Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volvo > 850
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 11:37 AM   #1
Andthenrexysaid
AF Newbie

Question 850 T-5 (turbo, NOT R) top speed?

I drive a 1997 Volvo 850 T-5 (turbo) wagon. Everything i've read says that the top speed is 141 mph. Is this limited? is this even actually the top speed? The highest i've gotten it up to is 121, then i backed off because i saw behind me in the distance that the 3-series beemer i had just had a little race with (beat the hell of him, of course) was backing off and i thought that maybe he knew something i didn't. anyway, i was just curious, thanks.
Andthenrexysaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 12:28 AM   #2
rdollie
AF Regular

Re: 850 T-5 (turbo, NOT R) top speed?

You are bumping up against the limiter if you have a North American car. I seem to recall the top end being closer to 160 for unrestricted cars in Europe. Check the forums at www.swedespeed.com, www.vvspy.com, or www.brickboard.com and you'll find a more definitive answer.

Thanks.

-rollie
rdollie@att.net
rdollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 07:22 PM   #3
Andthenrexysaid
AF Newbie

Thank You very much for the links, your estimate on unrestricted models is about accurate according to their forums. I haven't found a definitive answer yet, but thanks for your help.
Andthenrexysaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 06:41 PM   #4
Ranger_X
AF Enthusiast

Mine has no limiter, I have gotten it to 245 km/hr with more room to go, that'd be just over 150 mph. This is with a 5 speed manual. These cars have fantastic top speed, I would think the 5 speed R is still the fastest FWD ever produced.
Ranger_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 10:48 AM   #5
thevolvoguy
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to thevolvoguy

Depends on the year. The '95.5 and below cars had no governener and I have had mine well above 140.

Venitian Red Metallic 1994 Volvo 850 Turbo Sedan
thevolvoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 03:53 AM   #6
Camel850R
AF Newbie

ive gone about 126 in my 850R until i reallized how stupid i was acting... lol but it was funny i passed these tour busses, like 6 or 7 of them in a row, i flew right by lol it was intense... ive also gone 136 in my dads benz s500 but that was at a track, my friend got me in for free so i was like whatever.... but in the 850R braking is a bitch, 2 things wrong with this car... take off power and braking... but once im at about 60 mph(110km/h) and i floor it, its an amazing feeling to peak at second
Camel850R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 06:00 PM   #7
FIREdrIver
AF Newbie

140. anything faster would have to be supped up a bit. 128 or so for non- turbo models. It all depends on your engine maintenance. get your volvo used to synthetic only, top spark plugs, CLEAN air filter, new performance timing belt/chain(every 70K) - then add a few things to help along the way: sensor chip, clean injectors(expensive), fuel boosters, smaller pulley (only one/cam etc). This should give you anywhere from 20-40 HP on regular models, and 30-50 on Turbo (think hi-flow air with Turbo models). This is all you can do without ruining your ride, performance, and longetvity. Your top speed will most likely remain the same... but you will reach it quicker. good luck.
FIREdrIver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 06:03 PM   #8
rdollie
AF Regular

Re: Re: 850 T-5 (turbo, NOT R) top speed?

I seem to recall the timing belt/chain needing replacement every 60k not 70k miles.

Also, you forgot about tuned ECU chips for the turbo models that can really up the ante on horsepower. There's several tuners for Volvo that have been upgrading the old 850/70 series line for years with good results.

Thanks.

-rollie
rdollie@att.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdrIver
140. anything faster would have to be supped up a bit. 128 or so for non- turbo models. It all depends on your engine maintenance. get your volvo used to synthetic only, top spark plugs, CLEAN air filter, new performance timing belt/chain(every 70K) - then add a few things to help along the way: sensor chip, clean injectors(expensive), fuel boosters, smaller pulley (only one/cam etc). This should give you anywhere from 20-40 HP on regular models, and 30-50 on Turbo (think hi-flow air with Turbo models). This is all you can do without ruining your ride, performance, and longetvity. Your top speed will most likely remain the same... but you will reach it quicker. good luck.
rdollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 06:58 PM   #9
FIREdrIver
AF Newbie

Rollie's right. But remember, if you change your ECU - your vehicle will crave for fuel & air consumption... in other words - it works better with an exhaust system, cold air induction, and a bigger throttle body. hmmmm.... more horsepower... and more money!! Go For It!
FIREdrIver is offline   Reply With Quote