Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 05:05 AM   #1
RS4Chris
AF Newbie

Kit Review: Thunder Valley Formula Perfect Detail Set - MP4/6

Hi Folks,

I couldn't really find too much info about these kits before I bought one so I thought I show you what you get. I went for the cheaper kit without the dampers.

Parts come in a handy little box

Inside you get one photo etch sheet, three lengths of heat shrink, four aluminium rods to make up the plumbing, some nylon line (one of which is a bit crumpled), velocity stacks and a new airbox base, and a bunch of white metal parts.

The PE parts look pretty nice and good quality. All on a rubber backing.

Velocity stacks have a flat side so the fit is decent, and airbox base is pre-drilled to fit the larger diameter stacks.

You get a pretty good selection of white metal parts, but these aren't as good as I was expecting. They're just cast from the original Tamiya parts, mould lines included. You can see where they've been cut from the sprue too. I was hoping for something a little more custom, but at least it'll add weight to the finished model.

There's no real instructions with the kit, only three pages of photoetch identification. No reference pics, diagrams or anything else so it's not really a beginners kit. It would have been nice to see some tobacco decals in there, or something to make it a little more unique. Not sure about his claims of being better than the Perfect Parts kit, but certainly better priced.

Paul seems like a nice guy to deal with. Some of the exhaust castings are a bit messed up and he's doing all he can to replace them for me. Delivery isn't the quickest though...

Hope that helps anyone else thinking about one of these kits.

Chris
RS4Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:29 AM   #2
Decs0105
AF Enthusiast

Re: Kit Review: Thunder Valley Formula Perfect Detail Set - MP4/6

Thanks for review!
Decs0105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:03 AM   #3
flhansen
AF Regular

Hi

Thanks for the review. Apart from the repopped Tamiya parts it looks okay - although if there is no instructions as such, how do one find the placement of the countless PE parts? I have neved understood the idea of make exact copies in wm of the perfectly good Tamiya parts. I could understand it if these have been upgraded - but not even mould lines have been removed??? What's the point? In older times it would have made a point of make the metal as a finish in itself - but these days with fancy Alclad finishes that is no problem to reproduce on an exhaust. But the calipers are an anodized finished anyway where you won't gain anything with these parts in wm. It adds weight - yeah but that is not very good unless the model is supported underneath, because the tires will be seriously flatspotted in a couple of years even as a model out of the box :-(

Flemming
flhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:51 PM   #4
MidMazar
AF Fanatic

Thanks for the review, i was always interested in thundervalley stuff.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:49 PM   #5
tuned.by.twenty
AF Vendor-TBT's Owner

WOW, that's a lot of parts!

Edit: Quintuple post. New AF record?
tuned.by.twenty is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling