Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 06:12 PM   #46
bk2kmax
AF Enthusiast

Re: Maxima with Juice only (video)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackKVtec
well, if thats all he has fod mods, im extremely impressed not only by the vq but also by the suspension used on the max, thats insane, a 12 sec 1/4 mile on stock, suspension, does he have an lsd or just slicks?
See that is all I was saying Zack, I don't want to argue or turn this into a me vs you thread or anything like that, so let's squash the garbage between us and let bygones be bygones.

I'm not biased and if there was/is any Maxima running like crap or crap times then I'll be the first to point it out to you, especially any Maximas that are riced out, I hate that on these cars.

And to answer your question, he does not have LSD, only the slicks which weren't in the best shape at the time and were too small for him to really let go (it is understood that he babied the clutch on his launches) so with the new slicks and this time he will run on the 3.5 Max with the 150 shot then I'm not saying that he will run 11's for sure but it is very possible.

So good luck to you with whatever you decide to do with your car and I hope that you don't rice like some Honda owners seem to do. I look forward to hearing from you and please forgive me for the earlier outburst.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:56 PM   #47
DSMJim
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Maxima with Juice only (video)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP2K2Max
no, they're mid-high 14 second cars stock it's about 2 seconds.
The car did 13.5 N/A (meaning no nitrous) and that video was 12.3 however the car did 12.1 @ 113 that day on the 100hp shot. He burnt a few mustangs and other "fast" cars at the track as well..

Believe it guys, I shot that video and that's my dads car lol... It really does that. Faster than my Talon

Also: 93 Hyundai Excel
DSMJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 08:44 PM   #48
ZackKVtec

dude man, that is so insane, porsche 911 n/a times, in a basically stock max, your dad is the man DSMJim
ZackKVtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 01:25 PM   #49
syr74
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyTorch
-Hotshot headers
-Budget B and Test-Pipe, Vibrant Muffler
-Homegrown intake
-NX Dual Stage Wet standalone System (pump, tank etc)
-NGK LFR6A's gapped at .035"
-B&M 24,000 GVW Trans cooler and Ben's drop resistor mod
-Front - Tokico Illumina's, K1 15x7's's & M/T 22x8x15 slicks (used)
-Rear - Tokico Illumina's, Millenia 15x6,cheap 185 tires
-Poly Race Seats (Summit)
-S-AFC II, TechEdge WBo2 Wideband, Harrison OBD-II Scan

Here are the mods. No magic pill in the list. No turbo. No supercharger. Looks like he got a full exhaust treatment, intake, hot plugs, light racing seats running on used slicks. The only thing in the list the adds any real power is the Nitrous.

For the all mag types, when Motor trend testing the G35 (which has the same 3.5 VQ engine) they thought the acceleration was more like a V8 then a V6. A mustang GT has 4.6L V8 with only 260hp, which btw was my first kill in a I35 (the infiniti's version of the maxima for those not familiar) loan car. The inifiniti was a dealer loan car that was full stock and it was an automatic. The acceration is just stupid. The only way you wouldn't already know that is if you've never driven one. If you judge the car by the mag or the cars exterior, you'll be looking at tail lights wondering "What happened?!"
The above is a little more believable when talking aboput a 12.3 run. What's the difference??? Well, it started out as "nitrous and slicks", then it became "nitrous and headers with slicks", and now we see there are three other areas of major mods too. I have no problem with that, and a 12.3 is impressive even with these mods.

However, let me say that a LOT of what causes the import crowd to lose credibility are the things they neglect to mention when they qoute times. It would be like a guy in an 03 Cobra claiming he made 500rwhp with "Just" a pulley and a cat back exhaust while neglecting to mention his chip and throttle body.

The chip and throttle body sound like, and in a way are, very "small mods" that happen to make a hell of a lot of difference in power and acceleration. If I had a nickle for every time I have seen an import guy dyno his turbo car on 4.00 a gallon gas and then qoute this as "street" hp I would be rich. "Forgetting" mods is basically the same thing. Credibility is earned.

It may seem like I am nit-picking, but the whole premise of this post is the time he ran with "just" nitrous and slicks. If you are going to qoute a time bragging about how little you did to get x acceleration and want credibility then you had better remember to list everything. As I said, there are THREE mods up there that can make a lot more hp than the car would without them and take this from the "bullshit list" to the "impressive but could be done" realm.

As for why a Maxima with similar weight, setup and hp wont run Vette Z06 times it's simple...we call it physics. Weight transfer and center of gravity benefit the Vette, not the Maxima. All else being equal, with equal drivers, a Maxima should lose to a Z06. You either need more hp or traction to make it even. With the above mods and slicks Vette Z06 times seem about right. As, hp should be well over 400 at the crank with the above mods. And, it is believable that there is enough extra hp to equal Z06 times as he has done.
syr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 04:14 PM   #50
SkyTorch
AF Enthusiast

Import crowd loses credibility? With who? We're the friggin majority! In either case, a car with a V6 beat a car with a larger V8. I'm sure by listening to the TA/Firebird, it also had it's share of aftermarket products. Most of the mods in the Max list can collectively add some hp and acceleration (w/o NO2 and slicks), but not enough to give the launch that I saw on the video. That was a stellar take off. And while we all have had some doubts about the validity of the claim, don't come here spouting hearsay about the "import crowd" to use your phrase. Who you need to be talking to is the guy that got his ass kicked by a family sedan and got recorded on video. Seems like that guy lost some "credibility".

Last edited by SkyTorch; 05-15-2004 at 09:08 PM.
SkyTorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 05:39 PM   #51
bk2kmax
AF Enthusiast

Syr, FYI, headers and whatever else he had on the car Bar the N20 doesn't really add a hell of alot to our cars, some have dynoed with an extra 20plus hp more with the headers, so that isn't anything hugely important in this equation.

And as stated, I'm certain the V8 it raced was modded, now if this was 2 similar cars and one had headers and the other didn't, then we could claim some credibility issues but as it stands see the video and weep because your beloved V8 just got its' lunch box taken by a Grocery Getter Sedan.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:57 PM   #52
Jimme
AF Newbie

Just to clear up a few misconceptions about MY car.

0. Stock Automatic Transmission
1. Stock internals, open diff, NO lsd and it ran a 1.75 60'
2. The only performance mods other than the nitrous are the intake, exhaust and struts.
3. The intake manifold is stock no mods, just a homemade midpipe and filter.
4. All the other mods are basically safety mods. ie Transcooler, DR mod, colder plugs, S-AFC, wideband etc to save the transmission and prevent detonation.
5. Race weight is 3000 lbs.
6. I am not getting new slicks just backing off to a 50 shot out of the hole.
7. Oh ya the Trans AM did have slicks, they will not allow street tires in the burnout box at our track.
8. If it doesn't rain I am hopefully going to the track on Sat or Sun to try for an 11 with a 150 shot.
9. My car is not a factory freak. If it is then its the 3rd one in a row I have had. All my mods and times are repeatable by anyone who is interested.
10. My guestimate on HP is approx 225 N/A and the nitrous adds another 100 (NX guarantees this to be within 2%). So 325 whp total which is exactly what my 4th Gen 3.0L was putting out when it ran 12.1 last year (same weight too) so it can be done fairly easily.
11. Someone stole my name so I am now Jimme.

PS I washed it yesterday, first time since I got it 2 1/2 months ago so it will definately be faster now. I also am going to be trying out some new lighter rear wheels/tires.

Last edited by Jimme; 05-18-2004 at 12:11 PM.
Jimme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 08:41 PM   #53
bk2kmax
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimme
Just to clear up a few misconceptions about MY car.

1. Stock internals, open diff, NO lsd and it ran a 1.75 60'
2. The only performance mods other than the nitrous are the intake, exhaust and struts.
3. The intake manifold is stock no mods, just a homemade midpipe and filter.
4. All the other mods are basically safety mods. ie Transcooler, DR mod, colder plugs, S-AFC, wideband etc to save the transmission and prevent detonation.
5. Race weight is 3000 lbs.
6. I am not getting new slicks just backing off to a 50 shot out of the hole.
7. Oh ya the Trans AM did have slicks, they will not allow street tires in the burnout box at our track.
8. If it doesn't rain I am hopefully going to the track on Sat or Sun to try for an 11 with a 150 shot.
9. My car is not a factory freak. If it is then its the 3rd one in a row I have had. All my mods and times are repeatable by anyone who is interested.
10. My guestimate on HP is approx 225 N/A and the nitrous adds another 100 (NX guarantees this to be within 2%). So 325 whp total which is exactly what my 4th Gen 3.0L was putting out when it ran 12.1 last year (same weight too) so it can be done fairly easily.
11. Someone stole my name so I am now Jimme.

PS I washed it yesterday, first time since I got it 2 1/2 months ago so it will definately be faster now. I also am going to be trying out some new lighter rear wheels/tires.
Thanks Jime for clearing up the misquotes I made regarding your mods, I apologize for that.

There are just so many doubters (the ones who troll from other forums to here,even though they can see the video) that I had to lend some credibility to what you did on the track.

And you'll always be Jime to me, no matter what copycat steals your name.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:46 PM   #54
Jimme
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Maxima with Juice only (video)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk2kmax
Thanks Jime for clearing up the misquotes I made regarding your mods, I apologize for that.

There are just so many doubters (the ones who troll from other forums to here,even though they can see the video) that I had to lend some credibility to what you did on the track.

And you'll always be Jime to me, no matter what copycat steals your name.

Hey you did a great job supporting me, thanks. Its nice to get a little help vs someone trying to bust your balls all the time.

I have made a lot of changes etc and some of the stuff I did to the 3.0L I didn't do to the 3.5L etc. That coupled with the fact I am on my 3rd Maxima confuses just about everybody. I also keep on trying different stuff and would like to try the intake mod you mentioned but Matt is keeping that under wraps and I don't really know what it is yet.

Was planning on getting new slicks too but I don't think it would change much. The 3.5 is just that much torquier than the 3.0 and the tires just won't hold, so I hit the 2nd stage after the 1-2 shift. My 60' times are exactly the same as they were with a 150 shot out of the hole with the 3.0L.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:53 PM   #55
SkyTorch
AF Enthusiast

Dude (jimme), whether we all beleive or not, you just keep posting video of V8's getting knocked off the box. Seriously, it does my heart good to see a Nissan put the Kung Fu to some fool. In the long run, we all will fend off the wolves from other forums looking to put thier 1/2 cents worth in where it don't belong. Guarenteed.

If you take request, I like to see a mustang next
Old 05-19-2004, 06:38 PM   #56
bk2kmax
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Maxima with Juice only (video)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimme
Hey you did a great job supporting me, thanks. Its nice to get a little help vs someone trying to bust your balls all the time.

I have made a lot of changes etc and some of the stuff I did to the 3.0L I didn't do to the 3.5L etc. That coupled with the fact I am on my 3rd Maxima confuses just about everybody. I also keep on trying different stuff and would like to try the intake mod you mentioned but Matt is keeping that under wraps and I don't really know what it is yet.

Was planning on getting new slicks too but I don't think it would change much. The 3.5 is just that much torquier than the 3.0 and the tires just won't hold, so I hit the 2nd stage after the 1-2 shift. My 60' times are exactly the same as they were with a 150 shot out of the hole with the 3.0L.
We should be thanking you for representing like that, it isn't often that we'll see things like that.

I like to see a mustang next <quote by Skytorch

Yes, I love to see Rustangs get smoked by Maximas but they aren't really anything too special unless they are Cobras or something so heavily modded that makes it more interesting, hell, I dust Stangs on a regular in my 2k3 and all I have is a GAB.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:41 AM   #57
JBL85
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to JBL85

before you go bashin the stang, I still like and respect the car, its just as easy to make fast as the maxima and from experience, they sure as hell can take way more of a beating, especially RWD.....but when comparing a 12 second Maxima to regular cars, I give it props
Old 05-20-2004, 02:12 AM   #58
SkyTorch
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBL85
they sure as hell can take way more of a beating, especially RWD
True. I seen more than my share of raggedy mustangs still on the road. But then again, I prefer to keep my car off the curb, away from of ditches and I don't take turns at 80 in the rain. Often I associate the car with the driver. A seventeen year old kid with more power than brains. It also popular with the hair plug/gold chain crowd. Sorry, man. It makes tops on my kill list with beemers at a close 2nd.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:57 AM   #59
JBL85
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to JBL85

Dont get what you are talking about....but about beating them....if you are in So Cal I have a few people that would race you at the track for money.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:58 AM   #60
Jimme
AF Newbie

Just an update for this year. I took the engine out of the 2002 Maxima and swapped it to my 95. Using the same mods with the exception of cams the car now runs 12.4 @ 109 N/A. (no nitrous)

Next step is a 100-150 shot of spray to see what kind of 11 sec run it will do.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35