Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 03:52 PM   #1
citygirl
AF Newbie

Climate control and Brake Issues

So I have two problems I'm hoping to get help with my 99 Intrigue.
First is my climate control. Some days I will start my car and the climate control will not come on. If you wait 15 to 20 minutes it usually will turn and then sometimes it wont work for days. I made it through this winter but need to find a solution.
My second problem are my brakes. I replaced my front pads as well as my brake booster. Since then everytime is step on the brakes the front end shakes and if I'm going over 50mph the whole car and steering wheel shake. Should I replace the pads, rotors and calipurs or is it some other issue? Any help would be appreciated
citygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:57 PM   #2
remark123
AF Regular

Re: Climate control and Brake Issues

Some will say that the climate control is the ignition switch... as far as the brakes go, sounds like something is loose with the caliper mounting. I'd like to know more about the brake job... sounds like some thing is loose like maybe the pads didn't get seated in the caliper brackets.
remark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:23 PM   #3
ricebike
AF Enthusiast

brakes: i assumed you just slap new pads on w/out doing other things

did you resurface / check for lateral runout on the rotors?

did you clean/ relube the sliding caliper pins as well?

slight offtopic: why u changed the booster? you heard the vacuum leak? or there was no vac assist?
ricebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:30 PM   #4
citygirl
AF Newbie

I replaced the brake booster as the vacumn was going. When you stepped on the brakes you could hear the air seeping out of it. As for the rest I'm going to replace the ignition switch this weekend as well as the Calipurs and see if that makes a difference. I may change the rotors as well even though they were turned when I did the original brake job.
Thanks for your help though, much appreciated
Old 04-09-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
Air Biscuit
AF Newbie

If the whole car is shaking when you're going 50mph and the brakes aren't being applied (not clear in your post), I would say it's not brakes. More likely a wheel out of balance or an alignment issue. Does the car pull one way or the other when you apply the brakes...usually suggests alignment. If not, might help to have your tires rebalanced.

If I misread and it shakes at 50 when you apply the brakes, my vote would be a warped rotor.
Air Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:45 PM   #6
ricebike
AF Enthusiast

i agree w/ buiscuit

if you were going over 50 & it's shaking, try rotating the tires= front to back and see if it changes anything; you're trying to rule out out-of-balance tire/wheel assembly w/ this trick

but, you also said when you applied your brakes, you'll also shake... hinting you have a warped brake rotor...

but, i guess you had a shop do the brake job? since you had the rotors turned/ machined?

i'd look at the old brake pads as well (but i guess they already thrown them away), and if the inners were more worn out than the outers, then you may have a caliper or unlubed caliper sliding pin problem

also, some shops willl also inspect your ball joints/tie rod ends if they're also worn for free as part of their oil-change service... that can be another possibility w/ your shaking problem

----------------------
as far as your climate control problem, it may not be your ignition switch; only some vehicles were affected that way from reading around the forums... just do a proper diagnosis before switching parts that may be working to begin w/...
ricebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
citygirl
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Climate control and Brake Issues

So it seemed that it was the ignition switch that was causing the problem for the climate control. As for the shaking when applying the brakes, I had the calipurs, pads and rotors all replaced and now its gone. Just want to say thanks for your imput and advise, this is a great site.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue