Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Celica
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 12:25 AM   #1
91 Celica St
AF - Advisor

Read if you want to turbo your celica *revised

I revised this becuase it needed updating, and i havnt been on lately and wanted to do this for about 2 months now

ive noticed alot of people on this forum asking to turbo their celica's

first off
Years 90-99 St (when i say 4afe i mean 4afe/7afe)
your st is light and nimble, but your 4afe sucks, alot. you have a few options if you like, altouhght i wouldnt reccomend a highcomp 4age swap anymore becuase 1. its hard to find and expensive( around $1500 if you can find it) to get a highcomp 4age w the wiering harness and ecu 2. not alot of power is gained, a measly 140 hp at the crank.

i also dont really reccomend the silvertop or blacktop swaps either anymore, there pretty damn good engines and breath extremely well, but due to little to no aftermarket support, and the fact that their expensive dotn really appeal to me (n btw i was offered a complete silvertop swap as a sponsorship for $500 shipped w ecu harness and tranny but i declined for my 4agze) you can find a silvertop swap for around $1200-1500 and a blacktop for around $1700

then theres the 4agze swap, in all honhesty i favor this one the most simply becuase its less expensive and you net more power with more potnetial (sorta, the 20v has more potnetial thres just no support for it to optain that potential) this swap can be done for aroudn $1200 with all the accesories you need for the swap

or you could simply buy just the 4agze motor (can find for around $500) and swap out your bottem end for this one, and either turbo it or supercahrge it with the sc-12 (look at the 5sfe turbo part on how to ceahply turbo your 4afe)

for 7afe guys you can do a g head swap, go with smallport if your not planning on making any more than 200 hp, if your going ot make more than that use the bigport head, and elminate tvis

aslo you can turbo your 7afe, and thye love boost, check out allgencelica.org, guy on there is running 12psi on his 7afe and pushin 14 flats on street tires and an open diff, grated that not very safe on stock 7afe internals, and no telling how long that 6 bolt carnk will hold up

Years 90-99Gt/gts
Your 5sfe is a great motor...but not as good as the 3sgte...
theres 3 things you could do...

with under $1000 you can turbo your 5sfe
no you will not have a nice or fancy engine managment system, but you will have a fairly reliable turbo kit for your car. simply buy the stock manifold off a 3sgte, and a ct-26 turbo, either get the oil pan off a 3sgte or tap your oil pan, get the charge pipes off a 3sgte and the tmic (top mount intercooler) but theres a problem with that, the throttle body off the 3sgte if in the middle of the intake mani, the 5sfe one hangs off to the right, this can be fixed by buying new charge pipes or going and (yes it ghetto but whatever) getting pvc pipes and some couplings and hose clamps. for engine managment go and get a safc, zero out the settigns BEFORE YOU INSTALL THE TURBO, and add about 5% at each point in eqal incriments past 2500 rpm

if you have a nice hearty amount of money and arent bound by smog laws like we are here in california. Buy a front (or rear clip of mr2) and get a 3sgte...a 200 (or 225 for jdm) hp motor that can withstand 500+Hp on a stock bottem end. It has great potential and is basically the greatest 4 cylender motor in the world (way better than the evos 4g63 motor) and has many aftermarket parts, refer to the 3sgte swap page for more info

the main reason why i changed this page is becuase of these next 2 things, nowadays it is safe to run a turbo or supercharger on high compression engines becuase of knock sensors, and vvt. the main reaosn why it wasnt (before) is becuase the higher the compression you had, you had to run higher octane becuase of dentonation. now dentonation is basically taken away due to knock sensors, and varable valve timing, it can automattically advance or retard timing ad necessary, witch will alow you to run a turbo or supercharger and not (really) have to worry about dentionation, it will still happen, and you shoudl tatke everyprecautionary mesure to prevent it.
00-05 celica GT

my veiws on this engine have changed, yes i still would rather have a 5sfe in my car than a 1zzfe, its quite a remarkable little engine. even though its only rated at 140 hp, it sure dosent feel like it. the only way your really going to make any power though is if you turbo it. yes its semi-high compression, but nowadays that dosent really matter as much, safly id run no more than 10 psi on the stock internals, after that youll need now rods and take out those cast pistons in exchange for forged ones.

00-04 Celica GTS

the gt-s is a very nimble and quick (not fast) car. bolt on will yield you slim but its a good start, your best bet is to turbo, your not going to make much more power running it n/a inless you run very high comp pistons (i.e. 14:1 but you must then use race gas) and build it. IMO you could only get about 300 whp on an n/a 2zz, turboing tho...id never guess how much hp these would get from turboing at 5-7 psi. theyre making about 230-250whp on 5-7 psi on stock internals. pretty impressive for a 4 cylendar.

Compression/Turbo: In essence your taking air, Compressing it, and force feeding it into your engine. basically when you already have high compression, your already .....um....running boost?, theres no real way to put it except like this....if the 2zzge was 9:5:1 compression, the motor would not have as much HP becuase basically the higher the compression its sotra like having a stock boost. If the 1zzfe or 5sfe had 11:5:1 then it would have ALOT more HP another examply of this would be the 3age to high comp 4age
4age=125hp at 9.3:1
high comp-140hp at 10.3:1
The reasons why you would Up/Lower compression

you would lower compression so you would abe able to bost better withought having to worry about compression being too high, in essence boost is better than a higher compression. If i took the 3sgte...and upped the shit outta the compression ratio...than turboed it...id destroy the motor. If i took the 2zzge and lowered the compression, My Hp would drop, dramatically, i would go from 180 to lets just say 120 Hp at 8:5 compression But i would be able to boost at a higher psi. resulting in lets just say 7 psi of boost and i now have 210 HP...and i have stronger internals becuase the rods and wall are built to withstand higher pressure that was caused by the higher compression.

Reason why you boost:
basically in the world thigns of a higher concentration of pressure, go from a lower concentration. Boost creates moer pressure in the intake manifold and trys to keep pressure the same in the exhaust (but actually kinda makes a little more because of the turbo housing) Boost makes it so the air has a lot of pressure and the cumbustion chambers are nnow filled with pressurized air....boom and now the air is exhaust at a lower pressure and is exhiting the exhaust system and is pulled outta th ecar from back pressure

Reasons why higher compression acts like boost:

short and simple, already has higher atmospheric pressure in the combustion chamber...higher concentration out the ass end of the car faster ....simple....and done...
Old 10-17-2006, 08:48 AM   #2
DARK_CELICA
AF Newbie

Re: Read if you want to turbo your celica *revised

hey!
i have a 04 Celica gts and i love it, i would like to make it faster.
can you give me an advice?
how can i make it more fast?
i already install an intake and i'm thinking on install a header, but a friend of my said that it is not good to do that.
DARK_CELICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 12:11 PM   #3
jman27
AF Newbie

hello I am new to this I have a celica 1990 GTX need to know of ALL the upgrades, problems
Old 11-21-2006, 02:05 AM   #4
91 celica GTrinity
AF Newbie

If anyone want to really find out what a celica is capable of.talk to me, ive been researching celicas and their potential every day for over a year and i cant thing of anything i dont know or cant find out about these beautiful amazing machines.and no offence 91 celica ST, but instead of telling people to build up their stock low compression no chance of a moter 4afe, tell them to put the 3S-GTE int their cars which is what someone who reserches celica proformance would do.Go big or go home.what would you rather have 200hp max from a 4afe, or 260hp stock from a 3S-GTE?so if any one want to know what their vehicle is realy capable of doin, give me a haller.

91 celica GTrinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:21 AM   #5
91 celica GTrinity
AF Newbie

a good thing to start with is making sure you drive train is capable of hadling the power you plan to put into it,that a common mistake people make, is either building the out side and calling it a race car, or building the inside and not compencating for the power.after you make sure your drive train is strong and stable enough, building power depends on how much your willing to spend...cheeper alternitives,
A)A cold air intake complimented by a upgraded muffler( i prefer magnaflow)
B)Ignition system complemented by port and polish and new proformance cams.
C)All of the above.(remember, especialy with the cam and port and polishing, you will need to get you computer chip upgraded/replaced, or get a fuel management system to tune it yourself.
D)port/polish, new cams, low compression pistons and a suppercharger or turbo.

I highly disadvise trying to go nitrus for the fact the people over look imprtant facors that lead to the half way dont the track slamed into the wall due to a scesed up moter...ive seen it myself, trust me.turbo or suppercharger my friend. but if you want to know more feel free ask away..
91 celica GTrinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:22 AM   #6
91 Celica St
AF - Advisor

lol this guy is a tool^ and 200hp max form a 4afe? your funny go over to celicatech look for a guy named dascorcha over500+WHP on a 4afe. some poeple dont want to spend $2500+ on a swap when they can build a turbo kit for $1000-$1500 reliably.

thers also the unfortunate bunch of us that live in florida, hawaii and california who have to deal with smog and cant swap a 3sgte. when you can pull a turbo kit off in a few hours.

you forget, ive done a 3sgte swap, ive turboed a 5sfe, and boosted a 4afe. swapping a 3sgte isnt alwyas the best choice

my 4 years of building celicas > your 1 year of research, go home
Old 02-23-2007, 07:33 PM   #7
NER9704
AF Newbie

hey iam looking 4 a more powerful engine to swap with my 1zz-fe its an 01 celica gt and i wanna hear all there is to hear about celica performance thanx
NER9704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:19 AM   #8
jaxson
AF Regular

Hey everyone,
I have a 2000 Celica GT-S. This car is definitly fun to drive but I really want to boast the power up. I have done a full H22A engine swap into a 91 Honda Accord but I don't have any experience with turboes. So I would like to know what you guys suggest. I want my Celica to be fast enough to be respectable. It doesn't have to be putting down 280 hp to the wheels. I will be happy with 200hp to the wheels. I also don't want this to be a daily driving car so I don't want a crazy amount of boost. I don't want to kill the life of this car because it was handed down to me from my sister.

Are there any specific kits you guys know of that you suggest me to buy. I am planning to install it myself.

I was also thinking about supercharging it but again I don't have experience in forced induction.

What's your ?

Check out the progress of my RS Skyline Super Silhouette
jaxson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:04 PM   #9
UNCRck2
AF Newbie

Ok i have a 1990 celica gt 5sfe engine im gonna turbo it with a ct26 turbo front mount intercooler and the aftermarket manifold and downpipe and exahust but my question is what do i do about the ecu can some one clarify it for me
UNCRck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:37 AM   #10
slicksystem
AF Newbie

hi i notice you know alot about celica but it seems you know alot about the 1999 and less models.....i have a 2000 toyota celica gts with a 2zzge engine and i had a few questions if you could help me with....
1)i saw you wrote that you can build a turbo kit for $1000 to $1500. that sounds cheap to me, i have been looking around and when i built a kit in the store it came out to $4000 including the new ecu and $3000 without it.
2)do you know where i can get a aftermarket intake manifold at?
3)where can i find good cams for my car that will give me more torque?
slicksystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:57 AM   #11
mynycelica
AF Newbie

what about the toyota celica 1993 STX?

mynycelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #12
R3ND3ZV0US
AF Newbie

Hey I have a 2000 gt s, can I buy A turbo kit, and Put it on my car, please get back to me.
R3ND3ZV0US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:40 PM   #13
tether
AF Newbie

hi i ave a 90 celica automatic and i ave a turbo gt4 manual can i put the turbo off the gt4 in to my auto thanx
tether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:03 PM   #14
aussie 96 celica
AF Newbie

Hi Guys,
I have a 1996 zr Celica with 5sfe engine in it which I want to turbo.
I can get my hands on a 3sgte with turbo out of a mr2.
Is the engine swap going to be a pain or should I just look at putting a turbo on the 5ste.
NEED HELP PLEASE.
aussie 96 celica is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Celica