Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 05:26 AM   #1
wrigley123
AF Regular

Plug Gap

I received the spark plug gap over the phone from my local Toyota dealership. The guy was very unsure of himself when he gave me the information. I can't seem to find the correct gap. I know that information is usually on the inside of the hood, but my hood was replaced due to an accident. I have a 2003 Tacoma 2.4L automatic. Thanks for the help!

Mike
wrigley123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 08:08 AM   #2
Flash75
AF - Advisor

Re: Plug Gap

Mike, According to the 2004 shop manual the gap is .043". Torque is 14lb. ft. The 2004 manual is supposed to be good for 2002-2003 models. My under hood label gives valve clearances but no plug gaps.

Hope this helps,

Clifton
Flash75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 09:18 AM   #3
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.

Go to a Toyota parts counter with your VIN and order a set of stickers for your hood. Someday, someone will need them. The body shop who replaced the hood should have done that.
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 11:12 AM   #4
wrigley123
AF Regular

Re: Re: Plug Gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash75
Mike, According to the 2004 shop manual the gap is .043". Torque is 14lb. ft. The 2004 manual is supposed to be good for 2002-2003 models. My under hood label gives valve clearances but no plug gaps.

Hope this helps,

Clifton

Thanks Clifton. According to the dealership the gap is .048" - .052". I set the gap to .050" for all 4 plugs. The truck runs and idles great, but I seem to be using alot of gas. I just replaced them 4 days ago. The plugs that I removed were the original since new. I installed the exact same plug. The original plugs were gapped anywhere between .045" - .051" from the factory (that's strange) . I am new to toyotas but not new to routine maintenance. A gap of .048"-.052" seems alot to me.

Mike
Old 02-11-2005, 11:16 AM   #5
wrigley123
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R.
Go to a Toyota parts counter with your VIN and order a set of stickers for your hood. Someday, someone will need them. The body shop who replaced the hood should have done that.
OK Brian......thanks

any input on the gap?

Mike
Old 02-11-2005, 12:56 PM   #6
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.

I'll look in my shop manual when I get a chance. Probably the same as Flash, but I'll have a look anyway.
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 02:30 PM   #7
Flash75
AF - Advisor

Mike, This reference also recommends .043" for non platinum plugs. That gap has been listed for all Japanese vehicles I have owned during the past 15 years.

Clifton
Old 02-11-2005, 04:37 PM   #8
ILETEMGO
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to ILETEMGO Send a message via Yahoo to ILETEMGO
Re: Re: Re: Plug Gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley123
Thanks Clifton. According to the dealership the gap is .048" - .052". I set the gap to .050" for all 4 plugs. The truck runs and idles great, but I seem to be using alot of gas. I just replaced them 4 days ago. The plugs that I removed were the original since new. I installed the exact same plug. The original plugs were gapped anywhere between .045" - .051" from the factory (that's strange) . I am new to toyotas but not new to routine maintenance. A gap of .048"-.052" seems alot to me.

Mike
What kind of plugs did you use? The Toyota (Denso) plugs are pre-gapped from the dealer. Toyotas seem to be extra sensitive about ignition parts.
ILETEMGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 11:01 PM   #9
wrigley123
AF Regular

I used the Toyota Denso plugs. I had no idea that the plugs were pregapped. As I said before the gaps of the plugs that I removed were anywhere from .043 to .051. and the dealership told me the gap limits were .048 to .052.

How come the truck idles and runs so well with a .050 gap?

I am using more gas.....is that because of the gap?

Regap the installed plugs to .043 or just replace them?

Thanks Guys!

Mike
Old 02-12-2005, 07:17 AM   #10
wrigley123
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley123
I used the Toyota Denso plugs. I had no idea that the plugs were pregapped. As I said before the gaps of the plugs that I removed were anywhere from .043 to .051. and the dealership told me the gap limits were .048 to .052.

How come the truck idles and runs so well with a .050 gap?

I am using more gas.....is that because of the gap?

Regap the installed plugs to .043 or just replace them?

Thanks Guys!

Mike

(e) Adjust the electrod gap.
Carefully bend the outer electrode to obtain the correct
electrode gap.
Correct electrode gap: 0.8 mm (0.031 in.)
(f) Using a 16 mm plug wrench, reinstall the 4 spark plug.
Torque: 20 N·m (200 kgf·cm, 14 ft·lbf)
(g) Reinstall the ignition coil.

The above is info I got directly out of the 2003 toyota factory manual

The 2RZ-FE motor spark plug gap is .031

Can someone please verify this!

Thanks

Mike
Old 02-12-2005, 08:23 AM   #11
Flash75
AF - Advisor

Anytime you need spark plug gap information it can be found in the NGK plug finder. The 2003 Tacoma comes up as .044". I know Toyota usually has Denso but different brand plugs normally recommend very close or the same as factory specified gaps.
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/apps/ca...60000&country=

I owned several Toyota's from 1970 to 1990, I don't remember any of them being overly fussy about ignition parts. I have used NGK, Autolite, Champion and Denso in them and never had a spark plug or ignition problem.

Mike; Your engine runs ok with the bigger gap because the gap isn't out of the operating limits of the ignition system. If the engine runs ok and doesn't skip or miss under any operating condition
the increased fuel consumption is probably caused by something other than the spark plugs. Most vehicles will consume more fuel during the winter due to longer warm up time from cold. Short runs will also hurt more in winter than during warmer seasons.

All plugs do come from the factory pre-gapped. The gap should be ok for most applications, but all the technical advice I have read suggests that plug gaps should be checked prior to installing. Over time the plug gaps will erode and the gap increases in the process. The gap will usually increase several thou. over a period of 30k miles. Will that be too much? I'm not sure but I suspect you will not notice any difference. I wouldn't buy new plugs but I would probably re-gap the new plugs to .042"-044". But I don't know how much work is involved, I haven't done mine yet with only 9k miles. If it's a lot of work I would leave them alone and perhaps change them a little early the next time.

Clifton
Old 02-12-2005, 09:13 AM   #12
Flash75
AF - Advisor

Mike; Well, it's obvious I cannot verify that information. Sorry about my last post. My information came from a 2004 owners manual and the 2004 Toyota shop manual. NGK shows a change from .032" to .044" for 2003 model years but that is an NGK reference not Toyota.

Clifton
Old 02-12-2005, 12:02 PM   #13
wrigley123
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash75
Mike; Well, it's obvious I cannot verify that information. Sorry about my last post. My information came from a 2004 owners manual and the 2004 Toyota shop manual. NGK shows a change from .032" to .044" for 2003 model years but that is an NGK reference not Toyota.

Clifton
Clifton,

Thanks for the info. I am really confused now because of the wide range in gap tolerances that I am receiving. I find it hard to believe that a gap difference of 0.20 would not have some kind of negative effect on the performance of any vehicle. The factory manual shows 0.31 gap. The dealership says 0.48 to 0.52. The gap of the original plugs were way above 0.31. As for the gas mileage. I am losing about 6mpg. It started to go down right after I changed the plugs. I have to beleive that the gap is causing the excessive fuel consumption. I still can't beleive that the truck runs and idle so well. I don't know of any vehicle that has an ignition system that will allow a range of 0.31 to 0.52 gap in the plugs and still run smoothly. I changed the plugs just because. My owners manual calls for the plugs to be replaced at around 32000 miles. I currently have 45000 miles on my tacoma. I DID NOT change the plugs because the truck was running poorly.

Mike
Old 02-12-2005, 12:14 PM   #14
wrigley123
AF Regular

This I just got off the DENSO website. I realize it's not the exact same plug that is stock in the Tacoma, but it is a DENSO substitute for the Tacoma. Look at the gap!!!!!!

Make: TOYOTA
Model: TACOMA
Sub Model:
Displacement: 2.4
Engine Type: L4
Plug Number: IK16 (Click to Purchase)
Gap: 0.032
Ignition Wire*: D.I.

Mike
Old 02-14-2005, 12:15 AM   #15
Celica Tech
AF Newbie

Ok, Ill help you out because its what i do for a living. First things first electrode gap is only half of your problem, diferent spark plugs have diferent heat ranges and this is probably where your looseing your MPG.

Yes toyota factory plugs are pre-gaped, I dont know what the gapping is because I just grab them and put them in the car. Toyotas are very picky about ignition parts, and ive seen non-stock parts create some very strange probems.

Best way for you to fix your problem and know its done right is to go to the dealership parts counter, look for a person that looks like they know what they are doing (not always male) and get plugs for your exact car.

There are 3 types of plugs used, and a numer of heat ranges betwean them, not for certain on how many:
Resister type : about $2 (replace every 30k)
Platnum type : about $4 (replace every 60K)
Irridium type : about $8 (replace every 90K)

Also I just remember that some toyota motors require duel electrode plugs, there should be a sticker on the motor somewhere that states this. This sticker will also state what type of plug to use.
Celica Tech is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma