Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-10-2002, 05:53 PM   #1
CricTic
AF Newbie

HELP - Car CD changer going nuts

I just bought a 1994 325is with the 6-disc changer. The changer is acting really erratic, and right now I'm hearing a whirring noise, like the motor's spinning, constantly, even when the car is off. I've tried ejecting the magazine with a credit card (the eject button doesn't respond) and that doesn't help. The head unit simply says DISC ERROR. I'm worried that if I let it be, the motor will run down the battery and I won't be able to start it tomorrow.

I think the only way to kick it out of this mode is to power cycle it, and the only way I can think of to do that is remove/insert the fuse. Trouble is, I don't know where the fuses are and which fuse to pull. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.
CricTic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 07:52 PM   #2
bmwgirl
AF Newbie

Re: HELP - Car CD changer going nuts

Did you find anything out about this?
bmwgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 01:51 AM   #3
BulletTooth
AF Newbie

Reset the changer by unplugging for a minute it and plugging it back in. You should find the plug on the back of it. Worst case pull out the head unit and unplug it from there. Be careful if you don't have the code for the radio you won't be able to turn in it back on if you disconnect the stereo.
BulletTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 07:15 AM   #4
bmwgirl
AF Newbie

Thanks for the additional info.

My boyfriend is a mechanical engineer, hence mechanically inclined. He played around with the changer and the mechanisms aren't working right. The discs get stuck.

From other forums, we read that this is a common problem and that it can be repaired but not guaranteed. I have had the car for over a year and I think the previous owner had the same problems witht the changer. For some reason it is just not a dependable device.

I will try plugging it back in the trunk and see what happens.

Thanks.
bmwgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 03:32 PM   #5
bmw325is_1
AF Newbie

I also have the same problem with the 1993 325iS. Also the cassette player is going nuts (it plays for 5 sec and then changes the side of the cassette forever).

Let me know if the problem is gone and I can also get it working. :-)
bmw325is_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 03:46 PM   #6
98328i
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to 98328i
Re: Re: HELP - Car CD changer going nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325is_1
I also have the same problem with the 1993 325iS. Also the cassette player is going nuts (it plays for 5 sec and then changes the side of the cassette forever).

Let me know if the problem is gone and I can also get it working. :-)

I have heard of your problem... The CD Changer is no longer working its best to replace it (not worth it to fix it) you can replace it w/ a Alpine for less the cost of actual "BMW" CD Changer or a company makes a direct replacement named USA Spec you can buy it or check it out at www.crutchfield.com

For the casstte try cleaning it w/ a "wet" cleaner and that should fix the problem.
98328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 02:02 AM   #7
BulletTooth
AF Newbie

The problem with the cassette is old belts. Best thing to do is replace them, not too hard but you gotta know what you're doing and be careful not to lose any parts when you open up the stereo and especially when you take the tape mechanism apart. For the CD Changer I would also recommend buying a new one. And just because a person is a mechanical engineer doesn't mean that he could fix anything that involves moving parts.....just a thought.
BulletTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 11:24 PM   #8
noblestar
AF Newbie

Re: NEED HELP with my 94 740i cd changer (Post #2)
My changer from my 94 740iL never left a disk in it when I ejected the mag all the cd's that went in came out. I got rid of the car still have the changer but never used it since. Would sell it for the right price. If you want to go that way it only takes less then five minets to change it. I have the 6 cd changer, mag & bracket. If you want e-mail me with offer(+ shipping?).
Dan
noblestar2@msn.com
noblestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:19 PM   #9
wildthinglula
AF Newbie

Smile Re: HELP - Car CD changer going nuts

I read the posts and was able to fix my CD changer in my '93 325is. Thank you!! There was a disc error readout and I was unable to remove magazine. I thought I would need a new changer. However, I used a credit card and was able to remove disc cartridge. The changer reset on its own and worked for the first time in months!!! I RULE!!!! 67 year old grandma!!!!
wildthinglula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:14 AM   #10
tanim
AF Newbie

as soon as possible you should repair it by skilled automobile engineer....
tanim is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series