Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
nugundam93
Blarg! Wort Wort Wort!

New Man Porsche 956

I've built this already but before I post the completed pics, I might as well post the WIP first.

I was planning on doing this as an OOB build but when I got this cheap due to water/mold damage, I knew I'd be in for a lot of work. The kit itself has some water damage, evident in the box, manual and ack, decal sheet. fortunately, the sheet was still ok for scanning and i just printed one using a clear laser wet transfer decal paper (brand is scopa).

Apologies for the sometimes poor pic quality, was switching between a 2MP cellphone cam and a 3MP digicam with a good macro function

Here's the kit and the contents (including the printed decal sheet I did)

started painting some semi-gloss black parts...though i decided to just fill in the sink marks and ejector marks (this kit has a lot of the latter. gah). i've also deepened the panel lines and opened-up the vents near the exhaust. lastly, i've roughened up the plastic with 600 grit sandpaper before i spray with primer once the weather's ok.

lotsa ejector marks...puttied

gearbox and engine parts, the steering assembly and the two turbos glued together

opened up the side vents

puttied and leveled the sunken plastic on the tail

i normally wouldn't have cared for the ejector pin marks on the tail's underside...but the tail actually comes off to display the engine bay, so i need to putty them

sanded down the puttied sink marks on the chassis...and roughed-up the other plastics

Last edited by nugundam93; 07-02-2013 at 07:15 PM. Reason: added more pics
nugundam93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #2
24hrs
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: New Man Porsche 956

Good choice of subject! I have some questions for you, what is scopa? Where do you get it? Natl bookstore? Hows the print quality? Can you post a closeup of the decal? Thanks in advance!

Yep. Weather sucks in QC!
Old 07-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
nugundam93
Blarg! Wort Wort Wort!

Re: New Man Porsche 956

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hrs View Post
Good choice of subject! I have some questions for you, what is scopa? Where do you get it? Natl bookstore? Hows the print quality? Can you post a closeup of the decal? Thanks in advance!

Yep. Weather sucks in QC!
thanks. i do still regret "experimenting" on my Toyota 88C-V, [From A] Porsche 962C and Jaguar XJR-9LM. someday i'll build them again

Yup, scopa is the brand, i believe it is korean-made. Bought them from Nat'l bookstore, though some branches carry only the inkjet-compatible paper, some only have the laser-compatible. Print quality is dependent on your printer - mine's a laser printer with a max resolution of 600dpi and it looked ok, given that most of the decals were simple anyway. i did run into quality problems (not that good a printout) when i did a decal sheet for an itasha kit tough.

i'll try to post a close-up tomorrow, along with the rest of the pics. couldn't post anymore as i was already sleepy, lol.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
nugundam93
Blarg! Wort Wort Wort!

Continuing with the rest of the WIP...

the rims with the tires on. i overscuffed one of the front tires (left lower tire in the pic), it looks like it's gonna have a tire failure now. hehe. funny thing is, the tires were already gummy when i was roughing them up with 100 grit sandpaper...kinda felt like the rubber here was the same as real qualifying slick tires of the old days where it's good only for one blistering lap and then will fail immediately due to it's tremendous grip at the expense of tire life.

here's the painted parts at this stage:

here's the tires with the wheel rim covers. i thought it would just be snap-fit but it comes off loose, so i had to glue them on. in hindsight, i should have used elmer's glue so that i could remove it again, but i used tamiya cement.

chassis + engine

the silver part on the underchassis' supposed to be chrome silver but i'll be scuffing this up later along with the rest of the bottom to simulate race wear so it was left as flat aluminum:

and here's the completed chassis:

to be continued in the next post...
Old 07-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #5
nugundam93
Blarg! Wort Wort Wort!

so i discovered that this kit's rear rims are wrong. gah. during the 1984 24 hours of le mans, it didn't run with the rear wheel covers/fans and worse, it ran with mesh rims (same design as the front), not the 6-spoke rims. i've been told that the kenwood 956 has the correct rear rims but since i don't have one, i decided to copy the front rims' mesh and transplant it to the rear after thinning down the spokes to serve as support. the one on the right's the recast part (i used bosny 2-part epoxy) and i still need to trim off excess plastic and properly shape the hole where the center lock nut of the rim will go through. the one on the middle's a newer casted part which i still need to start trimming. in retrospect, i should've started trimming it off while the epoxy was still curing as it was still soft, just like what i did with the first cast. oh well, there's always the PE saw.

since the reprinted decal was done on clear decal sheet and not white, it won't be able to do white decals. i masked off the white parts and sprayed them already so that when the rest of the reprinted decal goes in, it'll look like the original...like in this case, the windshield:

here's the masked-off body. i need to keep the white parts around (aside from the design) so that it can serve as the white background for the reprinted decals:

after previously weathering the rim covers and using the old yellowed decals, i decided to repaint it in white and just use the reprinted decals. notice the rather raised edge of the clear decal on the lower left quarter of the rim cover on the left, i'll probably spray clear on them later and sand them down flush:

and here's the other glass parts. if you notice the rather transparent "Dunlop" decals on the headlight covers, that's the reprinted decal. i tried to use the old decal as a base for it but it was too crunchy, it broke up as soon as it separated from the backing paper (and i soaked it in warm water for 1 min. ugh):

annoyingly, even though the front and rear rims are of the same height, the mesh on the fronts won't fill the rear rims, so i'll have to concede and use the wheel covers on the rear rims.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #6
nugundam93
Blarg! Wort Wort Wort!

here's the body waiting for a coat of clear. after that, i'll slightly wetsand it to even out the paint, recoat the black (hand-painted tamiya acrylic x-18 but when the clear went over it, some white basecoat showed up), then i'll put in the decals and panel lines, then a final clearcoat. after the clearcoat, polish it and then add race weathering.

here's the body with the rest of the decals. some of them like the BP logos are from the original water-soaked decal sheet as the printed logo didn't color well once applied onto the yellow body (should've masked it off so that the bottom is white and the green logo body comes out looking okay). worse, the two BP logos on the rear wheelwell covers on the rear cowl and the two smaller BP logos on the inside of the rear wing's sides can't be seen since the background color is black. same goes for the newman logos on the rear cowl and wing - it isn't visible unless you look for it intently. i tried to use the old decal and while it worked, it reacted badly with bosny clearcoat and wrinkled:

But...DISASTER!

turns out, the white stripes running on the left side of the car should be from the upper right down to lower left and not the way i painted it (upper right down to lower right). so, on to a bath in IPA:

for some reason i decided to buy a laser sticker sheet along with a new pack of scopa decal sheets. when i got home, i found the reason why - i'll be using the sticker sheet as a masking template for the body. the decal on the left, the sticker sheet on the right:

so while it's taking an IPA bath, decided to put aluminum tape instead on the engine bay, cockpit and underchassis (goodbye OOB build, partly due as well to the opened vents, hehehe). used masking tape as templates then put them on the aluminum tape for trimming (other templates not shown):

so here's the underchassis (taken before i repainted the black engine bay vents):

engine bay:

cockpit:

Old 07-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #7
nugundam93
Blarg! Wort Wort Wort!

after repainting the white base color, i then applied the sticker sheets to mask off the white:

and here's the body sprayed again in lemon yellow:

painted the black part of the body:

and here's the body after removing the masking templates:

sanded down the paintjob to remove the high spots also left due to the masking and after putting the decals on:

Old 07-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
Shunter
AF Enthusiast

Looks great and a nice save. Nice idea with the stickers as a mask..

http://motorsportmodeller.blogspot.com.au/
Shunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #9
nugundam93
Blarg! Wort Wort Wort!

Thanks shunter. It really was a case of finding an unexpected use for something that i shouldn't have bought under normal circumstances. LOL!

24hrs, i still owe you a closeup of the decal. i'll try to look for my camera, but in the meantime, i'll post the decal as it was scanned and after it was cleaned-up in photoshop later when i get home.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #10
Greg23
AF Enthusiast

Looks like it's coming out good despite all the problems.
Greg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #11
nugundam93
Blarg! Wort Wort Wort!

clearcoat's done and i've sanded it even, then polished and waxed the body:

finally with everything in place and awaiting weathering. had to bend the wiper though so that it fits snug against the windshield:

thanks greg! was really relieved when everything was put together
Old 07-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #12
nugundam93
Blarg! Wort Wort Wort!

for all intents and purposes, aside from the antenna which wasn't attached to the mounting point on the roof's naca duct when these pics were taken (but now is), the car's done. finally got to weather it with a handbrushed pastel wash of white, black and brown with car paint thinner, and also airbrushed the rest of the weathering wash and a black acrylic wash for the engine bay. methinks though this car ran in a 48-hour race, not 24 hours. LOL! so here are the pics:

and a couple of rants too late...either the chassis itself or the front part of the body is misaligned and also the rear cowl won't fit securely (easily pops off). and i lost that sort of filler neck-looking thingy that would normally be seen on the left side of the rear cowl (see the rear left quarter pic and there's a circular hole in the cowl - that's where it's supposed to be at). oh well.

when i get the time i'll take proper pics for a completed thread.

24hrs, unfortunately, it turns out i was unable to save the original scan pic of the moldy and yellowed decal sheet. what i do have though is the cleaned-up decals after some photoshop:

Old 07-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #13
24hrs
AF Newbie

Nice 956! Nice and dirty! that's the decal using scopa? At 600 dpi? How does it react to micro sol and set?
Thanks!
Old 07-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #14
nugundam93
Blarg! Wort Wort Wort!

thanks. yup that's the decal. the edited file was 1200dpi but i could only print up to 600dpi due to printer limitations. i only used micro sol and it reacted fine, though my decal fixative was actually bosny acrylic clear as during that time, scopa's decal fixative was out of stock. fortunately, there weren't much complex curves for the decals so making them cling properly wasn't too hard, given that bosny clear actually makes for a "crunchy" decal as it won't flex compared to a decal with proper decal fixative.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #15
24hrs
AF Newbie

Sounds good! I'll give it a try. Going to trinoma later to look for scopa and fixative. I want to try and print some small decals that nobody else prints. Like the small plates located on the door jambs and such,found on vintage 911's. Since I'm due to buy a new printer, any recommendations? Tnx!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports