Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 02:46 PM   #1
cgtaylor
AF Newbie

1990 Accord DX rear speaker cut-outs

I am looking for some advice for cutting out the spots for rear speakers in my '90 DX. i don't want to be lying in my back with a utility knofe. Any suggestions? Thanks
cgtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 05:50 PM   #2
killah_xft
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to killah_xft Send a message via AIM to killah_xft
get a metal cutting bit for a dremel, cut a hole however big you want. get some foam center plywood (great for sound dampning, and some GOOD rubber bushings. and shape the board to fit the hole ( a bit oversized than the hole). Then bolt it up, and put your speakers in.
Black 1999 Honda Accord LX, Bombz Cold Air Intake, DC Sports Ceramic Exhaust header, "Rally racing" Foglights, 400 watt coustic 401SE AMP, 450 watt Bazooka TVB 141 Tri-vent triangle sub. 220 watt Pioneer 6.5" 3-way (in doors).

To come: Dynamat, Borla exhaust system, and 17" Koenig Absolute (black w/ chome lip), Coilovers, & camber kit (1-1.5 drop), Extensive Engine mods.

check me out on: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/515191
killah_xft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 08:35 PM   #3
cgtaylor
AF Newbie

Re: 1990 Accord DX rear speaker cut-outs

Thanks a lot. Do I need a metal cutting bit? The back boards seems to be some fabric and wood or cardboard material. I was thinking I could cut the hole with a utility knife. There seem to be to holes in the trunk that would be a perfect fit for the speakers. Also, I bout 6 x 9s for the front as well. Any suggestions for getting to the inside of the door? Thanks agian for any help.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:24 PM   #4
killah_xft
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to killah_xft Send a message via AIM to killah_xft

6x9's for the door? umm you are definitly going to need a dremel, or other metal cutting tool... umm and as far as cutting fabric, don't do that unless you plan to make a whole new rear deck, and do all the fabric work.. The stock locations are just fine for most applications. You will have to remove the rear deck, by folding the front seats down, and popping the plastic piece in the front off, and then pop the fabric deck off. (I'm going to be doing this on Friday to my 99 accord, and I'll take pictures to show you how) Then you have to unscrew the old speakers, and drop them out of the car, and cut your new holes (in the metal) then cut your wood spacers to fit the holes, and speakers you are putting in. If they are'nt bigger than the stock location don't bother cutting the metal, just drop them in, and bolt them on. You may have to drill new holes for the speakers due to different mountings different brands of speaker manufacturers use. use some rubber grommets/bushings between the metal and the speaker to reduce vibration moise, and screw them down snug, not super tight. Just enough so they don't wiggle around. then put all the deck back together..

As for putting 6x9's in the doors, you'll need a metal cutting tool for sure in this part... and I don't think you'll like the results. for one thing the stock door panels only have an opening for a 6.5 inch round speaker.... whicke leaves you 1.5 inches outside the size of this opening... and unless you plan to modify the door , and put in the grills the speakers came with. I suggest turning the 6x9's in and going for stock 6.5 rounds. I'll be sure to post the pics of my removing the rear deck sometime either this weekend or monday.
Black 1999 Honda Accord LX, Bombz Cold Air Intake, DC Sports Ceramic Exhaust header, "Rally racing" Foglights, 400 watt coustic 401SE AMP, 450 watt Bazooka TVB 141 Tri-vent triangle sub. 220 watt Pioneer 6.5" 3-way (in doors).

To come: Dynamat, Borla exhaust system, and 17" Koenig Absolute (black w/ chome lip), Coilovers, & camber kit (1-1.5 drop), Extensive Engine mods.

check me out on: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/515191
killah_xft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 12:42 AM   #5
cgtaylor
AF Newbie

Opps, my mistake!!! Please forgive the newbie error, but I bout 6.5s for the rear and for the door...not 6 x 9 as I said before. Sorry for wasting your time. Will that be easier for putting in the doors? I'd appreciate the pictures from the back of your car. In the 90 DX, there are no speakers in the rear. It odes, however, look like there are holes in the metal in the trunk that I could drop them into if I cut those matching holes in the fabric board in the back. How do I pop that rear board out? I see 3 holes that are filled with little plugs that look like I could use to pop it out. But, I am not sure what I have to do to loosen the board. If I can remove it, I can outline the holes in the trunk with a sharpie, take it inside and make the cuts for the 6.5s. Good luck with your project and thanks again for the help, and sorry for my error on my speaker sizes.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio