Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 11:43 AM   #1
smata67
AF Regular

1999 Windstar Heater Blend Door Actuator

So I got the sound like the door was opening and closing over and over again and no heat. I removed the actuator and opened it up. Most of the teeth on the first gear after the motor are stripped or worn. So, is this definitely the problem, all I have to do is replace the actuator? No chance the door is seized or something and will strip the new motor when I put it back in? Do I just re-align the drive pin when re-assembling or is there a trick to it?
Old 11-14-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
bdahl385
AF Newbie

Re: 1999 Windstar Heater Blend Door Actuator

to check the movement of the blend door, insert a correct sized tool (tip of straight screwdriver blade for instance) into the "D" shaped receptacle of the blend door. rotate the tool to check blend door movement. you can see the shape of the actuator by looking at your motor assy. you have removed.

there is a trick to get the new motor assy. installed. you must "mate" up the tip into the receptacle so you have to rotate the motor to get it lined up. I turned the key on to provide power and moved the temp selector slider on the console to get the motor assy. to turn to the correct orientation. Then you can line up the bolt holes to reassemble the new motor into the van.

post back if you run into any prob's.
bdahl385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:09 AM   #3
hrhsb
AF Newbie

Smile Re: 1999 Windstar Heater Blend Door Actuator

There are several posts in here concerning replacing the blend door actuator installation so I won't repeat. I read the posts, bought the actuator at Ford ($75 now in Sept 2010) and followed installation instruction, completed successfully within 1 hour.

Some tips - when removing radio with the radio removal tools (Autozone $5), I pulled on the cassette opening in the radio, the removal tools liked to slip out. Came right out when I pulled on the cassette as well.

Removing the A/C and heat part of the center dash was easy - 4 bolts and out and much better access (although still tough for bigger hands) to actuator. The lower 2 bolts were hard to see since I had to open the drink tray to access them (7 mm).

A very long ratchet helps - even with everything removed. Actuator has 3 screws that are a little difficult to get to. On mine these were 8 mm.

Saw lots of advice on aligning the D-shaped post in the actuator with the D shaped opening that moves the blend door. I thought easiest approach was simply to rotate the new actuator until the post slides in - then rotate the entire new actuator (post still engaged) until its in position to screw back in - this requires VERY little force, was easy.

So good luck - it's nice having heat again!
hrhsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:00 PM   #4
crrobbins
AF Newbie

I just replaced my actuator door on wife's 99' Windstar. Took about an hour. I purchased it from Rock Auto online for about $33.00. Have had pretty good luck with them. The price indicates a possible cheap actuator door, but I hope it lasts a long time. Have 165K miles on van. If you don't mind waiting Rock Auto is a pretty good idea. The price included shipping with a 5% discount.
crrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:38 PM   #5
Flash74
AF Newbie

I just joined this forums and I'm glad I found this I also have a 1999 ford windstar that the actuator went out hearing making a clicking noise so I bought it. but I screwed up big time. That little black thing where the actuator goes in that moves the door or whatever it is I accidently push it in when I was installing the new one. Is a way to get it back out I cant see it so I don't know if it fell inside. I am angry at myself. Can someone give me some advice on this. Tank you
Flash74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:01 PM   #6
wiswind
AF Moderator

I was very lucky in that I did not run into this with my '96 Windstar. So I do not have any personal experience with this repair.
I would suggest doing a search and reading the posts that you find.....pictures are good. Take note that 1999 was a MAJOR change year......so posts from years before may be different from your situation.
The other thing that I would suggest is looking at the information on Alldatadiy......a paid subscription service that will give you access to VERY close to factory service manuals. AutoZone (owner of Alldatadiy) also has some of this information available for FREE on their website. I do not know if AutoZone or Alldata cover this particular repair in detail....but they DO cover many repairs.

Another....long shot....would be to look on ebay and see what you can find there.
I have found that "junk yards" will part out vehicles and list assemblies on there.....so you never know what you might find.....again....be very aware that the 1998 may be very different from 1999.

Don't beat yourself up too bad.....I'm supposed to be some highly technical person....but I sure make my share of boneheaded moves.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4157486...092975/detail/
2003 Toyota Sienna pictures (not much there yet)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4157486...781661/detail/
wiswind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 10:15 AM   #7
Flash74
AF Newbie

I replace my actuator for my Windstar 1999 but I accidently push in the black piece where you put in the actuator. which I think it the door I cant find it it fell in how can I take it out. need help thank you
Flash74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:57 AM   #8
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

Flash74, it reads as though your blend door is broken otherwise it would not have fallen inside. Its a bit of a job to repair the blend door (it is not available as a repair part) but its been done before by many others, ... I've done it and posted a bit of info. Do a search on "blend door" and see if you get a good hit.
12Ounce is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar