Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina APV
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 11:53 AM   #16
Scottls
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Scottls
Re: New APVer in it for the long haul...

BTW LMP, I had it up on jack-stands to check the back brakes and the air-shocks, and the boots are definitely bad. I just need to scrape together more funds before I can replace them. Thanks for the advice though.
Scottls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #17
Jrs3800
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottls View Post
Actually I am kinda amazed to find out my APV weighs over 2.5 tons with how easily this little 3.1 V6 pushes it around. Granted it's only a 3 speed and not the best on gas but I've known smaller mini-vans do much worse.

It also doesn't drive like a van. It's much more agile than than I expected. It doesn't feel top heavy like a sharp turn might flip it over real easily.

I'm just surprised I never gave these things much notice before I owned one other than how they look like a shuttle craft off Star Trek, which is kinda funny. I didn't even know their bodies were plastic and fiberglass and not sheet-metal like nearly everything else. (except Saturns)
The weight is more like 3700 Lbs dry... Fill it to the gills with fuel you are getting near 4000, add a couple of passengers and you are easily pushing 4300-4400... They are not at all light but are 500-600 Lbs lighter than the newer generation U bodies... The old 3.1 you have makes 120 Hp, and I think 170 Ft Lbs... But it makes all of its torque at 2000 Rpms iirc... So for a 3.1 its got some low end grunt and will move the van 70-80 Mph no problem.. And you are right they are composite and fiberglass and still manage to weigh 3700-3800 Lbs dry.. Remove the panels and you'll see a full steel skeleton under them..

These vans were conceived in 1986, brought to the market in late 89 iirc... And were way ahead of their time... In some cases I think they are still ahead of their time...
Jrs3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:33 AM   #18
jarl
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
..If it happens not to work , take notice I had to do a cleanup job of the internals of the cruise control actuator last summer...just a little patience needed to return it to full operation. Ask if needed.
A quick check I would do before anything else: check the 15A fuse on the "convenience center" (which is exactly the opposite of what it's name may suggest). That fuse was the one preventing my CC from working, and had some other unwanted consequences.

Yolanda is in very nice shape, in particular the interior. Best luck with it

BTW: If you want to know which options your car had originally (i.e. remote locks), this worked for me: http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
Old 06-14-2010, 11:42 AM   #19
Scottls
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Scottls

OK, after I installed the steering column, I was hoping a different cluster switch (the original one was broken) would again restore the cruise control. Unfortunately that's not the case. I checked ALL the fuses and even temporarily put the 20 AMP fuse back in for the electronic level control, but it still isn't working.

Any suggestions, and should I start a new thread for this topic?
Scottls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:25 AM   #20
jarl
AF Newbie

I would start a separate thread for the cruise control problem.
You would benefit a lot from a OBD 1.5 interface... there a re several things that can prevent the cruise control from engaging, and many of thse can be easily seen using such interface. I built mine for less than $20.

In the meantime: is the TCC working? That may be a good way to steer your quest...
Old 09-05-2023, 01:07 AM   #21
andrew6white6
AF Newbie

you can save this information in * and it will be much more practical and convenient
My templates web

EDIT: Advertising services and products is only available by contacting the site Administration and becoming a registered advertiser. That will place your advertisements more prominently and not violate board posting rules.

Last edited by Blue Bowtie; 09-05-2023 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Advertising Links Removed
andrew6white6 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina APV