnin a 1000hp supra on stock internals? i dont think so...
Old 03-10-2004, 07:55 PM   #13
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Re: Re: Re: Re: 300ZX vs Supra MkIV

Quote:
lol, trust me, no way in hell a supra can handle 900hp in stock internals...it can surely handle 600hp, and 700hp not for long, but 900hp???????WTF is wrong with you!

Quote:
of course it can handle 900hp in stock internals!

No comment.

(\__/)
Old 03-10-2004, 08:53 PM   #14
nacho_nissan
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 300ZX vs Supra MkIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino
No comment.
did you even read the whole post? i bet i can put 400hp on my little GA16DE, it will hold them for a bit, but after a bit of revvin itll blow up!*kaboom* am i clear now!
Old 03-10-2004, 09:01 PM   #15
AcesHigh
Prelude Guy

Send a message via AIM to AcesHigh

Hey, I don't think bloon cares about horsepower anyways.

If you truly only care about reliability, I would say go with an N/A of the Supra. Turbocharged vehicles require more maintenance, and if you don't give it the attention it needs, it will let you know by putting a hole through your wallet.

1993 Mazda Rx-7 Touring
Ricer Extraordinaire
AcesHigh is offline   Reply With Quote