Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 09:37 AM   #1
aukster
AF Newbie

Radio system question

Ok let me try to explain this. I have a 01 and the cd player doesnt work. As you may know in the 01's with the radio on the passengers in the back cannot listen to their movie playing. Or that is the way it is in our van. My 1st question is, When did they change the systems for the pasengers to listen to their audio without interfering with the radio in front or did they? 2nd question is if this is wired up in the radio to do this can I change the radio out anda fix the system in the back forthe passengers to listen to their audio. 3rd question is if so can I change it out with another Silo unit form a later year and it mount correctly? I would appreciate the help on this. To be honest when I bought the van, it was used. I did not know that the cd player did not work. I also didnt know that the system in the front had to be turned off for the rear to listen to a movie or anything. If I had known this info I would have not bought the van. Thanks.
aukster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:22 AM   #2
merc81
AF Enthusiast

Re: Radio system question

I think the issue is not in the radio, but in the control system for the entertainment system. The rear speakers will mute when the radio comes on in front. This is done by the rear system controller--it senses the front radio being on and mutes the rear door speakers. This is by design, not fault. Clearly, you don't want the rear speakers competing with the front speakers with different program sources.

I'm not sure, but I think you can modify this behavour by removing the sensing wire running from the rear unit to the front radio. If the rear system can't tell you have the front radio on, it won't mute.
Perhaps someone else has worked on the rear controller module and can jump in here?
merc81 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette