Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Neon | Plymouth Neon
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 09:29 PM   #1
ikeyballz
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ikeyballz
weird SCREEEECH noises.

i have a problem in my neon, when im accelerating, i get this weird SCREEECH noise. i know drive belts make this noise, but it sounds different from my previous experiences. i will change it soon, this weekend, prolly, but i was just wondering what it might be.

i was thinking along the lines of :

1) clutch slippage
2) fan belt
3) AC compressor

what i have noticed is:

1) it happens when im rapidly accelerating.
2) it happens warm OR cold.. fan belts usually happen during cold, only.. and at startup.. it never happens @ at startup
3) sometimes it happens when i let up the clutch..but i think its weird cuz when i press back down on it, it doesnt go away
4) sometimes it happens when im just cruising (at low speeds) at higher rpms

?! weird, right? it seems to happen when theres a change in rpms on the engine, so im leaning towards the acc. belt.. but idk/ anyone w. similar experiences?!
all else = STOCK.
ikeyballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 05:56 AM   #2
denisond3
AF Enthusiast

Re: weird SCREEEECH noises.

I have dealt with a few slipping clutches, but none of them made any noise at all. If its not an alternator or a.c. belt screech, then I am -guessing- it is a bad bearing in the alternator. I havent ever heard a screech from a bad bearing in the power steering pump; I think they get lubed from the power steering fluid. But the alternator bearing only has the lube it was made with. Also a bad bearing on the timing belt tenionser could screech I suppose - its another 'sealed' bearing. You can run without the a.c. being on to see if the screech stops - that might indicate it was an a.c. belt. If you shut the car off, and turn the headlamsp on for ten minutes, and then start it up; you will increase the likeliehood of the alternator belt complaining about the extra load, with a good screech.
I have also had a throwout bearing go bad and make noticeable high pitched noises - but they always changed in character depending whether I had my foot pushing on the clutch pedal a little, versus having my foot off the clutch. And of course when you have the clutch pedal 'depressed' the noises would stop. Because the clutch plate wasnt turning anymore.
denisond3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:46 AM   #3
ikeyballz
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ikeyballz
Re: weird SCREEEECH noises.

eek. im an idiot, thanks for the reply tho.. turned out it WAS the acc.belt.. its just a lot higher pitched than i was used to.. tightened it up a bit and its all good..

and yeah, it was throwing me off..cuz itd screech when my engine was @ same idle..and sometimes when it wasnt.. it was as tho it slipped spontaneously w. no provacation..but sometimes when i was TRYING to get it to slip (Rev, starting, etc) it wouldnt! thanks! :]
all else = STOCK.
ikeyballz is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Neon | Plymouth Neon