Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > XLR and XLR-V
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
View Poll Results: XLR worth its $70,000 Price Tag?
I'll pay anything to get the XLR 7 25.00%
Hell Not worth it 7 25.00%
hell yes includes all positive answers 3 10.71%
hell no includes all negative answers 1 3.57%
I don't give a fuck about the price I want this car 5 17.86%
I don't Give a fuck about the price, I hate this car 1 3.57%
Neutral 0 0%
Options 1, 3 and 5 1 3.57%
Options 2, 4, and 6 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 03:44 PM   #46
gonenuts15792
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to gonenuts15792 Send a message via Yahoo to gonenuts15792
Re: XLR worth the $70,000 Price Tag?

Well, Now, I am, I live in the U.S. and that is what I was thinking, I have yet to see half of those here, and most of them are a ripoff compared to the SUVs that are sold here. I'm sorry for not mentioning that, LOSER.

Old 08-13-2004, 05:07 AM   #47
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster

The Nissan Patrol (Or Safari, as the JDM version is known) is a Civillian vehicle, it's what it gets used for 90% of the time (Ferrying around Rich kids in Auckland and Sydney normally), but the UN use them a lot for desert work.

The Toyota Hilux is similar to a Tacoma.

The Pathfinder is built around the chassis of a Datsun ute, it can get around many a tough Terrain. Though I'd prefer the US-only XTerra...

The Towing differences are minimal- I know for Certain that I'll never need to tow anything that weighs 8100 Lbs, yet alone 7100.

From what I've seen Chrysler are one of the few companies who get Turbocharging right- A teardown of the SRT-4's engine block showed that the Internals of the engine are capable of at least 500 bhp (meaning at the stock hp rating, the engine will be VERY reliable) - this test was done by Sport Compact Car, btw. While some Chryslers have issues with blowing headgaskets and slightly weaker than average transmissions, they are generally reliable cars.

Here's a question for you-
What cars do GM have in the same class that are better than:
a 300C (The STS isn't out yet and is largely untested)
the Dodge Ram SRT-10? (Don't say Silverado SS, because it's a joke of a truck)
the Grand Cherokee (as an Offroader, not a Cushy mumsy wagon)
a Voyager/Caravan?
an SRT-4?
a Durango? (Trailblazer also being something of a joke)

I could go on, but I'll leave you to this...

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Old 08-24-2004, 11:53 AM   #48
ThatRoundHeadedKid
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: XLR worth the $70,000 Price Tag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimster
a Voyager/Caravan?
an SRT-4?
I wasnt asked the question but I feel like answering it. BTW my answers are just guesses. You can fill me in later jimster.

better than 300C: uhm, maybe the late Oldsmobile Aurora; Cadillac's CTS; Pontiac Bonneville GXP; Saab's 95 Aero; Maybe the Buick Park Avenue, LeSabre and possibly the new LaCrosse (luxury wise)

Better than Dodge Ram SRT-10: can't find any

Better than Jeep's Grand Cherokee in Offroading(although I was unaware they were GM built, and I thought they were DaimlerChrylser built): Hummer H1; Maybe Chevy's Silverado 2500 (i've seen some do decently on offroading)

Better than a Voyager/Caravan: Chrylser's Town and Country

Better than Dodge's SRT4: Pontiac GTO; Saab 93 Aero

Dodge Durango: in terms of what?

Again these are just guesses. Guesses of possibly some comparable cars.
Ride #1: 1994 Mercedes-Benz W124 E320 Coupe (My first car/love)
Ride #2: 1975 Mercedes-Benz W116 280S (The restoration/hobby/project car)

~Chris~
My Diecast Collection!
Old 10-13-2004, 07:17 PM   #49
HandofDoom
AF Regular

Quote: <HR SIZE=1>Originally Posted by Jimster
a Voyager/Caravan?
an SRT-4?
<HR SIZE=1>

Okay...

300C,nice car but made of very cheap materials-Cadillac STS(its out now),Aurora,Bonneville,Park Ave,Impala,just to name a few.

Dodge Ram,its a pretty boys truck-GMC line of pickups

Grand Cherokee is a POS.My buddy has a 2004 and its falling apart,he lives on a back road and it can't even handle that,yet alone off-roading-GMC Envoy,Chevy Trailblazer,Hummer H1 and H2 just to name a few

Voayger/Caravan,again,crap.They go through transmissions more than I go through oil changes-Montana,Venture

SRT-4,fast but its still a Neon-Saturn Ion Red Line

Durango,a Cherokee with a different badge,also,tranny eaters-Envoy,Trailblazer,SRX,Escalade,Bravada,need I go on?

Just because Chryler is owned by Benz doesnt mean there any better.They go through trannys like crazy,and they got problems left and right.My brother works at a very large Chrysler dealership,according to him,the 300's are in all the time for AC compressors and even a few for trannys already,they were talked up like they were the shit of the town.There not,trust me.They have not only the 300,but every other Chryler in constantly(including Doge,Jeep and Plymouth)They have one of the biggest garages Ive seen at a dealer.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:38 PM   #50
HandofDoom
AF Regular

Orginally posted by Jimster:

The Towing differences are minimal- I know for Certain that I'll never need to tow anything that weighs 8100 Lbs, yet alone 7100.

But the guy whose loaded and has a nice boat might need to tow that much,or other nice equipment.

Chrysler has NEVER been a step ahead of GM or to sadly say even Ford.They never have been,they arent now,and they never will be.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:43 PM   #51
FR33WAY
AF Newbie

The XLR is worth about $40,000. It DOES look awesome i know, but have driven it, and the SC430 right after one another and the SC430 has chassis flex like a bitch and seems like a female accessory to me. Sorry Corvette Conv. is a great alternative.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:05 PM   #52
HandofDoom
AF Regular

Ive driven it also,one of the best performing cars out there,no doubt about it.Well worth its price.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:39 PM   #53
gonenuts15792
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to gonenuts15792 Send a message via Yahoo to gonenuts15792

Quote:
a Voyager/Caravan?
an SRT-4?

I could go on, but I'll leave you to this...

300C - Park Avenue, CTS, STS, Lacrosse, Aurora, Deville.

Dodge Ram SRT-10 - First I feel that this is a stupid idea, trucks are for work not for play. This truck has no value in a the work place. This is the best performance truck right now though. Wait till the next generation Silverado SS comes out or the Escalade EXT V.

Grand Cherokee - H3, Blazer, Envoy, Tahoe Z71.

Caravan - Terraza, Uplander, Montana SV6

Durango - Ranier, Tahoe, Envoy, Suburban (Durango considered in between mid size and full size)

Old 10-18-2004, 06:09 AM   #54
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster

What? If you're going to tell me that an Envoy or whatever is going to be better off road than a company made by a dedicated off-road manufacturer, then I'm sorry, but you're out of your mind, if you even knew HALF of what Jeep put into the Grand Cherokee to make it the off roader that it is, you wouldn't be mouthing off about it.

Secondly, on the SRT-4, it's barely a Neon, try and find Mechanical bits on a bog standard Neon and an SRT4 that are the same, there are very few, if any.
Secondly Sport Compact Car magazine tore down an SRT-4's engine, they were very impressed with just how strong it was. I doubt the Saturn'd be half as reliable at higher levels of power.

Thirdly, the Impala or Park Avenue as an Alternative to a 300C? Sorry, they're big Front Wheel Drive boats, while the 300C is a Rear wheel drive boat, guess which one is going to handle better? You can also get a Hemi V8 in them.

And as for the Ram, what the hell is a pretty boys truck supposed to mean?? That's just a silly opinion, almost like you're TRYING to find a reason to dislike the Ram.

Jeesh.

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Old 10-18-2004, 01:47 PM   #55
gonenuts15792
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
What? If you're going to tell me that an Envoy or whatever is going to be better off road than a company made by a dedicated off-road manufacturer, then I'm sorry, but you're out of your mind, if you even knew HALF of what Jeep put into the Grand Cherokee to make it the off roader that it is, you wouldn't be mouthing off about it.
I know that an Envoy doesn't fall apart after a few years like all Chrysler products seem to do, or shake you to death with engine vibration. I also know that the Envoy is very capable off road, granted its not the best to go rock climbing with. I live in an area that is covered with snow for 7 months out of the year, the rest of the time its muddy and swampy, and except for main roads, most are washed out or sand, and the Envoy doesn't have a problem going through the snow, the mud, or the sand.

Quote:
Secondly, on the SRT-4, it's barely a Neon, try and find Mechanical bits on a bog standard Neon and an SRT4 that are the same, there are very few, if any.
Secondly Sport Compact Car magazine tore down an SRT-4's engine, they were very impressed with just how strong it was. I doubt the Saturn'd be half as reliable at higher levels of power.
So your saying Honda Engines are unreliable, which is in some Saturns? The Ecotecs are very strong engines also. The Ecotec has been able to produce 250 HP reliable with nitrous, and with a few modifications can make roughly 800 HP. So don't tell me GM doesn't make strong engines.

Quote:
Thirdly, the Impala or Park Avenue as an Alternative to a 300C? Sorry, they're big Front Wheel Drive boats, while the 300C is a Rear wheel drive boat, guess which one is going to handle better? You can also get a Hemi V8 in them.
The Impala and Monte Carlo will be making a return to RWD, either in 2006 or 2007. The Engine will most likely be the 6.0L Vortec V8 Until then no, your right, the Impala and Park Avenue aren't in the same class as the HEMI 300C. But the Park Avenue Ultra even though its FWD handles damn well and so does the Impala SS. But what about the Cadillac CTS V or the STS? The STS blows the 300C right out of the water. Oh and don't forget the upcoming Buick V8 RWD replacement for the Park Avenue that is based off of the Velite concept. And I know they aren't here yet, but they are coming for sure.

Quote:
And as for the Ram, what the hell is a pretty boys truck supposed to mean?? That's just a silly opinion, almost like you're TRYING to find a reason to dislike the Ram.
Hmm, I don't remember saying its a pretty boy truck. Did I? You know I don't think I did. But now that you mention it.

Quote:
Jeesh.
Yeah, Jeesh is right.

Old 10-18-2004, 06:19 PM   #56
gonenuts15792
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofDoom
Orginally posted by Jimster:

But the guy whose loaded and has a nice boat might need to tow that much,or other nice equipment.
I need to tow at least 8100 LBS (40 Foot Camper) and the Suburban does that nicely. It is also able to carry a lot of cargo.

Old 12-01-2004, 11:53 PM   #57
gonenuts15792
AF Enthusiast

Jimster, I'm patiently waiting for your reply.

Old 12-04-2004, 12:43 PM   #58
HandofDoom
AF Regular

Posted by Jimster - 10-18-2004 at 07:09 AMWhat? If you're going to tell me that an Envoy or whatever is going to be better off road than a company made by a dedicated off-road manufacturer, then I'm sorry, but you're out of your mind, if you even knew HALF of what Jeep put into the Grand Cherokee to make it the off roader that it is, you wouldn't be mouthing off about it.

Jeesh.

I know what Jeeps putting into there vehicles.Yea there decent off-roaders.Until something breaks,which isn't too long after its new.Jim,they have great ideas for their products,don't get me wrong,but the building materials there using just downright suck.They have a lot of problems from the time there bought if you did't know that.Envoys are rated very reliable.There much more reliable then a Jeep.

About the SRT-4,it is still a Neon.No matter what you do it will always be a Neon.Neons are junk.The only main things different on them are the engines and suspensions.Good stuff right there.But everything else is basically the same.The rest of the car is the same.Meaning Build quality and materials suck.The first bumb you hit with that thing something is going pop loose and is going to result in the cars first rattle.And what fun is there in driving a car that sounds like a babys rattle on the inside.I have a buddy that bought his 04 brand new.I bust his balls all the time because it sounds like its literally falling apart on the inside.Not to mention the exausts sounds like a weedwacker.

Yea Id definatly say that the Impala and Park Avenue are indeed an alternative.And you know Im going back to build qualitys on this.They don't compare.Ive driven all of them.The 300C has build qualitys similar to that of a Pontiac Grand Am.Which are good for a Grand Am but suck ass for a 300.Park Ave's and Impalas are much better built than the 300.The leather seats in the 300C was what I hated most.I thought I was sitting on cinder blocks.And everything didn't seem to fit together well.There was quite a bit a road and wind noise also,which I really did not expect.But I will admit that Chrylers starting to move up there.Next to Murcurys and Buicks.Oh and the best American alternative to the 300C?definatly and with ease,the new STS.They don't even compare.The STS is unbelievable.One more thing,what old man do you know buys a car to race it(which is the main purchasers of the 300C)?The Hemi is a waste in that car.

Yea,the Ram is a pretty boys truck.The SRT-10(which is also a waste) and the Rumble Bee(which isnt even fast at all) are pretty boy trucks.And even just the 1500s people to use to work with.And they all some with the 20 inch chrome wheels.Please,tell me there not pretty boy mobiles.Pick-ups are meant for work.

Fuck the fast and the furious,
Ride slow and luxurious

Old 12-06-2004, 07:07 PM   #59
gonenuts15792
AF Enthusiast

Jimster I'm getting impatient.

Old 12-09-2004, 06:34 PM   #60
HandofDoom
AF Regular

Oh no...

How did this go from a XLR discussion to a dicussion on Chryslers...
The only Chrylser worth buying is the Viper,that is if you have the 85 grand for it,but yet,you Chrysler boys will say its well worth it.The XLR is worlds better of a vehicle.And you can't say its better because its faster either because you can't use its speed in most countries.

Fuck the fast and the furious,
Ride slow and luxurious

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > XLR and XLR-V