Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 07:21 PM   #1
blklink
AF Newbie

PCM fuse blown

Alright here once again.... After everything that I have done to this car and fixed and replaced I yet have another problem.... Thanks for everybodys help in the past... Alright here it goes. Still I have my 2000 Lincoln LS V6 216,000 miles. Yesterday March 28 2010 the car fine no problems what so ever. Today March 29th 2010 it was raining here in Lumberton NC. I got up this morning to go to work the car started fine had to stop by the Electric place before I got there which is 4 1/2 miles form my house The ABS light came on and the trac light... Well left the light place and drove on to work 45 minutes away. Which it drove as normal nothing wrong. Went to work got off drove to my mothers house which is 7 miles from my job. Cut the car off got out walked in stayed for a minute or 2 and was getting back in the car. Just so happens I try to start the car and nothing.... Checked the fuse box UNDER THE HOOD STANDING IN FRONT ITS CLOSE TO YOU ON THE LEFT #14 was blown (ABS) and #18 (PCM) I got another one put it in and try to start the car and yep it blew right then. Now my question is has anybody ever experienced this? Or can anyone give some helpful tips.? Im thinking a bad connection with the fuse box or bad ground that would cause that to do it... Would that keep my car from starting period? Is there something that I can do someone please help
blklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: PCM fuse blown

Yeah, if the PCM fuse blows that will keep the car from starting. Since the fuse is blowing you have something in that circuit that is drawing too much connection and it's not likely a loose or dirty connection or ground. You'll need a wiring diagram for that circuit, then start tracing things down one at a time. According to the service manual that fuse is for the PCM power relay, COPS & Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S)
relay. By COPS I believe they mean the Coil on Plug System.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
blklink
AF Newbie

OK now how would I go about doing this? You have helped me in the past with the DCCV and the car stalling and then I found out that it was the Jet Pump....
Any info would be greatly helpful right now
Old 03-29-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
blklink
AF Newbie

***UPDATE***
Well now as far as the fuse is concerned its not blown thats the way that it looks... Sorry.. But the car still will not turn over... Now Im guessing starter
Old 03-29-2010, 08:53 PM   #5
blklink
AF Newbie

Alright now I highly doubt its the starter because the led light on the dash is blinking rapidly when I turn the key to on position or try to start it. I turn the key completely off it quits. Any help on that...
Old 03-29-2010, 10:10 PM   #6
joegr
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklink View Post
Alright now I highly doubt its the starter because the led light on the dash is blinking rapidly when I turn the key to on position or try to start it. I turn the key completely off it quits. Any help on that...
Since you had the ABS problem first, I suggest that you check your battery and alternator.
joegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:56 PM   #7
blklink
AF Newbie

Battery is new and the alternator is new the alternator wouldnt have anything to do with the anti theft system kicking on would it? I could see the battery.... But the battery is new and it does have charge on it.
I know that some people know how to reset the anti theft system on it. I been trying to find it but havent had any luck so far. I know that my grand am I use to have did the same exact thing. I could turn the key on till it quit blinking repeat that same procedure 3 times and it would start up then and it was good to go...
But now I tried with the Lincoln I let it sit for a little while until the light went off and quit blinking and tried to start it hmmmm no luck... I called a locksmith to see if he could do it hes pretty good with cars...
Does anyone know what I could do before I start paying him out my ears and down to my knee in body parts... ARM and a LEG prices for a Lincoln LS... HELP!!!
Old 03-30-2010, 06:40 AM   #8
shorod
SHO No Mo

The alternator directly wouldn't cause the no start, but if it was not charging and allows the battery to not get a full charge it could. The electrical systems in the LS are very sensitive to battery health.

The rapidly flashing "Theft/Security" indicator suggests an issue with the PATS system. If you have another programmed key, try it. If you don't, double check all your fuses under the hood and in the spare tire well to make sure there isn't another one blown somewhere.

As for tracing down circuits from the wiring diagram, that's not something for the timid and does require some understanding of electrical systems and proper use of a DMM. If it's something you're wanting to try I can e-mail you a PDF of the wiring diagram for that circuit but it will probably be a day or two before I have a chance to save it off. Likewise with a diagram for the PATS system.

-Rod
Old 03-30-2010, 06:58 AM   #9
blklink
AF Newbie

If I tried charging the battery up do you think it would work? I know the battery is new I just bought it a month ago or less. Everything in the car still works radio, seats windows , locks everything its just that security light is blinking when I turn the key on. What possibilities do I have to fix this problem?
Old 03-30-2010, 07:02 AM   #10
blklink
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
The alternator directly wouldn't cause the no start, but if it was not charging and allows the battery to not get a full charge it could. The electrical systems in the LS are very sensitive to battery health.

The rapidly flashing "Theft/Security" indicator suggests an issue with the PATS system. If you have another programmed key, try it. If you don't, double check all your fuses under the hood and in the spare tire well to make sure there isn't another one blown somewhere.

As for tracing down circuits from the wiring diagram, that's not something for the timid and does require some understanding of electrical systems and proper use of a DMM. If it's something you're wanting to try I can e-mail you a PDF of the wiring diagram for that circuit but it will probably be a day or two before I have a chance to save it off. Likewise with a diagram for the PATS system.

-Rod
Ok that will work. I need some know how on this car. Looks like I need higher paying job to afford this car. One thing goes wrong then everything wants to go wrong with it.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:26 PM   #11
shorod
SHO No Mo

So do you have another programmed key that you can try?

-Rod
Old 03-30-2010, 02:03 PM   #12
blklink
AF Newbie

No all I have is that one key would I have to buy another one get it cut and programmed again or how would I go about doing that key?
Old 03-30-2010, 05:51 PM   #13
blklink
AF Newbie

Alright Rod I had I guy (locksmith) come out and check the ignition said it was good. So he thought that the key had lost its signal. Well he had akey cut and set for the ignition. Didn't work. He said something about meybe it might be the Pick Up Coil because everything seems to be working fine. So what happens now.? Could you send me that diagram you said that you to see what's going on with this car. xxxxxxx@yyyyyy.com thanks again for ur help.

Last edited by shorod; 03-30-2010 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Remove e-mail address.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:32 PM   #14
blklink
AF Newbie

Alright Locksmith says he is coming to the house in the morning he has a buddy that owns a mechanic shop and the only car he seems to be working on lately is a LINCOLN LS ugh..... He said that he talked to his friend at the shop and he said it also sounds like the same thing the pick up coil..... Any help before he gets to the house in the morning? Where I dont have to pay him alot of money?
Old 03-30-2010, 09:24 PM   #15
shorod
SHO No Mo

Hopefully he brings a scan tool that can access the security system. There should be a diagnostic code for why the light flashes during a start attempt. Let us know what they find and if you still need the wiring diagram.

-Rod

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ