Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cima | Nissan President | Infiniti Q45
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 06:17 PM   #1
bryanworks
AF Newbie

Broken timing chain

Pretty sure my timing chain broke, if so do the valves and pistons interfere? Trying to decide if I want to install a new chain or have a mechanic replace the valves and guides. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
Bryan
bryanworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 04:29 AM   #2
maxnix
AF Regular

Re: Broken timing chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanworks
Pretty sure my timing chain broke, if so do the valves and pistons interfere? Trying to decide if I want to install a new chain or have a mechanic replace the valves and guides. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance. Bryan
If your Q45 is between 1990-1993 and you don't have the updated timing chain guides installed, the engine is probably toast. Some heads can have valves replaced if bent, but beware if anything is broken. Timing chains very rarely break, but the early guides do allowing the chain to jump, and the guide pieces can foul the oil pump chain and score the oil pump body.

Go to www.nissaninfiniticlub.net to read extensively on the subject of timing chain guides.

Last edited by maxnix; 12-19-2003 at 06:34 PM.
maxnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 07:33 AM   #3
flyinlouis
AF Newbie

Unhappy 1994 Q45 timing chain broken

Hi, I also think my timing chain is broken. Yesterday, I cranked the engine, it started for about 0.25 second and stopped. After that, the engine cranks with a whining noise but does not start...

I have a 1994 Q45 and wonder if the engine is toasted in the case of a timing chain broken?? The car has 107000 miles (not so much...) Do the piston intefere with the valves in that case or is it just a matter of replacing the timing chain?

Thanks!
flyinlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 12:43 AM   #4
maxnix
AF Regular

1994 Q45 timing chain is not broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinlouis
Hi, I also think my timing chain is broken. Yesterday, I cranked the engine, it started for about 0.25 second and stopped. After that, the engine cranks with a whining noise but does not start...

I have a 1994 Q45 and wonder if the engine is toasted in the case of a timing chain broken?? The car has 107000 miles (not so much...) Do the piston intefere with the valves in that case or is it just a matter of replacing the timing chain?
The 1994 and later VH45DE had the new guides installed at the factory. Chain does not break at that early a mileage unless seriously abused by too few oil changes. Yes it is an interference engine. Might check your Bosch plugs to see if they dropped any of their electrodes yet.

What is the condition of your fuel filter and fuel pump?
Old 11-04-2003, 06:48 AM   #5
flyinlouis
AF Newbie

Re: 1994 Q45 timing chain is not broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix
The 1994 and later VH45DE had the new guides installed at the factory. Chain does not break at that early a mileage unless seriously abused by too few oil changes. Yes it is an interference engine. Might check your Bosch plugs to see if they dropped any of their electrodes yet.

What is the condition of your fuel filter and fuel pump?

Ok Guys, false alarm. As you sais, those chain do not break. Anyway replacement of the timing chain involves removing the engine with the transmission for the service. It's a major work and you can see that the timing chain was not designed to be replaceable. Now, my problem was a flooded car.

I troubleshooted by elimination. I chedked fuel supply by disconnecting the fuel hose between the fuel injector busses. Fuel was flowing big time as soon as the ignition key was turned to the "on" position. ==> no problem.

Then I pulled the fuel pump fuse & checked with a digital oscilloscope the signal going to a spark splug primary coil. I could see beatiful pulses there so ==> no problem.

Then I checked signal going to a fuel injector. I could also see beautiful pulses so ==> no problem.
Then I was wandering how come the engine would not start: fuel supply is good, ignition coil were triggered by the ECU so were the fuel injectors??? I then put back the fuel pump fuse & cranked the starter... vrrroom! the beast started...it was flooded.

I still don't understand why it flooded thought but it's running smoothly now.
flyinlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 09:50 AM   #6
maxnix
AF Regular

1994 Q45 timing chain is not broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinlouis
I still don't understand why it flooded thought but it's running smoothly now.
If you start the car cold and move it a very short distance immediately and shut it off, it will flood easily.

Why it is important to warm car up to operating temperature before driving.

There are some interesting posts at NICO about voltages required for pump operation and waveforms for proper injector operation you might want to peruse. Lots of other very useful for the technically inclined, also. You may want to do a search on Bosch.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:00 PM   #7
wgreene63
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to wgreene63
Those are the exact symptoms I am having. I moved my 1990 Q45 20 feet to wash it and the next day it started for about 2 seconds and quit. I have tried to start it several times and the engine seems like it has no compression. It turns, I can see the fan turning but doesn't start. I was thinking timing belt/chain but if it is just flooded that would answer my prayers. If it is flooded, how do I fix that? I know with a carburated car you simply turn it over with the accelerator floored until it clears. Not sure what to do with the Q45. Any help would be appreciated.

Car has about 92k miles on it.
wgreene63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 02:49 AM   #8
maxnix
AF Regular

Flodded engine

If it is flooded, all injectors firing at once has washed your cylinder wall free of lubrication so you have no compression.

After it has set a day, pull fuel pump fuse and spin for about 15-30 seconds. Re-install fuse and start as normal (should not require any throttle unless seriously out of tune).

In the future, don't shut off engine before it has reached operating temperature.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:21 AM   #9
wgreene63
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to wgreene63
I cranked it over for about 1 minute and it started. Did not know about the flooding issue. I know now. Thanks for the reply.
wgreene63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 12:22 PM   #10
infinman
AF Enthusiast

During cranking, the Q45 injectors are "fired"simultaniously{all at once}untill closed loop{warmup} is achieved.Then they go to "sequential" firing.If you start your Q then shut it off right away,then restart again,you will most likely "flood "the engine.Each attempt to start will only worsen the condition.Pulling the injector fuse to clear flood is the best remedy.Good luck
infinman is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cima | Nissan President | Infiniti Q45