Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Rendezvous
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 03:33 PM   #1
jwalker1970
AF Regular

AWD Disable message (without ABS light)

AWD Disable message (without ABS light)

I had a 2005 Rendezvous Versa-trac in the shop this week.

Problem:

Immediately after starting (within 3 seconds) I would get the orange "AWD DISABLE" message in the Drivers information Center. However, I would NOT get an ABS or any other warning lights.

Diagnosis:

1. I checked for power/ ground at the Rear diff shut off solonoid. Pin C: (pink wire) is 12v when ignition is on, Pin B: (black) is constant ground, and Pin A: (light blue)Axle actuator control from the PCM.

2. I had power and ground on pink and black.

3. To test if you are getting a signal from the PCM, attach a multi-meter (with duty cycle.... i bought one for $28 at Sears #82351). One connector to Pink and the other to Lt. Blue. Then I started the engine. Duty cycle should read between 35 and 99 %, and should fluxuate. Note, GM says the duty cycle will switch between 60-90% then 30-40%. Mine stayed right about 99% and switched to around 64%. IF YOU ARE GETTING A READING, you are getting a message from your PCM. Note: with the multi-meter attached, I no longer got the "AWD DISABLE" message.

4. I replaced my rear diff shut off valve pn# 88896067. These can range up to $450. I bought mine from Cobratransmission.com for $249.99.

5. I installed the valve, refilled (with my used fluid), cleared codes and it works fine!

6. If you get a "howl" when you turn corners, you will need to change your rear diff fluid. USE genuine GM versatrak fluid. 12378514. you will need 3 16.9oz bottles. Install then drive in about 8 tight figure 8's and drive for 20 minutes, finishing with a few more tight figure 8's. The noise should be very faint or gone.

Good luck!
jwalker1970 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Rendezvous